PDA

View Full Version : Lee Zip Trim and the 3 Jaw Chuck

jim4065
04-24-2008, 08:52 PM
Bought a zip trim about a year ago but hadn't used it until today. Tried to trim some S & B 6.5x55 brass that was really long, and it was so difficult that I broke out the zip trim. First off - it looks and feels like a plastic ***. Mount it at 45 degrees so your left arm can swing and it's a cutting SOB. It made the job easy - BUT, the optional "Universal 3 Jaw Chuck" is a decent idea that just doesn't work. The "grab" is adjusted and held by O-ring friction - you'll probably have to re-adjust it every time you put in a new case. You're much better off to just use the standard Lee trim shell holders - it's a little fussy but much faster than the 3 jaw chuck.

Don't know how long the Zip Trim will last - but I'll be surprised if it holds up for 2000 cases. Saw something here about adapting the RCBS Trim Mate Case Prep Center to actually trim cases, but can't find it now. Anyway, on a scale of 1 to 5 with 5 being great, the Zip Trim MAY rate a 3, or even a 4 if it holds up. The 3 Jaw Chuck is a 1 that may be worth a 2 to some people. I like most Lee products but this one's a pop fly.

:sad:

Of course I found the video on the RCBS right after this was posted. Wish the "adaptation" on the Lee part was explained a little better.

HeavyMetal
04-24-2008, 09:01 PM
Sorry you don't like the three jaw chuck.

Suspect it's because it's attached to the zip trim, which is a joke.

That unit is for the guy who wants to trim 3 cases!

I bought the three jaw and the adapter to put it on my 18 volt cordless drill.

Once adjusted A simple quarter turn locks or releases the case and with the cordless drill I never get tired of pulling the stupid string!

Suggest you get the drill adapter and try again before you trash the three jaw Or you can just send it to me!

tomf52
04-24-2008, 09:18 PM
When I first got the three jaw chuck I was ready to send it back I was so frustrated with it. Decided to stick it out and learn to use it. Glad I did, it's the fastest thing I've found yet. The secret is learning to get the adjusment right for the particular caliber shells you are doing.

jim4065
04-24-2008, 09:46 PM
I'd sure be happy to trade the unbroken 3 jaw chuck for an unbroken zip trim.

clodhopper
04-25-2008, 12:18 AM
I have the zip trim and it's useful for small batches. When laoding AR and M1 ammo the RCBS with the 3way cutter driven by a corded drill makes me happy.
What will anybody trade me for a three way chuck? Because there is a better way!

Sundogg1911
04-29-2008, 12:40 PM
I use the zip trim with the 3 jaw chuck just to clean really ugly brass. I but the brass in the chuck, hold a fine scotch bright scruffy pad around the brass and pretend i'm starting my weedwacker. Makes them look nice
I use a Lyman case trimmer for trimming the brass.

BCB
04-29-2008, 02:05 PM
Any chance of a picture of this critter? Thanks...BCB

VTDW
04-29-2008, 05:38 PM
Here you go Jim:

http://www.marlinowners.com/forums/index.php/topic,27212.0.html

jim4065
04-30-2008, 01:04 AM
Here you go Jim:

http://www.marlinowners.com/forums/index.php/topic,27212.0.html

Exactly what I want - but for the life of me I don't think I can do the machine work. How do you anneal the base without softening the cutter? And how to drill exactly in the center of a cylinder? Finally - could you solder in a bolt, then cut off the head? I have zero aptitude for machining metal. :(

TexasJeff
04-30-2008, 01:18 AM
When I first got the three jaw chuck I was ready to send it back I was so frustrated with it. Decided to stick it out and learn to use it. Glad I did, it's the fastest thing I've found yet. The secret is learning to get the adjusment right for the particular caliber shells you are doing.

Ditto.

I got the three jaw chuck along with an adapter, plus the Zip Trim. Was ready to just chunk the three-jaw, but when the Zip Trim broke--after only having it five weeks and less than a hundred rounds trimmed. . . .

Put the three-jaw in my drill press, and now I have a steady, reliable mechanized trimming/chamfering/polishing process.

Am sending the Zip Trim back to Lee. Haven't decided if I want them to send me another one--which I doubt I'd use now that I have zero confidence in it--or if I want them to trade me a mould or some dies.

Either way, no way in hell would I ever recommend a Zip Trim; not after my lousy experience with it. (And most of my reloading bench is red . . .)

Jeff

ForneyRider
05-02-2008, 05:38 PM
I got the Zip trim and accessories last week. Trimming and chamfering went pretty well. I think the trim/length trimmer is a good idea.

I agree that it is light-duty. But works for me. I make 20-50 rounds about 3-4 times a month now. I think the quality is about on par with the other Lee stuff.

I used a big C clamp and did about 30-40 Rem. 7mm Mag cases in a few minutes.

It's less of a workout than the ball handle.

I couldn't figure out the 3-jaw chuck so I just use the adapter and tightened/loosened.

Somewhere down the line, the RCBS prep center or something from Sinclair. :)

Really be interested in Lee making a premier line with their inventions in better material and finish.

TexasJeff
05-02-2008, 07:04 PM
I agree that it is light-duty. But works for me. I make 20-50 rounds about 3-4 times a month now. I think the quality is about on par with the other Lee stuff.

I couldn't figure out the 3-jaw chuck so I just use the adapter and tightened/loosened.

Somewhere down the line, the RCBS prep center or something from Sinclair. :)

Really be interested in Lee making a premier line with their inventions in better material and finish.

The three-jaw takes about a hundred or more rounds of "practice" and "repetition" before you get the feel for how it needs to fit and tighten. Once you get that, it's easy and quick.

The Zip Trim isn't just light duty, it's as cheap as it can possibly get.

When mine broke, I took it apart and when I saw how it was designed, I marveled, once again, at the genius of Lee. But when I saw the materials used to make it, I once again cussed at Lee.

They call the parts "nylon." Nylon my ass--it's plastic, pure and simple.

Great design, AWESOME idea, but it is so CHEAPLY made that it is beyond comprehension.

Completely agree that Lee should offer some beefed up products--their "Classic" line of presses has proven beyond any doubt that they will sell all day long.

Jeff

Sanchez
05-02-2008, 08:36 PM
How do you anneal the base without softening the cutter?:(

Have ya maybe heard of (or tried) "Heat Stop" ?? It's a simple brush-on paste or sometimes marketed as a dry chalk/pencil, & available from the well-stocked welding supply shops. McMaster-Carr also has it as generic & can ship nationwide.

It works fine & do hope 'dis helps .......

TexasJeff
05-05-2008, 06:23 PM
There are also some pencils out there called "Tempastiks" (I think) that you mark on the brass, and when the "wax" melts, you've hit you target temperature. The stiks comes in varying temperature indicators.

Thinking about ordering a couple to see how they work.

Jeff

Bad Water Bill
05-10-2008, 05:23 AM
Just one problem with the video, He cut to length then cleaned the flash hole. I have looked into just a few cases in the last ??? years and found many holes were punched from the head into the case. This creates a small hill inside the case that the sizer will ride on. When you clean the flash hole you will end up with having to re cut to length to get all cases the same length. Or am I missing something? :???::???: BWB :castmine:

DLCTEX
05-10-2008, 07:31 AM
Bill, the trimmer length guage goes through the flash hole and stops on the metal base of the holder. It does not ride on the inside of the case. This trims to the overall length of the case, not to the depth of the inside of the case. I have no use for the Zip Trim, as I chuck the shell holder in my cordless drill and use the varible speed to spin the case while cutting, chamfering, and polishing the case with my free hand. Just be sure to size the cases first to get a tight fit on the pilot so that cases are cut square. DALE

ssn vet
05-12-2008, 10:07 AM
I've been using the zip trim for a short while now, I have done ~500 cases through it, in small batches of 50 or so.

I just use the shell holder that comes with the case length pin.

one stiff pull to trim, one half pull to chamfer inside and one half pull to chamfer outside.

It goes fairly quickly and gets good results. Can't really complain for as cheep as the thing was.

If I'm not working at a good height, I get a crick in my neck.

VTDW
05-12-2008, 10:34 AM
Exactly what I want - but for the life of me I don't think I can do the machine work. How do you anneal the base without softening the cutter? And how to drill exactly in the center of a cylinder? Finally - could you solder in a bolt, then cut off the head? I have zero aptitude for machining metal. :(

Jim, you can put the cutter in a vise while you heat the base. The vise works like a heat sink and the cutters do not get treated (I am told). I put mine into water while heating to an orange glow and it worked perfectly. On centering it is easy if you have the Tri-Square with the centering head. If not you can eyeball it close enough, center punch it and drill and tap. It doesn't have to be exact but very close. Use oil when drilling (drill press) AND when tapping. Be sure when tapping to turn maybe 1/4 turn and back it up and turn another 1/4 turn etc. That way you will not have chips binding the tap and breaking it. On the bolt, I have no clue. Cutters are cheap too.

Feel free to e-mail or PM me bro.

Dave

05-12-2008, 01:35 PM
I've got a zip trim and love it. I do hundreds at a time and have never had a problem. The three jaw is a problem and I just use the shell specific holder. Trim to length, flash hole tool, champher, polish -- zip-zip , as they say, and it's done. Do I treat it and beat it like a Wilton vise? - No. Care & good technique have worked for the 10 years or so that I've had it. It's going strong.