PDA

View Full Version : Powder coat lube star?

newton
01-26-2016, 11:13 PM
I decided to clean my gun in advance of some new testing. I was getting a lot of gunk out, but always noticed Unique does that. What was interesting is that on the end of the muzzle, around the crown, there was a lot of gunk stuck on. Looked like a lube star, but it would not wipe off. I could scrape it off with my finger nail, but eventually took a bronze brush to it.

It almost reminded me of wax. Like hard wax. I should have took a picture, and will if I find it again, but wonder if anyone has seen this also? I noticed it starting to build up when I was shooting but never did anything about it.

Could it be too much powder coat? This is a .223. Maybe these things don't need a very thick coating at all. I'm going to try some with a thinner coat. Thoughts?

runfiverun
01-27-2016, 01:23 AM
powder star.
I see it with jacketed bullets sometimes too.

newton
01-27-2016, 08:33 AM
I had only shot maybe 150-200. Most of them cast, but a few jacketed. I guess I had never noticed it before on my other guns. I'll have to take a look at them now.

runfiverun
01-27-2016, 01:44 PM
I see it more on my stainless barrels or the ones with flat faces.
the rounded barrels like on a hunting rifle don't seem to show it as much.

newton
01-27-2016, 03:35 PM
I see it more on my stainless barrels or the ones with flat faces.
the rounded barrels like on a hunting rifle don't seem to show it as much.

That might be it. The M700 I have has a flat face even though its not a target barrel. The other guns I shoot have the rounded face.

I'll scrape it off into a white towel next time. I should really pay more attention to these things while I am doing them. It just hit me as weird after I cleaned it.

Motor
01-27-2016, 06:27 PM
When the bullet exits the bore the gas has a chance to pressure cut it. It's the same as thing that causes lead fouling but it out in the air so all we see is the little that sticks to the face of the barrel.

You should see the lead I have to clean out of the muzzle brake of my 500 S&W. This is with a light load. The boolits work great and do not lead foul the bore at all but once the seal is broken (boolit leaves the barrel) the gas has a chance to basically torch cut the edge of the base.

I was hoping that powder coating would prevent this but after reading your thread it seem I may have to be cleaning PC out of the brake instead of lead. I really haven't had time to test this yet. I got the boolits PCed and the loads tested then hunting season started.

Motor