PDA

View Full Version : RIA 22 TCM advice needed

Silverboolit
01-27-2016, 01:53 PM
Does anyone here have a RIA with the 22 TCM barrel on it ? I just purchased one and have a question. The rifeling in my barrel is very shallow, almost non-existant, and is rough. Are yours the same way? Overall, I am pleased with the pistol except for the rifiling issue.

Gunslinger1911
01-27-2016, 04:03 PM
Hi Silver, I have a single stack 9mm / 22TCM. I'll look at the bore tonite when I get home.
What a hoot to shoot !! 10.5 - 11.0g Win296 (depends on gun, mine likes 11.0g) with a 40 g cast GC.

roysha
01-27-2016, 04:13 PM
Mine appears to be normal for depth and is very smooth. It measured .2245 when I slugged it so I would know what to size the bullet to.

Currently sizing .225. I shoot the 225-37 gr FN. NOE bullet. I have only tested with the GC version (the mold throws both GC and PB) and I have some PB loaded but have not had a chance to thoroughly test them. There is no leading with the GC bullet using Carnuba Red and an alloy consisting of approximately 10 lbs. of WW and 9 ounces of marine Babbitt. Supposedly the load is generating 1900-1950 fps but I have not chronographed it because until I get the accuracy I want, I'm not going to the bother of checking the velocity. Loads very similar to #2 post except mine comes out of a bottle marked H-110.;-)

Everyone that has shot this gun absolutely enjoys the heck out of it.

Outer Rondacker
01-27-2016, 04:31 PM
I love mine. I am looking at it right now and am not to pleased. To answer your questions yes its very light and hardly has a twist. It looks to also have some small numbers inside the barrel that look to say 223. I can not tell. But I did notice that the crown on mine looks to have had a small chunk broke out of the end of the barrel. I have just under 200 shots out of it so far all factory. I need to get into some better lighting before I say more.
Mine is the mid-size A1 single stack with 22tcm/9mm also. Came with the VZ grips and fiber optics. I love this gun and have shot about 3k 9mm out of it already. I hope the barrel is fine and I am just seeing things.

Outer Rondacker
01-27-2016, 04:38 PM
Ok after looking down the barrel.(out of the gun) I am pissed. I have three what look like claw marks. Not numbers. This is in the rifle grooves. The marks are deeper then the rifling by a massive amount. I took some pics but the whole is just to small to get it to show up. Calling Ivan at CS over to RIA now.

They are no longer taking Customer Service calls. I wrote an email but that does not make me feel any closer to getting this resolved.159266 Not a very good pic but if you look to just after the rifling starts on the left hand side you can make out the three spots. In this pic looks like one.
Perhaps once you put some bullets down the pipe it will take the sharp edges off. I got an email back from CS and I feel they are going to bend over backwards to fix this. I feel if you need any help it will be the same for you. Good luck and let us know what you decide is going on with it please. THanks

Silverboolit
01-27-2016, 07:25 PM
Mine looks like it has about 20,000 rounds down the pipe. I tried to slug the barrel, but the slug shows only minimal rifling in 3 places. I have chatter marks on the lands. Hope to hear something this week from Armscor. On TCM.net, they are having a lot of problems with the rifle barrels. I hope that they can get these issues resolved.

stu1ritter
01-28-2016, 08:02 AM
Not a TCM but I sent my Target model back to them as it wouldn't feed properly. Came back in about two weeks functioning flawlessly with anything I throw in it now.
Stu

AbitNutz
01-28-2016, 08:14 AM
How old is your target? I just bought one and haven't had a chance to shoot it yet. I have an older 22tcm that developed problem but between sending it back and me constantly twiddling with it, I got it to acceptable reliability. I have thrown every aftermarket part at this that would fit. Aftec extractor, Briley spherical barrel bushing, Wilson group gripper, Guncraft trigger, Wolff springs, full length guide rod...polished, polished polished...Not out of desperation but because it became a fun project.

I was hoping that with the Para/Clark ramped barrel that feeding would be improved. Accuracy was never a problem. I'm going to compare my old 22tcm barrel and my new Target 22tcm's barrel and see if there is any difference. You're the first folks I've heard that have brought up a barrel/rifling issue. That could be only because the rest of us weren't observant enough.

As you can see, despite its problems I liked it enough to buy a second, improved version.

Outer Rondacker
01-28-2016, 08:27 AM
To be honest if I never stumbled upon this thread I would have never really looked down that little pipe. It still seams to shoot good. Feeds ok and everyone loves it. I have looked at the carbine in 22tcm and it felt like a poor made rifle. The 1911 on the other hand feels and runs like a race car over my Ruger SR1911. I trust they will fix this issue but only time will tell.

Tackleberry41
01-28-2016, 08:34 AM
I did a google search, but could not find a drop in barrel for a 1911 in 22TCM.

stu1ritter
01-28-2016, 08:52 AM
My Target model is about 2 years old.
Stu

Gunslinger1911
01-28-2016, 11:08 AM
I took the barrel out last night and took a look; nice sharp, clean rifling.
Have something like 300 factory j-word and 500 cast through it, so if it was rough - it's not now.
Hope cust serv can hook you up !

Silverboolit
01-31-2016, 04:59 PM
It is on it's way to the mother ship tomorrow. They said 4-6 weeks turnaround time. Hope they replace the barrel.

catchbull@4
03-07-2017, 07:17 PM
I agree very little difference between groove and bore, but shoots 40gr jacketed well. I've been trying to get cast boolits to shoot, but my only .225 mold is 55gr and the 1:16 twist won't stabilize the boolit. As a reference, the cast groups are easily double the size of the jacketed, which is not suprising since some of the cast boolits are printing side ways at 25yds. Don't want to totally hijack this thread, but I see Roysha is shooting the NOE 37gr and mentioned the accuracy isn't where he wants it. How do the 37gr cast boolits compare to the jacketed? You also mentioned that your mold throws GC and PB boolits; did you order the mold with different cavities?