PDA

View Full Version : CMP M1 Carbine Notice

muskeg13
01-29-2016, 05:33 AM
The CMP will begin accepting mail orders for a limited number of M1 Carbines on Monday, 1 Feb 2016.

http://thecmp.org/cmp_sales/rifle_sales/m1-carbine/

http://myemail.constantcontact.com/CMP-Sales-Update---28-January-2016.html?soid=1105372907623&aid=Fls0q3Y7yvE

Service Grade $685

Field Grade $625

milrifle
01-29-2016, 02:47 PM
Wish I qualified. Long ago in a galaxy far away, I was a member of a gun club and shot a couple of matches and got my DCM (Remember that name?) Garand. I don't ,now, recall what all the requirements were back then, but looking at the current requirements, the club membership is my main obstacle. There are just none in my area and the ones that are within some reasonable driving distance seem to all be school groups and youth organizations. Oh well, they're probably all gone by now at that price.

Hardcast416taylor
01-29-2016, 04:49 PM
Well, the CMP has sorta answered the question concerning what a m-1 carbine fetches as far as cost and condition.Robert

WALLNUTT
01-29-2016, 05:34 PM
If you want to deal with the CMP and need a club you can join the Garand Collectors and even get a magazine. It was only $25 a couple of years ago. I don't know what it costs now.

muskeg13
01-29-2016, 06:28 PM
Club membership shouldn't be a problem. There is a link in the online order form to CMPaffiliated clubs and organizations.

A listing of affiliatedorganizations can be found by clicking on our“CLUBS” tab on our web site at www.TheCMP.org. If yu haveany difficulty in locating a club, please contactthe CMP at 256-835-8455 or byemailing custserve@TheCMP.org. We will find one for you.

Some of these allow you to join online and print out yourmembership card. I looked into this afew years ago before I realized that my prior military service counted as bothclub affiliation and participation in marksmanship or firearms activity. One such organization is: The Garand Collectors Association. http://thegca.org/

Rattlesnake Charlie
02-02-2016, 11:08 PM
Well, I up and ordered a service grade one.

Now, I wonder what ammo I should acquire. Some research on this website indicates that many of the M1 Carbines do not do well with factory ammo, but perform much better with cast boolits. I'm suspecting that the factory stuff is not of sufficient diameter, and the cast boolits are the correct diameter. If you have experience here, I would appreciate a boost to speed up my learning curve.

Widners is advertising Tula 110 gr FMJ at $299.45 for 1m. Non-reloadable, that but is good when you are letting all the relatives blaze away and loosing the brass in the high grass/weeds. Is this good ammo for the surplus M1 Carbine?

country gent
02-02-2016, 11:23 PM
I believe a membership in your states rifle and pistol assoiation will qualify you also. This membership should also get you a newsletter giving matches thru out the state along with public and private ranges in the state. I Know ORPA and MRPA do. DO a web search for Georgia rifle and pistol Association they should come up.

lancem
02-03-2016, 01:20 AM
Pretty much don't matter, the mail order sales are sold out, something like 30 carbines per store, first come first served. Consider them gone...

leadman
02-03-2016, 02:13 AM
The Tula may not be a very good cartridge. A few years ago the CMP sold and off brand 30 carbine cartridge and there were many report of different issues with it. Don't recall the name now but might have been Tula.
There is a forum on the CMP website that might help you out.
I shoot cast in both of my M-1 carbines. The Lee 120gr RN GC is the most accurate of the cast boolits. The 113 gr Lee feed in some carbines, some not.
The Sierra 110gr JHP is very accurate in my guns. The scoped gun has fired quite a few moa groups at 100 yards. W296 is probably the best powder I have tested in the M-1 carbine at 14.5grs.

Kevin Rohrer
02-03-2016, 08:18 PM
And they are sold out.

TNsailorman
02-05-2016, 05:19 PM
Maybe if we can get a Republican President in office this time he will allow all those Korean M1 carbines to come back to the USA. The Dems won't.

bigdog454
02-05-2016, 06:23 PM
My question is why do we have to pay such a high price for surplus rifles? They were paid for already with our tax money. I know that there is historic value, but.
I should have bought more of them when they were selling them for $20.00 (showing my age).

flounderman
02-05-2016, 07:48 PM
I think you can join some club like the Michigan Gun Collectors, or the M1 Garand club and qualify.

Mauser48
02-05-2016, 08:38 PM
People lined up at the stores at 3am. All the carbines were gone in a few minutes. They received 5000 mail orders for only 1000 carbines and they picked randomly. Not sure what the huge deal was. I have seen a lot sell for around $750 and you can pick exactly what you want.

tigweldit
02-05-2016, 08:59 PM
In 1963, my dad bought a Rock-Ola carbine from the gov't. for $20.00, and that included shipping. Then he bought a couple of cases of LC'52 ammo for .02 per round. My, how prices have changed. Still have the carbine and the original receipt. That gun has never had a fail to fire or feed. Still have some of that LC ammo stashed away. I just feed Rock cast lead and 296 now. What a fun gun! Even the wife likes to shoot that one. Hope everyone gets a chance to play with one at some point.

Mumblypeg
02-05-2016, 08:59 PM
Hummm.... I guess I had better hold on to mine...... sure makes me like it more.

wrench man
02-06-2016, 04:01 AM
Wish I qualified. I don't ,now, recall what all the requirements were back then, but looking at the current requirements, the club membership is my main obstacle. There are just none in my area and the ones that are within some reasonable driving distance seem to all be school groups and youth organizations. Oh well, they're probably all gone by now at that price.

Yep, when I found out it was $210 to join the local "club" I figured I could just use that $ to go towards a rifle at a local gun show instead, and I was going to ask about it anyway?, and the rep from the club was PITCHING a TANTRUM about all the guys that were just joining to get a rifle from the CMP!, I just walked away, not sure I'll ever own an M1 Garand??, I already own an M1 Carbine.

Shiloh
02-10-2016, 10:13 AM
I kick myself for a rash decision to sell my Inland.

Shiloh

shdwlkr
02-10-2016, 11:49 AM
I bought a new one last year for around $700 out the door so why would I pay what CMP is asking for a used one? History value?? To me it is just a fun rifle to shoot and is a copy of what I had in the military like so many others things I have. Would I like one of the originals, yes but not at that price and challenge of getting one