PDA

View Full Version : In the market for a new pistol scope

Newtire
04-25-2008, 09:20 AM
Since my Swift brand pistol scope died & the Swift folks won't help me out with replacement or warantee-even if I pay (since I bought the scope used), I am in the market for a Bushnell scope.

I have one of the Firefly reticle ones mounted on a rifle I have & it is top notch. I hear the regular 2X6 Bushnell is a great one so was looking at buying one of those but seeing as how they are selling a Firefly reticle one for the same price, thought it might be a good one also.

Anyone have any advice would appreciate it.

Thanks,
Newtire

454PB
04-25-2008, 01:30 PM
I'm no expert on pistol scopes, I've only scoped one revolver in my life. I bought a BSA pistol scope (cheap) and mounted it on my Ruger SRH .454 Casull. It took 5 shots to destroy it, and BSA replaced it quickly. Put the new one on and it took another 10 shots to destroy it. OK, I'm getting the picture here. I replaced it with a Weaver scope, which has held up for about 100 rounds so far, and has a good reputation. If it fails, I'm done with scoping pistols.

MT Gianni
04-25-2008, 02:01 PM
I put a Leopold 2x on a super blackhawk. It shrunk my groups by 1/2, made it ackward to carry and target aquisition in the field was 3-4 times as long. I sold it and have not regretted it. Gianni

45nut
04-25-2008, 02:37 PM
I'm no expert on pistol scopes, I've only scoped one revolver in my life. I bought a BSA pistol scope (cheap) and mounted it on my Ruger SRH .454 Casull. It took 5 shots to destroy it, and BSA replaced it quickly. Put the new one on and it took another 10 shots to destroy it. OK, I'm getting the picture here. I replaced it with a Weaver scope, which has held up for about 100 rounds so far, and has a good reputation. If it fails, I'm done with scoping pistols.

I had a Tasco World Class 1-4x last almost 200 rounds on my SRH and a Swift 4x last almost 50 rounds on the gun, finally got a 4x Leupold and have had no further issues. The Leupolds only have 1000 rounds or so on them so it really isn't much of a test yet. [smilie=1:

trickyasafox
04-25-2008, 03:18 PM
I've had great luck with burris on handguns. they are pricey though.

Newtire
04-25-2008, 03:39 PM
I know about the loss of quick target acquisition & all that but would like one anyway.

Tricky, thanks for that info. I had a Burris about 15 yrs. ago & remember it being pretty reliable. Mine was a 2X on a Ruger SBH .44 mag.

I'll keep my eyes open. Still wondering about that firefly Bushnell, whether it's any good or not as the rifle one I have is really right up my alley.

Geraldo
04-25-2008, 03:54 PM
One word-Leupold. They cost more because they will fix their scopes, but in the long run it's worth it versus buying new cheap scopes on your own dime.

James C. Snodgrass
04-25-2008, 05:45 PM
:castmine:I have tried about all of them and currently own 6 of the elites and a couple fixed power T/C scopes and have had zero problems. I have shot the bushnells on 308win,375 jdj, and every thing else you can think of. They are repeatable, as far as the firefly goes I've shot it on a pistol but think the cross hairs are to thick for shoot off targets but would be good for hunting. James

Dale53
04-25-2008, 08:10 PM
I have used scopes on pistols (actually revolvers) for many, many years. I currently have several scoped including a Model 29 S&W 8 3/8" and a Ruger Red Hawk 7½" and have shot both thousands of times (literally) with 23-24 grs of H110 and 250 Keiths as well as a few 310 gr bullets without problems. One of them is a Leupold and one is a Burris. I hold them both to be excellent.

"Finding the hole" was only a beginner's problem. After I used them for a while, it became automatic to position the combination in such a manner that I was "looking through the hole" at presentation. I have taken a half dozen deer with those two revolvers.

Recently, after eye surgery on both eyes (over a period of several years) I have come to favor Red Dot Sights for general use. I have several Bushnells and they have done well by me. My most trusted pair, however, are a couple of Ultra Dots. They have done well, locally, mounted on 1911 slides and I can't think of anything that would be more abusive regarding recoil. They seem to hold up VERY well under this treatment. THAT is certainly positive testimony.

Dale53

snowwolfe
05-02-2008, 01:19 AM
I switched over to red dot sights on my 460 and 500's. The Ultradots I purchased have never failed me and they have a life time warranty.

Whitworth
05-02-2008, 08:47 AM
I switched over to red dot sights on my 460 and 500's. The Ultradots I purchased have never failed me and they have a life time warranty.

I use an Ultradot 30 on my .475 and couldn't be happier! What is the scope going on?

Newtire
05-02-2008, 09:08 AM
I use an Ultradot 30 on my .475 and couldn't be happier! What is the scope going on?
It will be going onto a Ruger Buckeye Blackhawk in .32 mag./32-20. I have had a few unexpected expenses come along to take care of first but maybe sometime towards the end of summer, will be fat & happy again. Right now it's pay off the doctors, dentists & college (for son) bills.

MtGun44
05-02-2008, 11:36 AM
One of the best bang for the buck is the Nikon. Very high quality
glass, very good mechanicals, not as expensive as the Leo.
Leo is TOP qual, Nikon is pretty much equal to Leo for less $$

That said - My 629 in the pic to the left has a Nikon, but my rifle
scopes for that trip were all Leo.

Give a look at the new model Simmons. They were bought out by
Mead, a major player in the astronomical telescope field. Mead
has dramatically improved the optical, and more importantly the
mechanical quality of the Simmons Master Series rifle scopes.
These NOW are really good scopes at cheap prices, very unusual.
Look up the way they mount thier reticle tube, it is the best ever
bar none.

I haven't tried the Simmons pistol scopes yet, but have personally
4 rifle scopes that are excellent, several dropped the group sizes
on their rifles over the previous 'ordinary' (not Leo or Nikon) scopes
due to better mech quality. So - I want try a Simmons pistol scope
and will soon.

One man's opinion.

Bill

bigdog454
05-02-2008, 11:56 AM
I tried BSA and some other low priced scopes on my Ruger SRH 454 Casull, and blew them all apart within 25 rounds. Called Simmons and they said that their scopes were guaranteed to take the recoil. So I ordered a 2.5 power scope. It worked fine, but I had trouble with target aqusiation on moving deer. I then ordered a Simmons multi-dot red dot, the one that has 4 different recticles, and love it. Not expensive and will take the recoil of the 454. Killed 5 deer the last 4 seasons with it.

snowwolfe
05-02-2008, 01:36 PM
Seriously, check out the Ultradot's:
http://www.larrysguns.com/Departments/UltraDot-Optics.aspx?page=2

The Ultradots allow you to even change the size of the dot and they are reasonably priced at $179.

ForneyRider
05-02-2008, 04:01 PM
I picked up a Burris 4x with rings for $180 at a gun show.

It is on B-square mount on my Ruger New Model Blackhawk .41 Magnum.

I'd druther have the Ruger 41 Hunter and Ruger rings. :)

I think the Burris glass is great. The adjustments are 1/2 MOA.

Poygan
05-02-2008, 05:12 PM
Back in the early 80s, I put a Burris on a Thompson Center Contender octagonal bbl .357. I was very satisfied with it. If anyone is interested in it, shoot me a PM with an offer. This is a 4X and I have the original box, black finish. Also could include the rings and the contender base if you are interested. If you live in Wisconsin, we could discuss the contender as well....

Miner
05-03-2008, 01:05 PM
I have a NcStar Pistol Scope 2-7x32 on my SRH 454. I shoot 200 round plus a week and it has held up. Before I ordered it I called New Century and asked if their lifetime warranty covered the 454. They said yes and since all of their scopes are tested on 50 BMGs they were confident they would hold up to the magnum pistols. I thought I'ld put it to the test by making the first box of fifty 300 gr XTP/MAG super barkers. Scope held up. Not bad at all for a scope that cost $50.95 shipping included, brand new, off Ebay. I am impressed with it.

S.B.
05-03-2008, 02:03 PM
I agree with posters who suggest a Leupold 2X and would add that at dawn or dusk a red dot is more than up to the job and is much easier to see because of the lighted dot? No magnification so no parallex problems! I've got an Ultra 4 dot on my hunting handgun. Dot is adjustable to four sizes and reostat has 13 levels to increase or decrease brightness.

http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/medium/1841044_leftside_again.jpg