PDA

View Full Version : Just aquired a new 22 pistol

tazman
01-27-2016, 09:56 PM
I found this at my local gun shop a few days ago and it called my name. This is as new, unfired but I got it for quite a bit less than retail.
Smith & Wesson 22A TALO version. The trigger is much better than the standard model. It has fiber optic front sight.
I haven't shot it yet, but my standard model is a great shooter so I have high hopes for it.

jeepyj
01-27-2016, 10:33 PM
Nice find, Some of those are made in Houlton, Maine a little over an hour drive from my home. I picked up 7" barrel edtion a couple years ago and have shot several thousand rounds through it and is still my go-to .22 pistol. Mine has a Red Dot on it and it will drive tacks if so inclined. Mostly I play with a dueling tree that we built. For me it seemed as the more rounds I ran through it the better it shot. Mind isn't real finicky but does like to be scrubbed out about every 800-1000 rounds. I wish you the same luck as I've had with mine!
jeepyj

shtur
01-27-2016, 11:51 PM
Hopefully you can find some .22 ammo to feed that fine looking pistol

tazman
01-28-2016, 07:01 PM
I got into a good supply of 22lr over the weekend. I found a store that had large quantities of Winchester M22 and Federal auto-match. They had limits, but--They were a chain store and I drove past 4 of their stores on my way to pick up this pistol. All of the stores had received a shipment of 22lr that day. I have about a 2 year supply now.

I took the pistol to the range today. I was seriously disappointed with the first few groups it shot. Nowhere near what I am getting with my other pistols. There must have been a burr or two in the barrel because after about 70 rounds the groups suddenly shrunk to more than acceptable size and stayed that way. I finished the session shooting nickel sized groups at 10 yards.
Very happy with the gun.
No malfunctions with any ammo I ran through it.

Petrol & Powder
01-29-2016, 10:11 AM
Glad you like your new toy!
Those sights look to be way above average grade for a semi-factory gun. I like the way they maximized the sight radius on that platform and included fiber optic front sight.

tazman
01-29-2016, 10:52 AM
Glad you like your new toy!
Those sights look to be way above average grade for a semi-factory gun. I like the way they maximized the sight radius on that platform and included fiber optic front sight.

They work very well for my eyes. S&W also included a rail to the top of the barrel for easy addition of scope or red dot sights.