PDA

View Full Version : Parts for an arbor press

abunaitoo
01-28-2016, 07:29 PM
I have an small arbor press that is missing the handle and gear assembly.
There is no markings at all on it.
It looks like the ones made for bench rest loading.
Any idea on how I might find who makes it, then where I might get the part for it????
I have two others, but they are all different.

Ickisrulz
01-28-2016, 08:04 PM
I have an small arbor press that is missing the handle and gear assembly.
There is no markings at all on it.
It looks like the ones made for bench rest loading.
Any idea on how I might find who makes it, then where I might get the part for it????
I have two others, but they are all different.

A picture might help.

Ole Joe Clarke
01-28-2016, 08:23 PM
Harbor Freight sells a small one pretty cheap. Finding parts for yours might be like me finding parts for my Lyman pot, they are scarce as hen's teeth.

bangerjim
01-28-2016, 11:30 PM
Unless it is an old well built one with sentimental meanings, it is not worth fixing. Just buy a new one at HF. That's what I did when one of mine cracked.

banger

abunaitoo
01-29-2016, 03:48 AM
I think it was made for bench rest reloading.
Pictures of press.

01-29-2016, 05:30 AM
My guess is an unfinished home engineering project.

bangerjim
01-29-2016, 12:55 PM
I have a very old (prohibition era) capper for beer bottles that looks like that!!!!!! The nose looks like it is made for bottle caps. Not everything in this world is made for guns and reloading! Not a lot of strength like a real arbor press. Mine are 1/2 and 2 ton.

If I were you, I would not waste time trying to fix it. I have the capabilities to cut the spline for that but would not even waste my time. For less than $50 you can get a 1/2T press from HF.

banger

merlin101
01-29-2016, 01:32 PM
I gotta go with bangerjim on this, but I would stash it away for future projects. The base and post could make a killer powder measure stand.

Green Frog
01-29-2016, 05:13 PM
To go contrarian on the flow, that could be finished/restored to do a good job of bullet seating or even neck sizing with the proper dies. I'm tending to go with 1066 thinking it may have been a home-built project... I built something similar in a shop class at my local Community College specifically to size my schuetzen shells on the rare occasions when they need it. Any machinist worth his cutting oil should be able to make the missing pinion gear to engage the rack, and a handle shouldn't be much of a challenge either. If it were mine (and I didn't already have one) I would try to get it finished. JMHO, of course, and YMMV!

Froggie

bangerjim
01-29-2016, 05:33 PM
Any machinist worth his cutting oil should be able to make the missing pinion gear to engage the rack, and a handle shouldn't be much of a challenge either.
Froggie

That is true. I personally could easily cut one. Would I waste my time? No.

If the OP has access to a free machine shop, all the milling machine & indexing head tools, gear cutter of the appropriate pitch, and the skills to use them, then have at it. Most machinists I know do not work for beer! I certainly don't.......any more.

There are just some times in life where it is a waste of effort to try and fix things and realize it is best to move on and buy new.

banger

abunaitoo
01-29-2016, 05:47 PM
The bar with the teeth goes up and down.
From the looks of it, I don't think it's home made.
If it is, the guy was way better than me.
I'll see if I can find a gear for it, make a handle, and try to bring it back to life.
Another project for the fun of it.

labradigger1
01-29-2016, 06:36 PM
I'll see if I can find a gear for it, make a handle, and try to bring it back to life.

If you try to find or make a gear you should read up on diametral pitch. You will need to know what you have vs what you need.

EDG
01-29-2016, 07:00 PM
You need to measure the number of teeth per inch of the rack.
Then measure the bore for the gear. The read up on diametral pitch to buy the right gear stock. Then it is just a little machine work.
The gear stock is easily found in a Stock drive products, PIC, BERG or other small mechanical parts catalog.
Those types of designs are cook booked. Many of the components are standard catalog parts.

bangerjim
01-29-2016, 07:26 PM
A "rack" of gearing (bar with teeth as you call it) is not that hard to make. I have made several over the years for custom tooling and instruments. It can definitely be "made at home". The "pinion" gear that drives the rack is cut from round stock and is genarally cut out of one piece that extends thru the body, with a shaft extending out the side with a hole for the handle.

Both have to of the same size (diametrical pitch and tooth count) to match up correctly.

The handle is a no-brainer.

bangerjim