PDA

View Full Version : Hornady AP Press Pocket Swage Tool

Dutchninja
01-29-2016, 10:15 AM
Anyone currently running one of these? Thoughts opinions? Reviews on midway looked promising but i'd thought i would check here as well. I do a lot of .223 and want something faster than the Dillion.

jmorris
01-29-2016, 11:14 AM
How much faster than the Dillon do you figure it will be?

You have to put a case on a post and take one off another before each pull of the handle. With the Dillon and a rubber band they are auto ejected.

If you really want faster, a 1050 will run circles around either of them.

Dutchninja
01-29-2016, 11:24 AM
saw of some reports that it was a bit more consistent in removing the crimp with different head stamps. just was curious to see if people liked it better than the Dillion.

If i sell my Barrett, a 1050 could be in order......

Bonz
01-29-2016, 11:34 AM
I have and use the Dillon Super Swage tool but I am certainly considering buying this - https://youtu.be/ColxtXXs1PU

I swage the primer pockets on all 224/5.56 and .308/7.62x51 brass before I reload it, whether it needs it or not (I really can't visually tell on how tight the primer pockets are). Just running them thru a progressive press seems easier to me.

dudel
01-29-2016, 12:03 PM
I don't swage much; but when I do, I swage with the RCBS swage kit. Good enough for the small volume I do.

I saw a YouTube of a Dillon swager using a rubber band or spring to fling to swaged cases off the rod and into a container. That seemed pretty quick to me.

Could not find any info on the Hornady one on their web site. So unless Hornady has incorporates some sort of auto feed and auto eject I don't see how it could be faster than the Dillon for a comparable price.

jmorris
01-29-2016, 04:35 PM
Could not find any info on the Hornady one on their web site.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ColxtXXs1PU&feature=youtu.be

Not sure why they think you need a die in the station where you pull the case off the rod but the one dropping them in might help.

Guardian
01-29-2016, 04:49 PM
They let a good opportunity go to waste with the removal die. All it needs is a plastic insert with fingers cut into it (think hole in the middle with 5 or 6 slits radially from the hole) and it would have been auto unloading. A ramp on it could direct them to a tray below.

jmorris
01-29-2016, 08:38 PM
Even something like the Lee bullet sizer would have worked. Then you just need an inverted case collator and something to feed just one case at a time. Then all you have to do is change everything to load...

Dutchninja
03-20-2016, 01:05 PM
Well I bought that swage tool for the Hornady AP press. With the amount i have to do i don't mind feeding the die by hand. I did rig up some plastic tubing ($4) to dump the cases into a bucket to take that step out of having to grab finished case. MUCH BETTER than my Dillion even with the rubber band method. I did have a batch where one of the cases got slight stuck, with the lnl bushing, just took it out and dump all the cases in the bucket. Alot faster and it swages the cases just fine.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=951hd0ecJlo&feature=youtu.be

rbt50
03-20-2016, 11:54 PM
I have one for 223 and it works great. alot faster then the Dillon. dillon is still a good tool that I still use.

dudel
03-21-2016, 09:20 AM
I have one for 223 and it works great. alot faster then the Dillon. dillon is still a good tool that I still use.

Will the Hornady tool also work on pistol cases?