PDA

View Full Version : Getting into a 550B

swmass
01-26-2016, 11:51 PM
Hey all, I've been loading on my little lee challenger press for about 2 years and have cranked some serious firepower out of that little press. I reload and shoot a lot. Naturally I'm looking into getting a progressive press but it seems like theres more info out there on the lee presses and cheaper options than the progressives.

I've seen people online claiming a Dillon 550B would cost them over a grand?? then I go online, I believe the site is brian enos or something like that and see them for 400-500.

So, my main question is why do you select a caliber when purchasing a press? Does that mean it will come equipped ready to reload for that round? I understand the "tool heads", but wouldnt the tool head be the same no matter what caliber you are loading for?

Is there a special die used to drop powder? I've noticed you can buy these "conversions" for different calibers that run about 100-120 dollars. What separates these between purchasing a tool head and just popping my dies in them?

Lastly, how does the powder drop system work. I'm assuming I can't just pop the powder drop onto my lee expander die and go at it because it seems like theres more going on than that.

Sorry if I'm throwing a lot out there, I reload for 9mm, 38/357, and 45 so I'm trying to get a grasp on how much I really need to get to get going and if it would be worth it versus using they ole single stage which has proven to be very good to me

labradigger1
01-27-2016, 12:12 AM
550' go for 375-500$, not $1000.
Choose the caliber you want to load first or more frequently,
You will not use the Lee die with the Dillon,
Dillion's use a powder die that has a "flared" hollow piece that expands the neck and activates the powder measure.
Caliber conversions come with everything you need to change calibers including powder funnels, these run anywhere from $30 up. Check Dillion's website for conversions as they are usually cheaper.
Tool heads are all the same, multiple extra heads and measures are nice so you can leave the dies and measures set up and ready to use.
Lots of videos on Dillion's site and you tube

finattic
01-27-2016, 12:16 AM
I will try to answer some of your questions with my experience on the Dillon 550. tool heads hold the dies and that is all, but if your going to load 4 different rounds I would suggest 4 tool heads, set the dies up and never have to adjust them again. I say 4 because 38 and 357 have to be set up different. when ordering the press you will not get the dies only the shell plate for the caliber you order,9,45,38 etc. Dillon uses a separate die body that holds the powder funnel/expander. when you order a conversion kit it come with the shell plate, the buttons and the funnel, the Dillon powder measure goes on this die and you adjust your powder charge from there. You can use you lee dies in the Dillon press as well as any other 7/8 14 threaded dies. however I highly recommend the Dillon dies, and I am assuming since your on the cast boolits forum you shoot cast boolits, the Dillon dies are super easy to clean and maintain without ever loosing your adjustment. If your money challenged like so many of us start out with one caliper(what do you shoot the most) and go from there. one more thing you will get 1 Dillon powder measure with the press as well large and small primer components, so you can load all your calibers with minor changes which do not take long to change out. I am sure there are other Dillon owners here that have more information to add. Good luck with your decision but in my humble opinion you cant go wrong with Dillon.

finattic
01-27-2016, 12:28 AM
swmass, where are you located there may be someone who has a Dillon near you that would be willing to show you how they work and what you need to purchase

VHoward
01-27-2016, 12:33 AM
https://www.dillonprecision.com/#/customize-reloader.html
I have the XL650 and love it. My friend has the RL550B and he loves it. The link I posted should take you to Dillon's "Which press is right for you" page and gives the comparisons between the Square Deal b, the RL550B and the XL650. I personally would not get the Square Deal b unless you are definitely going to stick to pistol rounds and don't mind buying proprietary dies for it which are expensive. The major difference between the RL550B and the XL650 is the RL550B has only four stations and is manually indexed. The XL650 is five stations and is auto indexing. Get the RL550B if you are happy with 200 to 400 rounds per hour loaded. Get the Xl650 if you want to load 500 or more rounds per hour. Either machine has a lifetime warranty that goes with the machine should you ever sell it. If you do happen to find a great deal on a used one, don't hesitate as Dillon will provide any repair parts it needs to you for free. Dillon machines usually get close to new prices on ebay though, so the deals are rare.

VHoward
01-27-2016, 12:35 AM
From his profile name, I'm betting somewhere in south west Massachusetts.

lefty o
01-27-2016, 12:38 AM
brian enos is the guy to buy from, he can and will answer any question you have about whats needed, how to do it , etc.

swmass
01-27-2016, 02:35 AM
I am located in south east MA. I have found a few videos on it but im still not completely sure what comes with the conversion kit. A tool head runs about 25 dollars and a conversion kit is over 100. Does the conversion come with a powder die or powder measure? seems like it is a lot more money for a tool head and shell plate... I must be missing something, but im starting to get a visual of how it all comes together. I will likely purchase dillon dies, or at least the powder/expanding die as it looks like I must use it with this press. The dillon website is not working for some reason, it says no server connection or something like that.

swmass
01-27-2016, 02:53 AM
Edit- found a good video that shows what a "shell plate" and "powder funnel" is on a Dillon press. I was visualizing a shell plate like my single stage uses and a regular funnel[smilie=l:.

Another question - can I clamp the dillon powder drop onto my current Lee powder through/expanding die? Im assuming not because of the powder funnel that is used with this press. I havent had any problems with my lee dies so I figure why change. Also, what die are you guys using in the final station? I used the lee FCD before I cast my own but I tend to stay away from it when using my cast bullets to prevent any possible swaging. I currently seat and crimp in the same step and have not ran across any problems doing so.

Nlvmike
01-27-2016, 03:20 AM
youtube videos are awesome, and you have probably figured this out, but... you can rack up some costs on a 550. The powder die is universal, but it is nice to have one for each caliber toolhead setup, to make changes easy. $$. The powder measure is almost universal. You have to change out the powder bar for over or under 15 grains of powder. Again, it is nice to have one for each setup. $$. Each caliber conversion kit comes with a powder funnel. It is a straight metal tube that fits in the powder die. It serves 3 purposes on a pistol caliber and 2 on a rifle. First, it funnels the powder from the measure to the case. 2nd, it is a specific length to activate the powder throw. If no case is in station 2 to push up on the funnel, it will not drop a load of powder. 3rd, on a pistol caliber, you tighten the die a very little bit after the top of the throw and the funnel puts a little flare on the case to accept a bullet easier. Nice bit of engineering. On a rifle case, it does not flare.

Look on Brian Enos for a list of shell plates, locator pins and funnels. A 30-06 and a 45ACP use the same shell plate and pins, but a much different funnel.

corbinace
01-27-2016, 03:41 AM
Welcome to the forum Nlvmike. Nice job of helping out on the explanation. I have no more to add to the good explanations offered except to say youtube will help visualize the process and what you need really well.

All of the add-ons like the roller handle and a few other items are not really needed to make lots of great cartridges. Start with a basic RL550B with one set of Dillon dies (they do make a difference) and see what you need from there.

Good luck

swmass
01-27-2016, 05:01 PM
Thanks everyone, it's all coming together now. I'll probably order the press and get all set up to load 9mm, then move my single stage over and keep it for my other calibers. Then as I get up to speed I can start running other loads on the Dillon. I figured there's a lot of different expenses when doing it but I reload enough to justify it. I don't regret starting on my single stage one bit, it was a great way to learn and really understand what's going on. Believe it or not I can crank out over 150 an hour on that thing (not including priming time, I keep most of my clean brass primed and ready to go to save time when reloading). Deffinetly getting excited for the new
press.

oldcanadice
01-27-2016, 05:53 PM
As a cost saver, if you already have Lee dies for the extra calibers you load you can use them on the Dillon with the exception of the expander/powder-funnel die. You can also mix and match. For instance: I don't like my dillon 357 sizer die because it sizes the cases too much. In that toolhead, I use a Lee carbide sizing die instead. I have several other toolheads in which I have RCBS dies.

Here is the dope on the exception: To use non-dillon dies with the Dillon powder measure, you need one expander/powder station body (stage 2) for each caliber you want to have permanently set up in a toolhead. These are separate items you can buy (like the toolheads). When you're loading, that body holds the expander funnel that comes with the caliber change kit and you put the powder measure on the top of it so expanding and charging are automatic.

Probably sounds complicated at this point, but once you get the press in hand with their manual it will become pretty plain.

daniel lawecki
01-27-2016, 07:31 PM
Ultimate Reloading Blog he has videos on Lee, Hornady, Dillon and others check his site out and learn.

wrench man
01-28-2016, 01:57 AM
A tool head runs about 25 dollars and a conversion kit is over 100.

HHMMM? the February 2016 Dillon catalog shows a 550B toolhead at $22.95, $20.95 if three or more are purchased at the same time, and the conversion kits are $45.95 for std calibers and $55.95 for exotic calibers, the LGS here sells them at catalog price.

swmass
01-28-2016, 02:38 AM
I believe what I was looking at when I posted that was a "quick change kit" not a conversion kit. I didnt really understand how the set up worked at the time. The quick change kit would give me a separate tool head, powder measure, and powder die to leave set up with each caliber, these run $105 on brian enos. This paired with a conversion kit to set up the bottom half of the press for a different caliber ($46) would cost around $150 to set up the way I want and be able to leave all my tool heads set up. Sorry if I mix phrases up, I'm sure it will all make more sense once I have the press in front of me :lol:

VHoward
01-28-2016, 02:43 AM
I believe what I was looking at when I posted that was a "quick change kit" not a conversion kit. I didnt really understand how the set up worked at the time. The quick change kit would give me a separate tool head, powder measure, and powder die to leave set up with each caliber, these run $105 on brian enos. This paired with a conversion kit to set up the bottom half of the press for a different caliber ($46) would cost around $150 to set up the way I want and be able to leave all my tool heads set up. Sorry if I mix phrases up, I'm sure it will all make more sense once I have the press in front of me :lol:
This is what I do with my XL650. Makes it much easier and it's a one time expenditure. So you just include those costs when you calculate how much each caliber is costing you to load. The more you load of each caliber, the lower the overall costs get (cost per round). Start up costs are high, but with Dillons lifetime warranty, you only have to pay it once.

mdatlanta
01-28-2016, 02:58 AM
SWMASS, the RL550B is a really nice press, IMHO, and worth the $. Lots of good advice in this thread.

Do contact Brian Enos & check out his web site. Brian helped me come up to speed on the 550 quickly and also helped me optimize my purchase. He won't steer you wrong.

A chart on the Brian Enos web site shows the commonality of parts making up the caliber conversion kits between various cartridges, so it is possible mix & match shell plates, pins, etc., as you start to load different cartridges. One doesn't necessarily have to buy a whole new conversion kit for each cartridge.

Petrol & Powder
01-28-2016, 09:43 AM
swmass - I've loaded ten's of thousands of rounds on a 550B, I think you will be pleased with that press if you get it. I've used other presses, including a 650 (also a fine machine) and I prefer the 550. It is a simple, solid machine that just works.
The Dillon dies are good but you are not restricted to using Dillon dies. I use a collection of dies, sometimes including a mixture of brands on the same tool head.

Once you have the machine set up on your bench you will have a better understanding of how it all works together. As for caliber conversations, there are inexpensive ways to switch calibers and there are fast ways to switch calibers and there are some variations between those extremes. Nothing is really difficult on the 550B.

Good Luck !!!

ioon44
01-28-2016, 10:26 AM
swmass - I've loaded ten's of thousands of rounds on a 550B, I think you will be pleased with that press if you get it. I've used other presses, including a 650 (also a fine machine) and I prefer the 550. It is a simple, solid machine that just works.
The Dillon dies are good but you are not restricted to using Dillon dies. I use a collection of dies, sometimes including a mixture of brands on the same tool head.

Once you have the machine set up on your bench you will have a better understanding of how it all works together. As for caliber conversations, there are inexpensive ways to switch calibers and there are fast ways to switch calibers and there are some variations between those extremes. Nothing is really difficult on the 550B.

Good Luck !!!

I totally agree that you are not restricted to using Dillon dies.
I have used a 550 since 1989 and use a lot of die brands and some work better than Dillon.

digid
01-28-2016, 09:30 PM
As others have mentioned, you can use your Lee dies. You can even use your Lee powder through dies if you have a lee powder dispenser. I have many of mine set up with Lee auto disk powder dispensers and they work great.

dragon813gt
01-28-2016, 10:20 PM
This link will help you w/ caliber conversions. Depending on what you load you may only need to buy buttons or a powder funnel when adding a cartridge.

http://gunwiki.net/apps/calconversion/index.asp

VHoward
01-29-2016, 12:17 AM
I think Dillon does the same in the 550's instruction manual, but in the manual for my XL650 in the back is a chart of caliber conversions that lists which parts each caliber uses. From that chart, you can see if you already have the parts you need or what parts you need to order.

dragon813gt
01-29-2016, 09:17 AM
They do, but the link does all the work for you. It tells you exactly what you need to buy. If you have a lot of conversions it saves you time.

r1kk1
01-30-2016, 08:28 PM
This link will help you w/ caliber conversions. Depending on what you load you may only need to buy buttons or a powder funnel when adding a cartridge.

http://gunwiki.net/apps/calconversion/index.asp

+1

r1kk1

Sam Casey
01-30-2016, 11:24 PM
I saw one video where fellow was using 550 with just 2 vice grips holding it on bench. Right now I have 6 MEC shotshell loaders (2 are hydros) and 2 single stage metallic presses. The idea of a "portable" 550 is attractive; is it realistic?

wrench man
01-31-2016, 01:36 AM
Mine is on the Strong Mount, it's clamped to the bench with two swivel feet Vicegrip C clamps, I was trying to decide where to drill the holes and just never did, snap snap and it's mobile!, works like a champ.

Petrol & Powder
01-31-2016, 07:26 PM
I permanently mounted my 550 to another bench but made a detachable section on my second bench for my shotshell loaders, lubersizer, case trimmer, etc. It allows me to keep those devices on a shelf until needed and frees up bench space.

Sam Casey
01-31-2016, 09:28 PM
That is slick! My MEC Grabbers & Sizemasters are in oven pans on double thickness plywood... 3 on storage shelves, with the one in current use on small dedicated HD table that could be used for the 550 on mount. My 2 hydros are side by side on their own bench so they can be serviced by same pump with QD fittings. My Summit is on its own Harbor Freight grinder stand. Little Lee on 1x5 board that is clamped to another workbench when in use. I'll tidy things up and take some pics. A 550 will need to be portable or replace my Summit.

mjwcaster
02-01-2016, 01:44 AM
Mine gets screwed to a 2x6 and c clamped to the bench at my folks house.
Sturdier than when it is bolted to my flexxy bench at home.
Throw everything in a Rubbermaid container and I can reload any where there is a sturdy bench to clamp to.

As far as extra powder measures I read about a cheaper way, just get extra powder charge bars, set up for a specific load and change them instead of the full powder measure.
I may try that in the future.
Separate powder measures would not save much more time as I pull the measure off to empty and store any way.

Every time I start pricing out all the goodies for easy changes (besides dedicated tool heads, that is a no brainer), I end up half the price of just getting a second press and not screwing around at all.
Just a powder measure and priming system is almost half the price of a bare (no caliber conversion) press.
But then I start thinking that instead of a second 550, a 650 would be a better choice.
Then I come to my senses and just decide to keep running my single 550 and spend money on lead, powder and primers.
I will add a second press someday.

Besides load development I don't plan on changing calibers too often, I would rather run batches of several thousand at a time.

Petrol & Powder
02-01-2016, 10:14 AM
People come up with different solutions to caliber conversions and most of them come down to convenience vs. cost. The time it would take to pull out a charge bar and replace it with another wouldn't be much different than re-adjusting the one you have. I don't see that as saving time or money.
The advantage to a second machine comes when you set one up for large primers and the other for small primers. If you can swap out tool heads complete with powder measures and shell plates without changing the primer assembly, it is a very quick process.

The cheapest way to switch calibers on a 550 is to have a second set of dies and a caliber conversion kit; that is also the slowest method.
The fastest way to switch calibers is to have another complete machine ;) .
It all comes down to: how fast do you want to be able to change calibers and how much do you want to pay for that convenience.

Mike Kerr
02-02-2016, 12:25 AM
I will admit I have more than one in the 450-550 line of presses but you don't have to do that if you don't want to. The 550 series provides the most versatile machine in the reloading field.

David2011
02-02-2016, 01:15 AM
Mike Kerr is right IMO. The 550 is extremely versatile. I've loaded a ton of calibers from .380 to .45-70 on it including gobs of .38 and .45 ACP. It has a 9mm setup but it's a light volume caliber for me.

I also have a 650 and until recently had a Square Deal B on the other side of my 550 which is 25 years old now. I thought about going with 2 650s- one each for small and large primers but the cost to replace all of the caliber conversions I've accumulated was staggering so I happily kept the 550. The 650 is only used for my highest volume loads.

If you ever decide to sell the resale value of Dillons is nothing short of amazing.

Congrats!
David

mjwcaster
02-04-2016, 11:13 AM
Also don't be scared of the primer assembly swap.
As much as people complain about it, it's simple once you get used to it.
Just did a full conversion from 9mm to 45 in less than 20 minutes, taking my time, cleaning the press and putting a few primers in to check feeding.
I do have separate tool heads and 2 powder measures, so that does speed things up.

Primer system tips-
Do NOT over tighten 2 bolts holding the primer assembly down, it causes binding.

Do not remove the inner primer tube with primers in it, they fall all over.
Pull the assembly off, then dump the primers out through the top.

A 45 case on top of the primer feed tube follower adds enough weight to get reliable feeding of the last few primers.
Note: the primer follower is plastic so it does not become a dangerous missile in case of a primer explosion, use this tip at your own risk.

Keep the primer slide clean and polished.
I blow mine clean every primer fill or two, makes all the difference in the world.

Set everything in place and lightly bolt down.
Raise ram/lower shell holder all the way to align the primer feed bar then tighten up.

I used to hate changing the primer system over, now that I am used to it, it's no big deal and a good chance to clean the press.