PDA

View Full Version : Finer bead front sights?

Patrick L
01-28-2016, 12:06 PM
Does anyone know where to get standard dovetailed front sights with slightly finer beads? The basic ones by Williams, Marbles, etc. all seem to have 1/16th beads. I'd like something just a bit finer, say about 3/64ths or so. I know it doesn't seem like much, but it can be.

contender1
01-28-2016, 12:25 PM
I've not seen or heard of any.
I'd first check Brownells catalog. Then if they didn't have anything,,, I'd get the 1/16th,,, and slowly, gently sand away the bead a bit.

Whiterabbit
01-28-2016, 12:37 PM
Have you checked with NECG? not sure they would have this, but they do sell quality products.

gnoahhh
01-28-2016, 12:53 PM
About two minutes with a jeweler's file will see a 1/16" bead become 3/64". Just saying.

I routinely replace the beads on my hunting rifles with gold from my old wedding band. Gold doesn't tarnish like the base metal factory beads, and the new beads can be filed to any size I want in the process- not to mention finally finding a good use for that darned wedding band!

pietro
01-28-2016, 09:56 PM

Rifle sight beads have long been standardized @ 1/16" (fine) and 3/32" (coarse), so as gnoahhh posted, you'll have to work one out on your own - unless you install a (Lyman) globe front sight with one of the fine inserts that give you the sight picture desired..

nagantguy
01-28-2016, 10:02 PM
About two minutes with a jeweler's file will see a 1/16" bead become 3/64". Just saying.

I routinely replace the beads on my hunting rifles with gold from my old wedding band. Gold doesn't tarnish like the base metal factory beads, and the new beads can be filed to any size I want in the process- not to mention finally finding a good use for that darned wedding band!

Right on, I traded my old wedding band and the engagement ring I gave her for a rifle and a box of parts, 03a3 stuff and some ammo. Felt like I got the better part of the deal