PDA

View Full Version : .32 Wcf

Bent Ramrod
04-24-2008, 11:39 PM
I've been enamored of this little cartridge ever since I read Elmer Keith's description of how he bought one as his first cartridge sixgun. I didn't start out with the caliber, but last I checked, I have three rifles (Winchester Low Wall, Ballard #2 and Savage 23) and 3 pistols (Colt Army Special, rather violently reworked Colt Bisley and Cimarron SAA clone) chambered for it. I've also had a Colt Police Positive and a Smith Hand Ejector in the caliber, and am still kicking myself for selling off the latter.

I also learned the guitar accompaniment and the words to the late, great Robert Johnson's .32-20 Blues.:mrgreen:

I've glommed onto and tested most of the Lyman offerings in the 75-to-115gr range, as well as a few SAECO, Lachmiller and other brands, but the three numbers I keep going back to are the Ideal #3118 (now Lyman 311008) and its hollow-pointed version, the #31133, the #311316 and its hollow pointed derivative, and the #311419. These three numbers will do all that can be expected from the cartridge.

Slugging throats is recommended, as the nominal diameter of .311" is not always encountered. The Low Wall prefers .310", the Ballard and the Bisley seem to like .311", the Savage seems to have no particular preference between .310" and .312" and the Colt Army Spl and the Cimarron definitely prefer .314". Fortunately, the moulds I have are oversized enough to accomodate all these diameters.

So far, all the guns handle all the boolits mentioned satisfactorily. However, some particular favorites are given below:

Win. LoWall: Ideal 3118, 11.0 gr SR-4759

Ballard: Ideal 3118, 6.0 gr Blue Dot

Savage 23: Ideal 311419, 14.0 gr Reloder 7

Bisley: Ideal 3118, 4.5 gr Unique (works in Army Spl as well)

Cimarron: Ideal 311316, 4.5 gr SR-4756 or 4.0 gr American Select

Of course, I had to attempt Elmer Keith's recommendation of the".32 Magnum load" which was the 115 gr bullet (I figured Ideal 3118) ahead of ten grains of 2400. I got up to 9 grains of 2400 in the Bisley, which did 2" at 25 yards, before I chickened out. The sound was not so much a loud noise as the sensation that someone had inserted a railroad spike in my ear and smacked it home with a baseball bat. I don't even use that load in rifles, now, but it really got out there quickly.

Mattern mentioned in his 1926 book Handloading Ammunition that the .32-20 had a funny habit of throwing one wide one out of five which would spoil an otherwise excellent group. I have often found this to be the case, although I generally don't need any help from a cartridge to spoil a group with a flyer. Generally a "good" group will run from slightly under 1" to 1-1/2" at 100 yards, with a flyer enlarging things to maybe 2-1/4" for rifles. With pistols, a "good" group for me is 2-1/2" or under at 25 yards; however I seem to do better at tin cans, knockover gongs and the like at 50 yards than I do at half the distance with paper. At least that's what it seems like, anyway.

I find that in many cases a good crimp on the boolit actually enhances .32 WCF accuracy, especially with SR-4759, which needs all the pressure it can get to burn completely. This is particularly noticeable in the Low Wall, and since I crimp for the revolvers anyway, I wind up crimping all the loads I shoot. I started with the Lee Factory Crimp die after I got tired of the slight bulge under the seating die crimp interfering with chambering in the Bisley, and am now experimenting with a C-H Taper Crimp die, which seems to iron the (potential) bulge that might develop below the crimp down even better than the Lee die does.

One of the drawbacks of this cartridge, at least from the perspective of one who stocked up on brass in the Old Days when it was semi-obsolete, is that each lot seems to be of a different length, and most of these lengths are slightly less than the nominal length of the shell. I loathe case trimming even at the best of times, so I generally adjust the dies up and down to fit the batch of cartridges I'm doing at the moment. If they fit in the cylinder of the temperamental Bisley, they'll fit in anything else I have. I don't feel the lack of carbide dies is much of a drawback; case life seems better than the .44-40 anyway. New manufacture cases may not have this length problem, but it'll be a while before I use up my supply, so others' comments on this issue are needed.

In the modern sense, the full loadings of the .32 WCF are neither fish nor fowl. They're pretty overpowered for small game, and underpowered for large. The hollow-point boolits are sort of overkill; the flat-points hit quite resoundingly, but the weight is kind of light for deep penetration. However, the late-nineteenth to twentieth-century woods loafer, fence line rider, or subsistence hunter could doubtless do quite well with this cartridge. The guy I bought the Savage from said it was owned by an "old deer poacher," and the thoroughly-worn outside and pristine bore inside would seem to give credence to the idea that this was the well-used tool of an expert.

Can't think of a better ending for this screed than the old paper-magazine bromide of the 1950's-1960's: "So if you got one of them old .32-20's collecting dust in your closet, get it out and try it! You might be pleasantly surprised!"

cuzinbruce
04-25-2008, 09:28 AM
Hi Ramrod, It is a fun cartridge. My first centerfire rifle was a Win'92 in 32/20. Still have it. Also a Remington M-25 pump gun and 3 S&W 1905 revolvers. You are right on about the different diameters for the bullets. I think Colt and S&W just used their tooling for other .32 pistol cartridges to rifle the barrels. The revolvers I have slugged all had larger bores than the Win'92. Winchester brass (new) always measures the shortest, and they are the ones that invented the cartridge!
I use the Lyman moulds too, including a 313445 wadcutter (.32 Long) in the revolver. But lately I have been using RCBS 32-098-SWC the most. About 100 grains,same profile as the 3118.
For crimps, I like the Redding Profile Crimp Die the best. Puts a real nice, rounded crimp on the case. Just make sure the case lengths are all the same and use a light touch of lube every 3 or 4 shells.
It's a nice day around here, I think I will go shooting.
Bruce

McLintock
04-25-2008, 02:41 PM
I'm playing around with 32-20's in Ruger revolvers, a New Model Buckeye Special and an Old Model (3 Screw) 30 Carbine with a fitted 32-20 cylinder. I like 12.0 grs of IMR4227 with a NEI 115 gr gas checked bullet for a moderate load and 14.5-15.5 grs of H110 with the same bullet for a hot load. I'm not much of a pistol shot, but with a semi rest I can hit cottontail sized rocks pretty consistantly at 75-100 yards with both guns. With the Buckeye Special and the hot load (14.5 grs), I put 4 touching and one "flyer" the opened the group to about one inch at 25 yards, shooting off my shooting sticks for single shot shooting. I sure like the recoil a lot better than my .44's or .45's. I size bullets for both guns to .311 as the Buckeyes use a .30 Carbine barrel also, so it's .308-9. Great little round and I'd like a rifle for it some day.
McLintock

beagle
04-25-2008, 09:20 PM
Seems like I keep coming back to the 3118/311008 in my small .30s too. It's ahard bullet design to beat.

Hard to beat in the .32-20, .30 Carbine, .32 Mag and even the .32 Long.

Really works well in my Ruger Buckeye .32-20./beagle

xtimberman
04-26-2008, 09:48 AM
I don't have a .32-20 now, but I've handloaded for three guns over the years - a '73 Winchester, a '92 Winchester, and a Colt SAA. You used to be able to find a nice .32-20 much cheaper than other calibers in those days - and that was the draw for me!

.32-20 was the first .32 magnum and it still packs a mighty punch - especially from a rifle! I'm not gonna tell you about some of the larger critters that have expired instantly from bullets flying from my two rifles. Paper ballisticians cry BS and I just smile from experience. The sharp crack must've scared them to death. :)

When I was developing loads for the '92 Win and SAA, I noticed that my best loads with 100-115gr. bullets had powder charges that were exactly half that of my best loads for 255gr. bullets in my .45 Colt SAA. I have since seen that curious relationship in print several other places. There's not a lot of .32-20 loading data out there, but plenty of standard .45Colt load data to work from. Don't use magnumized data for your Freedom Arms ordnance!
For example if your .45 Colt SAA likes 255gr SWC + 8.5gr. Unique, then your .32-20 SAA is probably gonna really like 110gr. RNFP + 4.25gr. Unique. Don't be obtuse and think I'm saying that this will work with all powders, but it will with Unique, 2400, BlueDot, Universal, HS-6, Herco, and many others. None of my guns shot as well with fast powders like Bullseye and RedDot as they did with slower ones like ones in the Unique/Universal to 2400/4227 range.

xtm

Newtire
05-17-2008, 08:11 PM
I have the Ruger Buckeye with one cylinder in .32-23 & the other in .32 H & R.

In the .32-20 I have been using HS-6 & HS-7 alot. I also have used alot of 296 & AA#9-all with good success.

I have been having real success with the 120+gr. GB Round Flat Nose and Saeco #322 and then right along side is the trusty RCBS 32-98. I also have an older Ideal mould which throws a 100 gr. slug and is a flatnose thing with a long bore riding surface. It looks ugly but really shoots ahead of 7.5 gr. HS-7. I've also used the 7.5 gr. HS-7 load and the 120 grain boolits.

About the nicest .32 I could imagine for fun plinking yet plenty of power.

chasw
07-20-2008, 10:42 AM
"...my gal has a .38 special, I believe its most too light." - R Johnson

Bent Ramrod
07-20-2008, 05:58 PM
"I got my 32-20, got to set the caps all right."

A domestic situation even Dr. Phil couldn't fix.

45-70 Plinker
08-15-2008, 09:42 PM
I found a load that has worked very well in an old Lyman Reloading Manual that was for a gallery load. Out of an old Marlin 94 it shot .5" 5 shot groups at 25yd. It used the 3118 boolit and 2gr of bullseye without any filler. I have also used the same load (without filler) in a 30-30 Classic Winchester and 45-70 Marlin, with a 145gr collar button boolit as cast and no lube, with same results. DO NOT try this with a half jacket 'plinker' bullet as it will only get about half way up the barrel.

I talked to one of the balisticians at Hercules and he said that the Bullseye at that small amount burned so fast that the primer was lighting the whole charge anyway whether it was held against the primer or scattered down the case.

It has been a very fun and accurate load. In the 45-70 I have had the most fun watching people brace themselves for big recoil and then almost fall over when that small charge went off (got one gal mad at me for it though, but she still shot several rounds after the first one).

missionary5155
08-16-2008, 03:45 PM
Hey Bent Ramrod... I am not surprised your Ballard likes the larger Boolit.. My Ballard was a 38 Long (Barely readable) and distintly says 38-50. Slugs out at .382...
I wonder how many other Ballards are large diameter ?