PDA

View Full Version : 4 Bore Proof Test, And Results

huntingsgr8
01-29-2016, 02:07 PM
About 1 year ago I came on the forum looking for advice in building a 4 bore caplock, today I finally proof tested it. The standard charge I will use in this monster is a 4oz projectile, and 14 drams (385grs) of powder. The proof load consisted of a 6.6oz projectile, and 550 grains of 3f Goex. Here are some pictures, 159429159430159431159432159433159434159437159436 The first is of a .22 pellet container with the charge in it, the container is approximately 2.5" in diameter and 7/8" deep. The second is of the hollow based projectile I cast from a mold I made, still haven't perfected it yet. The next two are of the setup I had to fire it, I set the cap off with a party sparkler. The next show the penetration into the frozen block of poplar it shot into, and the projectile after. The mold was cold when I cast the bullet, so it wasn't as solid as it could have been. The piece on the left was the front, and the piece on the right was the rear. In the future I will heat my mold up for better fill out, I was just being lazy when I cast this one. The shot https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P9UwEUiK9GU&feature=youtu.be The aftermath https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SLuXCJk9HVs&feature=youtu.be

Omnivore
01-29-2016, 05:56 PM
Strange. It looks as though the skirt blew, and the projectile exited, and impacted, as two separate pieces. The hololow base slug may have to be re-thought. If a less-than-perfect cast resulted in separation, then it seems you're right on the edge of, if not beyond, the pressure that the projectile can handle. Or am I misinterpreting the photos?

Anyway; that's a pretty impressive shooter there. Holy smokes! You plan on hunting elephant, or T-Rex with that thing? I can't make out any evidence of rifling on the slug. It that a rifle or a smooth bore?

TenTea
01-29-2016, 06:15 PM
Pretty neat!

Whenever I hear the phrase *4 bore* I think Henry Bowman and Unintended Consequences by John Ross.

Hickory
01-29-2016, 06:29 PM
You must have something big around the house you want to kill.

dondiego
01-30-2016, 11:07 AM
I could use that for a wood splitter at my house!

bubba.50
01-30-2016, 11:46 AM
calls to my mind the old sayin' : "just because you can doesn't mean you should." I guess it's better than takin' up jugglin' hand grenades for a hobby but, if I wanted to go that big I'd take up cannon buildin'. but that's just my opinion & yer welcome to it. luck to ya & my best wishes to yer health.

Col4570
01-30-2016, 12:08 PM
just wondering,what is it for.It would make a good avalanche Starter.

wgr
01-30-2016, 01:38 PM
I do,nt think i was ever that mad at anything

45 Dragoon
01-30-2016, 04:19 PM
Col4570,
That's funny, I believe it was born in your country!

Mike

Duster340
01-30-2016, 04:25 PM
Very cool. Congrats!

Gaucho Gringo
02-01-2016, 03:01 AM
Pretty neat!

Whenever I hear the phrase *4 bore* I think Henry Bowman and Unintended Consequences by John Ross.

Same here. I am rereading it again for the I don't remember X time.

huntingsgr8
02-01-2016, 10:14 AM
Strange. It looks as though the skirt blew, and the projectile exited, and impacted, as two separate pieces. The hololow base slug may have to be re-thought. If a less-than-perfect cast resulted in separation, then it seems you're right on the edge of, if not beyond, the pressure that the projectile can handle. Or am I misinterpreting the photos?

Anyway; that's a pretty impressive shooter there. Holy smokes! You plan on hunting elephant, or T-Rex with that thing? I can't make out any evidence of rifling on the slug. It that a rifle or a smooth bore?

The hollow in it is 5/8" wide and rounded on top, so I'm thinking of tapering it to give it more strength near the front of the projectile, and being over the level of pressure this thing can take would not surprise me, it was a proof load. Proper casting technique should resolve the issue, if not I'll have to bite the bullet and make a ball mold. It's a smooth bore, and as of now the barrel weighs 15 pounds, the bore diameter is 1.007", the OD is around 1.843", and the length is 32". As far as hunting with it....well I'll make that judgement after I fire it shouldered for the first time.

huntingsgr8
02-01-2016, 10:22 AM

We've got some mean squirrels up here.

huntingsgr8
02-01-2016, 10:25 AM
According to the Weatherby recoil calculator, which has a calculation for black powder, at 800 fps the barrel would have recoiled with 245 ft/lbs of force, and at 1000 fps the barrel would have recoiled with 335 ft/lbs of force. I've never felt so sorry for a piece of firewood.......

LynC2
02-01-2016, 10:50 AM
We've got some mean squirrels up here.

No lie, that thing is big enough to qualify as an anti-tank gun! I recall reading that the old time professional hunters in Africa all had developed a terrible flinch from shooting those cannons.

Walla2
02-01-2016, 12:04 PM
No lie, that thing is big enough to qualify as an anti-tank gun! I recall reading that the old time professional hunters in Africa all had developed a terrible flinch from shooting those cannons.

I wouldn't worry about the flinch. That thing will make your eyeballs swap sockets!

huntingsgr8
02-01-2016, 04:20 PM
Ha Ha. If nothing else people's reactions when i tell them what I'm making convinces me to push on. Albeit I'm doing everything in my power to do this safely....if there is such a thing with one of these.

Omnivore
02-04-2016, 07:56 PM
I'm doing everything in my power to do this safely....if there is such a thing with one of these.

As a Russian friend of my Russian (now American) friend once said;
"Is gun. Is not safe."

sharps4590
02-05-2016, 08:44 AM
I think it's pretty cool! Don't know that I'd want to shoot it but it's cool! Awww...I'd have to try it....once.

Travelor
02-05-2016, 10:26 AM
I shot a 1" bore muzzle loader one time at a match. It was an original Civil War rifle said to have been made and used to shoot the boilers on steam boats. The gun must have weighed 60 pounds and we placed a 6" piece of pipe insulation between us and the butt. Kicked like a mu;e, but now I can say, "Been there, Done that".

Will be interesting to see how your project goes.

huntingsgr8
02-05-2016, 11:19 AM
As a Russian friend of my Russian (now American) friend once said;
"Is gun. Is not safe."

I was hoping for one such a reference:smile:

huntingsgr8
02-05-2016, 11:22 AM
I think it's pretty cool! Don't know that I'd want to shoot it but it's cool! Awww...I'd have to try it....once.

Well I figure with one of these you cold test people's sanity. Once is a test, twice means they're a masochist, and three times or more means they're certifiably nuts.....I wonder where I'm gonna fall...on that scale I mean:-P

webradbury
02-05-2016, 07:51 PM
I saw one of these one time...I think it was called a "swivel gun"! Will

Sharpsman
02-05-2016, 09:34 PM

Me wonders....if he's married to Rosie????

Nicholas
02-13-2016, 01:38 PM
Yes to the swivel gun reference. Would be great for fending off home invaders for that purpose loaded with grape. Or taking out a flock of turkeys at once come the spring season. Alternatively, go with Bubba and mount it on a carriage. There is no way I would ever put that gun to my shoulder. I am sure an insurance company, either life or health, would balk at a claim based upon its use as a shoulder mounted weapon.

fouronesix
02-13-2016, 04:22 PM
4 bores (aka 4 to the pound) were very common during the late 1800s for ivory hunting in Africa. While the recoil is big, it can be managed. There is another thread about shooting a 4 bore flintlock trade gun in the forum. http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?288601-African-Trade-Flintlock-Range-Report

Obviously, the easy answer for firing one of these from the shoulder is to start with a light charge and work up.

Re: shooting a 4 bore muzzleloader. Firing one load of 15 drams (just over 400 grains) of "coarse" BP and 4 oz hardened lead ball under another similar powder and ball load, as described by Frederick Selous in his book, A Hunter's Wanderings in Africa - a compilation of his journals from 1871-1881, almost ended his career as an ivory hunter.

02-13-2016, 04:48 PM
fouronesix beat me to it. I'd experiment with a round ball. But, really, this is your game. I'll love to read about your future developments. What will the stock look like? Better take a mono-pod / walking stick with you into the woods.

Don Purcell
02-13-2016, 08:42 PM
Ten Tea, that was also my first thought. That and whenever I hear 5" Smith and Wesson .44 Magnum mentioned.

Col4570
02-18-2016, 04:05 AM
There is a Two Bore somewhere in England.It was owned by the late Ivan Barby an avid Antique gun collector.I had the privilage to shoot it a few times.It was very long and heavy,on bringing it up to shoot, your front leg would need to be well in front and the other well back.As I recall he loaded with Ten Drams of BP and a cup full of Shot.Ivans Son inherited his collection and the Gun might still be with him.Apparently the Gun was built in Oxford and funded by contributions from Two Scottish Villages in order to feed them with the prolific Wildfowl that abound in those regions.In retrospect I wish I had paid more attention to it and taken Photos as a record.If I ever get the chance again I will do that.It is a mighty Shotgun and I well remember the recoil.

sharps4590
02-18-2016, 08:55 AM
Two bore....an 8 oz. projectile. Shouldn't that have wheels and be called a "1/2 pounder"?:D

Col4570
02-18-2016, 05:07 PM
Two bore....an 8 oz. projectile. Shouldn't that have wheels and be called a "1/2 pounder"?:DYes it would measure two balls to the Pound.but bear in mind this is a shotgun so would not fire a single projectile.I remember the Big Ramrod,it was a percussion gun.I remember a Lady shooting it by resting the barrel on Hay Bales since she could not hold it up,she screamed when it fired.

BigEyeBob
02-18-2016, 08:07 PM
The English man explorer Sir Samuel Baker owned a 2 bore muzzle loader and carried it in Africa.
his was nicknamed "Baby"
what was the saying ? ,,,, mad dogs and English men go out in the midday sun

ksfowler166
02-18-2016, 10:28 PM
Got to love the 2ga punt guns. So much more manly than those girly 4ga guns.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EzwbcVbE9rw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O9r_ZckAmkc

Rattlesnake Charlie
02-18-2016, 10:35 PM
Some early 2 and 4 bore guns were used as "wall guns". No doubt they could cut a swath in any attacking group. Pretty much like a swivel gun, maybe a little more mobile.

dondiego
02-19-2016, 10:08 AM
Get your "ducks in a row" and punt!

Col4570
02-20-2016, 07:40 PM
Captain Peter Hawker,had a Double Punt gun made that had one Barrel Flint and the other percussion with a single trigger.On Firing the Percussion Barrel ignited fractionaly before the Flint barrel.The effect was to hit the Birds on the water and those that escaped and where rising where hit by the flint barrel since the recoil raised the Bow of the boat and of course the Muzzle.Apparently very few of the Flock ever escaped.The idea came from the fact that once a single barrelled Punt gun had fired it would take a considerable time for any birds to come back.

Geezer in NH
02-29-2016, 06:37 PM
I would try a flat base bullet and dump the hollow base as the charge seems to blow the skirt off. That is not good for penetration.

Many here seem to think a big gun is not needed but they are just jealous. Beware of those. [another quote from UC]