PDA

View Full Version : Taking a few old war horses out of retirement

salpal48
01-26-2016, 07:12 PM
After a very long neglect . I started getting back into loading shot shell. I decided to start these up again. These are older Pacific/ Deitemeyer Model 200. These are very strong machines all cast Iron. Both are 12 gage But I do have conversion for 20. I have several Older machines but these were My Favorites. I am starting to clean the parts.. The only thing I realized Most of my Bushing are for Out dated Powders AL-5/ AL-7.
I am curious if the old Ones Could be drilled out to accept Mec or others. Just a Thought
Sal

Skunk1
01-26-2016, 07:41 PM
You should be able to use hornady bushings. I believe I have a couple and the fit my Bair and pacific reloaders. I'll have to check. The old powder charts are hard to use as there are very few of the old powders still manufactured.

Went and checked and I have a couple hornady bushings. Same size as the Bair and pea infix bushings.

DonMountain
01-26-2016, 09:02 PM
After a very long neglect . I started getting back into loading shot shell. I decided to start these up again. These are older Pacific/ Deitemeyer Model 200. These are very strong machines all cast Iron. Both are 12 gage But I do have conversion for 20. I have several Older machines but these were My Favorites. I am starting to clean the parts.. The only thing I realized Most of my Bushing are for Out dated Powders AL-5/ AL-7.
I am curious if the old Ones Could be drilled out to accept Mec or others. Just a Thought
Sal

The DL-200 machines were pre-1" deep flat charge bars that took 1" diameter shot bushings and 7/8" diameter powder bushings, which fit in the flat faced charge bars of current machines. They wouldn't work in the round charge bushings of the DL-200's that you have. But, since you have a number of shot and powder bushings probably for both the 12 gauge and 20 gauge shells that you reload, its possible to adjust your shot and powder bushings for any loads that you want by filling in a slightly larger shot or powder bushing with some epoxy smoothed on the side to reduce the volume thrown and then sanded or filed with a fine file to shape for the correct loads. People don't commonly shoot the heavy loads anymore that were common back when these old loaders were new. One ounce of shot for trap and around 18 grains of powder will do the job with those old bushings reduced in size. (Make sure you get published loads from pressure tested sources for the correct combination of hulls, primers, powder, wads and size of shot) And adjust your bushings to fit!

salpal48
01-26-2016, 11:00 PM
adjusting The PowderBushing were Done By me @ One time By using The old black tape method On the inside Of the Bushing Itself.. It was not full proof but worked. .