PDA

View Full Version : first casting session

mwohlenhaus
04-24-2008, 10:51 PM
had my first session tonight. had 27 rejects out of 166 total bullets and if I figured right that makes a 16 % reject rate. not too bad. The only major unexpected issue I had was that the blocks were not lining up all the time towards the end. I would assume ( ass outta you and me), that I was just not holding the mould tight enough together.

Buckshot
04-24-2008, 11:57 PM
had my first session tonight. had 27 rejects out of 166 total bullets and if I figured right that makes a 16 % reject rate. not too bad. The only major unexpected issue I had was that the blocks were not lining up all the time towards the end. I would assume ( ass outta you and me), that I was just not holding the mould tight enough together.

..............Congrats are in order. So what mould were you using? Also, regardless of the make of mould, they should line up at closing without the user being required to Gorilla grip the handles. There is another issue at work here.

................Buckshot

JIMinPHX
04-25-2008, 03:08 AM
Was that a Lee mold you were using? Did you remember to lube the locating pins?

runfiverun
04-25-2008, 11:35 AM
probaly got a bit of lead in the mold maybe around the pin.

VTDW
04-25-2008, 12:16 PM
All good comments here. I would suspect lead on the mold faces or as JIMinPHX said lube the alignment pins etc. It always is one of these two things on my molds. Enjoy your new hobby as it looks as though you are well on your way.

Dave

mwohlenhaus
04-25-2008, 12:25 PM
yep a lee 200 gr swc .45. I lubed the pins and it worked, until I got a peice of lead between the faces, I got it outta there and worked like a charm the second go round. does anybody have any experience with the lee ladle as opposed to the other kinds that have a cast body and a circular spout? My lee ladle gets leaded up and it doesn't pour straight outta the spout, so it takes a whole ladle full to fill 2 cavities. any suggestions are appreciated.

HORNET
04-25-2008, 12:55 PM
The LEE ladle is a joke and barely a step up from using an old spoon. The RCBS is MUCH better and the Lyman is pretty good. The RCBS has a little larger capacity and some like the little "fin" on the bottom for moving dross out of the way. Mine broke when accidentally dropped on the concrete a while back so I've been using the Lyman. Not a big difference.

sundog
04-25-2008, 02:02 PM
Biggest problem with the Lee ladle is the straight shank. I put a bend in mine. It works so well that I'm now on my third handle. I like mine quite well.

I also use the RCBS and Lyman dippers. I prefer the Lyman. Years ago I took a drill bit that was slighty larger than the hole in the spout and reamed it out. The bit stays right there on the casting bench in my 'possible' tray and is used periodically to be sure the hole is fully opened and clean.

tarbe
04-25-2008, 09:51 PM
What is the recommended lube for the pins? Wheel bearing grease....10W-30? :hijack: :mrgreen:

Edit: ok...found the Lee mould prep thread.....

mooman76
04-25-2008, 10:55 PM
I agree with sundog. I bent my Lee ladle and it works better. I have used it for allot of years. I also took a file to the pour spout and that helped too. The ladle gets gunked up a little but I just tap it on the pot and it cleans it off. I use WD-40 on mu moulds for lube. Also it helps to have a small brass cleaning brush handy to lightly brush off lead while casting.