PDA

View Full Version : New guy (humor)

54bore
01-29-2016, 12:10 AM
My dad told me a story recently that has had me laughing for days every time I think about it, a friend of my dads by the name of Bill was contemplating getting a muzzleloader but wasn't sure he wanted to spend the money for everything and possibly find out he really didn't care about it, he has a friend that is really in to muzzleloaders so bill talked to the guy about borrowing one and everything needed to take it to a place he knew to shoot it, (test the waters and see if it was something he could see spending the money and getting in to?) anyway the friend set him up with everything and sent him on his way, (friend couldn't go for whatever reason?) bill loaded up and headed to his spot of choice, thru advise from the friend that loaned him everything he loaded the gun, put a cap on, took aim and 'snap' it didn't go off? He removed the cap and placed a new one, took aim and 'snap' again? Flustered he didn't know what to do? He ended up taking the muzzleloader out in the brush and hiding it, and then driving several miles back home so he could call his friend and tell him what had happened and what to do? He was obviously scared to put the gun in the car with him! LOL, His friend said let's start by you going back and GETTING MY DAMN GUN!! LOL, I don't know the rest of the story? Dad and I both were rolling laughing

Omnivore
01-29-2016, 03:48 AM
That's sort of funny, but a little sad too.

You don't give a newbie your gun and send him on his way. You wait until you can go with him.

w5pv
01-29-2016, 09:45 AM
Safty is always the best bet.

mooman76
01-29-2016, 10:25 AM

You don't give a newbie your gun and send him on his way. You wait until you can go with him.

I couldn't believe it myself. MLs aren't rocket science but they are different and some odd things(like this) can go wrong that can get corrected easy enough if you know what to do.

A work friend got the BP bug and was asking me questions on how to do it. Not sure why all of a sudden but he was. We traded a gun for a ML and took it out shooting. I would have gone but he didn't seem to want to work around my schedule. Anyway he called me from the range with the same problem all panicked. I just told him not to worry. Remove the nipple and put a pinch of powder in there and he should be fine even if he has to do t more than once but eventually it should fire. It worked of coarse.

54bore
01-29-2016, 10:43 AM

You would have to know bill to fully understand, the guy is a complete comedian type character! He has shot guns of all sorts all of his life but had no experience with muzzle loaders, at least he was smart enough to be afraid of it!

Col4570
01-29-2016, 11:10 AM
Our Doctor took up Muzzleloading,a friend found him a nice Double Percussion Gun at a good price.I found him original Powder and Shot Flasks.He purchased an original Leather on Oak Guncase.Along the way someone told him about Static electricity might set Black Powder off and he started to worry.I took him out to shoot some Clays and all worked good.The problem was that he dare not approach the wooden Box he kept his powder in unless he donned Rubber Boots and Rubber Gloves and filling his Powder flask was a fear full ordeal for him.He was never happy with things,I tried to reassure him and that I had been Using BP for years without a mishap but he was never convinced.After he died his Daughter put all the gear up for auction.He was a nice old gentleman and being the doctor he always asked if I smoked (He smoked continuously and so did his wife but he frowned on patients doing it).One life recollection that has both humor and poignancy When reading this link.

MT Chambers
01-29-2016, 06:59 PM
I can believe anything and I've seen a lot, what about the guy trying his gun out before deer season, at 200 yds. his wife was standing beside the target pointing out where he was hitting.

54bore
01-29-2016, 07:18 PM
I can believe anything and I've seen a lot, what about the guy trying his gun out before deer season, at 200 yds. his wife was standing beside the target pointing out where he was hitting.

Now this is crazy, scary!!! and funny to! Is this for real?