PDA

View Full Version : 3 or 4 die pistol sets 45 ACP

John Hill
01-28-2016, 12:20 PM
I will be purchasing used 45 ACP brass on line and will be purchasing Lee carbide dies. Should I get the 3 die set or 4 die set? With the Breech lock bushings, the 4 die set costs me about $18 more and makes me go through one extra step.

jcren
01-28-2016, 12:27 PM
Get the 4 die set. With lead bullets, it is very easy to misadjust the seat/crimp and bulge or shave bullets which will cause clambering problems. Many of us like the fcd's post sizing function as a feeding failsafe, but if you have a oversized bore, it can swedge the bullet inside the brass. In this case or if you prefer, get the 3 die set and add an extra bullet seating die set up to crimp only. Just my .02

hermans
01-28-2016, 02:10 PM
I totally agree with jcren, get the 4 die set, it makes for the complete reload, properly taper crimped at the last station.

Eddie17
01-28-2016, 02:21 PM
I agree with above, the 4 die set give you options.

DerekP Houston
01-28-2016, 02:30 PM
I use the 4 die set, seat the bullet and crimp in separate strokes. Haven't had an issue yet with my 45.

bangerjim
01-28-2016, 02:48 PM
That is all I use - 4 die Lee sets for all the several cals I load.

banger

dudel
01-28-2016, 02:53 PM
Four die is the way to go.

John Hill
01-28-2016, 03:58 PM
Thanks for all of the info.
John

jhaston
01-28-2016, 10:22 PM
When I had a Ruger P90 I used a 3 die set with no problems but when I traded for a Sig 1911 with a match chamber I had to get the factory crimp/resize die because my casings were a bit too tight when loaded with cast bullets & the gun wouldn't go into battery every time. I used to get a tight 38 special occasionally too so I use a factory crimp/resize die with those as well.

Bayou52
01-29-2016, 07:00 AM
The 4 die set is the way to go. The 4th die is the Lee factory crimp die which both post-sizes the loaded cartridge and places the crimp at the case mouth.

Bayou52

CraigOK
01-29-2016, 07:34 AM
I'm very happy with my choice to go with the 4 die set

Spector
01-29-2016, 08:47 AM
I agree with the 4 die set up. If the factory crimp die post sizes your boolits in the cases too small just drive the carbide post sizing ring out of the factory crimp die. I definitely prefer to seat first and then crimp.

But then I have a 4 hole Lee turret press and wasn't aware the factory crimp die might post size too much. I guess as someone suggested you could just buy a 3 die set and get a separate seat die and just set it to crimp only, or get a taper crimp die. I'd price it both ways and get the lowest cost option........Mike

r1kk1
01-30-2016, 08:28 PM
I really like Dillon dies for volume loading. Super easy dies to clean by pulling a clip, innards drop into your hand, clean and reinsert and never lose your adjustment.

Take care

r1kk1

StuBach
01-31-2016, 12:59 AM
Agree with r1kk1 on using dillon dies for ease of use.

Additionally, ACP cartridges are designed to be taper crimped which requires the additional stage. The roll crimp found on the seating die will distort how the case seats in the chamber from what I understand. Roll crimp would be more for the 45LC I believe.

Discussion on this over at http://www.1911forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=336338

Mike Kerr
02-02-2016, 12:44 AM
I have 4 die sets for all my pistol caliber reloading even if I got the crimp die independent of the initial set. In other words the most consistent rounds are easiest to produce using the 4 die method. Some people will say you can do it with 3 dies (AND YOU CAN) but once you move away from a single stage press, crimping and seating, are really best performed as separate functions.

Mauser48
02-02-2016, 12:50 AM
I have the 4 die set in .40 s&w and it works great. Honestly, if I had to do it again I would go with the rcbs because you can leave them set up. I have the rcbs set for .357 and it is nice being able to leave them set up. Also, the bullet seating die crimps too so that removes a step. They both work just as good but the rcbs is handier.

David2011
02-02-2016, 12:53 AM
+1 for what r1kk1 and StuBach said.

David

RogerDat
02-02-2016, 12:56 AM
Lee makes a plain old taper crimp die which you can add to the 3 die set. Just adjust the 3 die set combined seating & crimping die up far enough that it does not crimp and just acts as a seating die. Easier to adjust a die for a single step in the process than to adjust one die to seat and crimp with the same precision. If you wanted to avoid the whole factory crimp die post sizing the case and in the process over compressing the lead bullet.

mtgrs737
02-02-2016, 01:03 AM
You don't need the four die set if you are using a single stage press. I screw the die body up enough so that is does not crimp the case mouth when seating the bullet. On the second pass I screw the bullet seater stem up so that it does not touch the bullet but lower the die body enough to crimp the case. Same die differently adjusted. If you have a progressive press with four stations then you would want the separate crimp die.

RogerDat
02-02-2016, 07:24 PM
^^^^ Exactly! Having a turret press I think in terms of having the dies all in the turret at once. Extra die not needed for single stage.

s1120
02-05-2016, 10:34 AM
You don't need the four die set if you are using a single stage press. I screw the die body up enough so that is does not crimp the case mouth when seating the bullet. On the second pass I screw the bullet seater stem up so that it does not touch the bullet but lower the die body enough to crimp the case. Same die differently adjusted. If you have a progressive press with four stations then you would want the separate crimp die.

That's a good idea I will try. It will be easy to have a crimp that's repeatable, but you will have to mess with the seating depth adjustment every time. Ive had a rough time seat/crimping the new cast bullets I picked up in 45acp, so this might help me. Thanks!

Lefty Red
02-07-2016, 10:52 AM
I will be odd man out, but I like 3 dies for straight walled calibers. I use a 3 dies set up for 380 and 45, but will use a separate crimp die for 9mm cause it's more tapered.

I found out that if you don't over flare there is no problem with the bullet seating and crimping.

Lefty

MtGun44
02-08-2016, 12:51 AM
The four die set usually has the dreaded "Factory Crimp Die" which can and has for many
users ruined their cast boolit ammo by sizing it down excessively after loading, while crimping.

IMO, use only a NORMAL taper crimp only die rather than the Factory Crimp Die which has the
carbide resizing ring in the bottom in addition to the taper crimp shoulder.

Some folks swear by the FCD, more swear at them.

Bill

KnotRight
02-08-2016, 10:27 PM
I have a set of RCBS 3 dies set for all my pistols and added a Redding taper crimping die. Makes adjusting the over all length much easier to do.

MakeMineLead
02-09-2016, 02:57 PM
The four die set usually has the dreaded "Factory Crimp Die" which can and has for many
users ruined their cast boolit ammo by sizing it down excessively after loading, while crimping.

IMO, use only a NORMAL taper crimp only die rather than the Factory Crimp Die which has the
carbide resizing ring in the bottom in addition to the taper crimp shoulder.

Bill

THIS ^^^^^ Bill said it right!

I got the Lee 4 die set and did not like the #4 post/ size crimp die. I got a regular, Lee taper crimp die to replace it. I have loaded for up to four 45's (have three now) and the rounds go through them like poo through a goose! :)

For all revolver calibers, I replaced die # 4 with Redding Profile Crimp dies.

dudel
02-09-2016, 04:08 PM

Bill

Actually, according to the poll here: http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?106715-Lee-Factory-Crimp-die-for-Handgun-Cartridges-and-Cast-Bullets&highlight=fcd+poll

More people use the FCD than don't.

It's only a problem if you don't understand how it works. It's not for oversized Boolits. Works fine otherwise.