PDA

View Full Version : I need a boolit mentor - anyone willing? Ohio... Dayton/Cinci area

atl5029
01-27-2016, 01:57 PM
Hi all,

So I post on here sometimes and shoot a lot of cast boolits I buy from Penn, but now that I'm building an AR in 300 Blk, I'd like to start casting my own since I haven't found a good spitzer cast bullet in the 110-130 grain range I can buy. Most I can find are 110-115 gr round nose for the 30 Carbine

Problem is, I live in an apartment and really don't have a space to smelt and cast lead. I've also never cast my own bullets before. So I'm looking for someone who is an avid caster to kind of show me the ropes and is nice enough to let me use their smelting/casting pots. I can provide my own lead and molds of course. I'm thinking of using the RCBS 7.62mm-130-SPL which is a 130 gr gas checked spitzer. I eventually want to cast heavy subsonics too, but I'm not sure which mold I want yet, plus there are good heavy boolits to buy. I have a reloading space where I can size and lube and apply the GCs, so really I'm just looking for someone to help me smelt and cast. I live in Dayton Ohio. Any takers in the Dayton/Cinci area?

Thanks!

rancher1913
01-27-2016, 10:29 PM
I'm not close enough but if you put your city in the header you might get better results. I know its in the bottom of the paragraph but most just skim the headers.

atl5029
01-27-2016, 10:35 PM
I had actually just thought of that, good point. Can I edit my thread title or should I just repost?

JonB_in_Glencoe
01-27-2016, 10:39 PM
I edited the title for you.

atl5029
01-27-2016, 10:43 PM
I edited the title for you.

THANKS! Much appreciated.

country gent
01-27-2016, 10:57 PM
Im up in Northwest ohio about straight north of you. I cast all big bullets My smallest is going to be a 360 grn 378 dia for 38-55 Im having built. Im more than willing to help out with information and such thru PMs, E-mails or even phone calls. Its around a 4 hour drive from Dayton to where I am at. So would be a llong drive to start and affter a days casting an even longer drive back home LOL. Some recomendations to start out with. Make it easy and buy a known alloy from roto metals, Buffalo Arms or one of the suppliers to start with. Keep it simple a decent mould and small pot. A pot can be a steel sauce pan, cast iron pot or fry pan, One of the electris is nice or a coleman camp stove works as well. Simple lyman dipper is good. A bottom pour lee is a good start also. We had one young gent at the local club would bring his casting gear out and cast under the covered firing point on the ranges. He used the coleman stove, cast iron pot and ladle. He cast for a couple hours shut down the stove and vissually sorted bullets while everything cooled down. He lived in an appartment also and couldnt cast there. Sometimes he would do some shooting while pot and stove cooled off. PM me for my number and any questions you may have.

Static line
01-28-2016, 06:33 AM
Sounds like you need a home away from home with more room and a better atmosphere then an apartment can provide.Maybe you ought to take up camping on the weekends. You can start with a turkey fryer or Coleman stove,a good pot and ladles or if you are near electricity,you might even choose a small bottom pour.Learning what to do and how to do it is not hard and many on here can show you the way.Those are just my thoughts and I don't even know if you like camping.It'll probably be easier then finding somebody close to you that can be your mentor.
I have a spot behind the horse barn that I do my casting in but I have two mentors that showed me the way.One lives out in Idaho and the other lives about an hour and a half south of me.It's a good way to make friends.

Hickory
01-28-2016, 06:42 AM
I'm in Northwest Ohio, probably 60 miles closer than Country Gent.

reed1911
01-28-2016, 09:30 AM
What about doing it on your porch? I've cast in hotels that way at various matches across the country. You can also use a small coleman stove for heat source.

atl5029
01-28-2016, 10:33 AM
I'm in Northwest Ohio, probably 60 miles closer than Country Gent.

Where exactly, Hickory?

Hickory
01-28-2016, 06:00 PM
Where exactly, Hickory?
PM sent

salfter
01-29-2016, 07:17 PM
Problem is, I live in an apartment and really don't have a space to smelt and cast lead.

I live in a one-bedroom condo and do my loading and casting on the patio, with one of Harbor Freight's $28 workbenches (item #46725 on their website) in the utility closet to hold the press, lead pot, or whatever. I replaced the closet lightswitch with a combination switch/outlet for added convenience. About the only thing that can potentially take lots of space is a stockpile of lead (I only have about 200 lbs. right now), and you can squirrel that away wherever you have space (most of mine stays in the storage unit next door until I need some).

Cherokee
01-29-2016, 09:26 PM
I'd be glad to help you out but I'm just too far from you. Others have given you some ideals that are worth considering.

Wolfer
01-29-2016, 11:23 PM
There was a time in my life that casting was difficult where I lived. Since I used a Coleman stove, a yard sale pot and a dipper I would drive out on some public land and cast on the tailgate.

country gent
01-30-2016, 12:01 AM
Our local wallmarts carry a folding aluminum table in the camping session 2 of these one for stove and pot one to drop bullets on sit thing would be hand and work well, just make sure they are stable and solid