PDA

View Full Version : son in law is a lucky sob

Lloyd Smale
01-27-2016, 08:38 AM
hes not into guns much. He likes to shoot up my ammo but all he owns is a deer rifle (that I gave him) He came over yesterday with a like new (not even a turn line on the cylinder) 5.5 in blued super Blackhawk. gun even had those redish high gloss newer grips on it. Hes a mechanic and said a guy gave it to him to pay for 200 bucks he owed him and wanted to know if he got screwed!!!!!! Great deal for him poor for me. I about know my 44 mag ammo stash is going to start disappearing.

30Carbine
01-27-2016, 08:47 AM
Sounds like he got a really great deal. Maybe its time to teach him the ways of reloading? I am in the process of doing that right now with my best friend because of my ammo he has been shooting..

Wayne Smith
01-27-2016, 08:51 AM
Sounds like it's time to invite them over, play with the grandkids(?), and get him running the reloading press.

frkelly74
01-27-2016, 08:58 AM
Every time i see my son in law he tries to get away because he is afraid I have a problem with my computer and want him to fix it. Cherish your relationship, he sounds like a good guy. ( and maybe he can fix your car).

Lloyd Smale
01-27-2016, 09:08 AM
he does fix all my vehicles. I pay for parts and he even gets a big discount on them. Cant get him loading though. I even put together a complete loading set up with even bullets primers and powder when he had his 40sw and there still sitting in the basement where he dumped then the day he got it. Twice now ive sat with him over one of my presses showing him how but you have to do it to learn it. The grandkids aren't a problem. they come over and all they want to do is load ammo. They think its real cool. Even the grand daughter. I guess when It comes down to it ill give him ammo. He does more for me then I could ever repay and the funny thing is he and my daughter have been divorced for a year now.

DougGuy
01-27-2016, 09:22 AM
I guess I would keep that going too. After all, ammo is just a tool to solve problems right?

pietro
01-27-2016, 09:52 AM
He does more for me then I could ever repay and the funny thing is he and my daughter have been divorced for a year now.

Those BH's sell for around $500, hereabouts.

Family = family - regardless of the +/- that marriages sometimes go through.

I would WAG that, after a day's wrenching on vehicles, the last thing he'd want to do is more mechanical work (like reloading).

I'm glad that you're getting to enjoy your Grandchildren - not everybody can.

FergusonTO35
01-27-2016, 09:52 AM
I was a car mechanic for my first career, and took up reloading and casting during that time. The rationale for doing both was the same. I wanted to learn more about some very important tools in my life (cars and guns), save money, and do things exactly the way I want them done because I'm not content with how the ammo makers and car dealerships do it.

Green Frog
01-27-2016, 10:33 AM
I'd say that having your good relationship with your son-in-law that allows him to help you out on car work (which he seems to do better than you can) while you get to help him out by providing ammo loading (which is something he seems to not have the interest or time to do) all the while having great quality family time with the grandkids... well, sounds like win/win/win to me! :D

Another plus to having an in to the auto repair trade is the (increasingly remote) possibility of finding lead wheel weights for casting. Also, he just mightcome up with another interesting (to you) gun or two. You never know! ;)

Froggie

fecmech
01-27-2016, 12:17 PM
Having been both an aircraft and light truck mechanic all my working life I would happily load .44 mag ammo if someone will twist wrenches on my vehicles. Sounds like a win/win to me Lloyd, enjoy him and the grand kids.

w5pv
01-27-2016, 12:25 PM
Sure nice to have a SIL that not only works on autos but can repair them also.I am lucky in that respect.

bedbugbilly
01-27-2016, 12:36 PM
Enjoyed your post and your s-in-l got a good swap on the money due and the pistol payment! Sounds like you and he have a pretty nice relationship in the long run, Sometimes that isn't always true in regards to father-in-law and son-in-law relationships. Tried as I might, my f-in-l and I were like oil and water. He was a very "difficult" individual and it seemed that whatever I did was "wrong" . . . oh, well! I must have done something "right" - I have been married to his lovely daughter for 44 great years and hopefully for many more!

Sounds like good times with the grand-kids reloading - they'll keep their dad "in ammo".

pmer
01-27-2016, 05:36 PM
Kinda sounds like it is too late to pull the old "Oh No that was a bad deal." Then of course you'd have buy it and properly dispose of it.

Lloyd Smale
01-29-2016, 09:24 AM
ya his father died when he was just a baby and I guess he looks at me like a father. It kind of causes a bit of friction between me and my daughter. She thinks because she isn't with him anymore I shouldn't associate with him either. Bottom line is that the breakup was much more her fault then his and I told her that after 10 years of him being if nothing my else a good friend I'm not going to all of a sudden throw the friendship away. He is the father of my grandkids and is welcome in my house any day. She doesn't like it but gave up trying to fight it.
I'd say that having your good relationship with your son-in-law that allows him to help you out on car work (which he seems to do better than you can) while you get to help him out by providing ammo loading (which is something he seems to not have the interest or time to do) all the while having great quality family time with the grandkids... well, sounds like win/win/win to me! :D

Another plus to having an in to the auto repair trade is the (increasingly remote) possibility of finding lead wheel weights for casting. Also, he just mightcome up with another interesting (to you) gun or two. You never know! ;)

Froggie

ghh3rd
01-29-2016, 04:53 PM
Good for you Lloyd!

I'm about to dump 21.5 gr 296 into some .44 cases under 310 gr of lead to shoot this weekend. It's a thumper, but I love shooting it. Hope he likes his...

junkpile
01-29-2016, 05:01 PM
Good on you, Lloyd. My wife's father has been pretty much non-existent her entire life, but I can't imagine not having my father in my life, even if we live 3000+ miles apart now. I'm nearly 40 years old now, and that relationship still makes a big difference every day.

ya his father died when he was just a baby and I guess he looks at me like a father. It kind of causes a bit of friction between me and my daughter. She thinks because she isn't with him anymore I shouldn't associate with him either. Bottom line is that the breakup was much more her fault then his and I told her that after 10 years of him being if nothing my else a good friend I'm not going to all of a sudden throw the friendship away. He is the father of my grandkids and is welcome in my house any day. She doesn't like it but gave up trying to fight it.

CLAYPOOL
01-30-2016, 12:45 AM
Stand your ground for him if he's a good father for those kids...Now - a - days that's important more than what she thinks. kids need all their family these days. It's a crazy mixed up world out there ... as the song says.. Good men In kids lives is a very important thing to look up to.. most of those releafers (sp) bums are just trying to add kids for a bigger check....

GL49
01-30-2016, 12:55 PM
You did tell him about Ruger's recommended "revolver break-in and testing" 1000-round minimum to be fired by an experienced shooter, right? Hard as this may be, you may have to step forward. :bigsmyl2: