PDA

View Full Version : Fun with Peppers

borg
01-26-2016, 04:05 PM
I've been doing different peppers in different ways.
Jalapenos, Cut in half, scrape out the seeds, pack with your favorite cheap chip dip, load the top with cheddar, then wrap in bacon and pin w/ tooth pick.
The dip firms up nicely, put on the smoker at 350 or 400, till the bacon is crisp, not burnt.
With Anaheim's, or Hatch cut in half, scrape out seeds, pack 1/2 full with cooked ground venison, cover with a cheap dip and wrap in bacon and pin.
This also works for poblano peppers, but just lay the bacon on top.
Have also used thin sliced celery, carrots, corn, onion and anything else your imagination doesn't limit you to. LOL
I guess I'm going to have to try Habaneros next. LOL

Blackwater
01-27-2016, 09:12 AM
Peppers are very interesting things. Way back when I was a kid and Mom & Dad did the gardening, they'd typically see a packet of some new kind of peppers we'd never seen before, and they'd plant and grow them, and we'd all like them, no matter what the flavor. We just all kind'a liked peppers, I guess, and whatever the flavor, Mom would always find a place where they'd be really good. Peppers run the gamut from sweet and mild to "granny get the gun!" And ALL of them have great places in our meal. Love them peppers!

w5pv
01-27-2016, 01:10 PM
I love different pepper sauses from tabasco,to jaleopeno.I have several differnt foods that I use the pepper sauses on from fieldpeas to nearly all of the meats.

gwpercle
01-27-2016, 05:47 PM
Peppers are very interesting things. Way back when I was a kid and Mom & Dad did the gardening, they'd typically see a packet of some new kind of peppers we'd never seen before, and they'd plant and grow them, and we'd all like them, no matter what the flavor. We just all kind'a liked peppers, I guess, and whatever the flavor, Mom would always find a place where they'd be really good. Peppers run the gamut from sweet and mild to "granny get the gun!" And ALL of them have great places in our meal. Love them peppers!

Many years ago I found a pepper plant in garden supply I had never heard of, planted a few, they grew well, so I tasted one off the bush and discovered what the word HABANERO means....
That first experience was mind blowing to say the least !
Gary

MaryB
01-28-2016, 04:48 AM
Love peppers, put them raw on salads, sweet peppers I cut strips and dip in salt or ranch and munch... I always dry a bunch of hot peppers to crush for on top of pizza.

johnson1942
01-30-2016, 11:58 PM
up in north dakota among the german russians they grow a pepper called a sweet banana. its sweet, long yellow and produces more peppers on a plant than any other ive seen. they pickle them and in that quart jar they put garlic cloves and a couple of real hot peppers for heat. it makes a perfect pepper to go with any meal or sandwich. ive grown them and going to next year again. if all other peppers fail you on a bad year, the sweet banana wont. their is a hot version of the banana pepper but for me it is too hot, but may be just right for others. stuffing a pepper with cream cheese and bakeing it, now that is good also. can any one out their give me names of other very easy to grow peppers, i value that kind of info. thanks.

MaryB
01-31-2016, 03:15 AM
I have always had good luck with plain old jalapeno peppers in MN. Couple years I grew some habenero also. Both were pretty easy with little care besides water/weed

shtur
02-01-2016, 01:36 AM
We grow a petin,and sometimes they're called peqin. They are smaller than an asprin pill in size. I have seen them around abandoned homesites in TX when I was working there in the oil boom of the 1980's. They have some heat, but unlike other peppers, the heat only lasts about 3 minutes and it's totally over after that. We let them dry naturally and use them the second year. We crush them between our fingers and one petin will season a complete pot of soup just right or top off a homemade pizza perfectly.

gwpercle, you made me laugh. I am curious, you said the first experience was mind blowing. Did you have a second experience after a mind blowing one ???

cummins05
02-01-2016, 01:04 PM
fry up some bacon until crispy and crumble. smash up some heath candy bars and mix with the bacon. cut the top off a jalapeņo and core out the seeds and such. take a ziplock bag and put some peanut butter in it and trim off a corner. fill peppers with peanut butter. melt some chocolate. add a skewer to the peppers through the bottom and dip in melted chocolate until covered roll around in the heath/bacon mixture to coat the chocolate like breading. let cool in the fridge till chocolate sets. DONT KNOCKIT TILL YOU TRY IT. THEY ARE AMAZING!!!!!!

xdmalder
02-01-2016, 01:21 PM
My favorite sweet pepper is either Jimmy Nardello or Lipstick. Both really easy to grow here in Nebraska and always abundant. For hot peppers to eat it's Bulgarian Carrot. A decent amount of heat and hands down the best flavor! For medicine it's the Scorpion Triidad. That will light your fire!

johnson1942
02-01-2016, 08:24 PM
shtur, years ago i worked with a texan who told me about those wild peppers you talked about. he said the wild turkeys eat them like candy and tons of them. he said the result was it was the best turkey meat he has ever eaten. also going to research jimmy nardello pepper, thanks for the tip.

borg
02-01-2016, 09:03 PM
I can vouch for the turkey eating the peppers,, the meat had a good spicy taste,, trouble is my guests couldn't eat it. LOL

KennethF
02-02-2016, 12:21 AM
Some Mexican restaurants that I go to, if you request, will grill a couple good sized jalapenos to go along with your meal. Just hold by the stem to eat, they are usually very hot and make my ears & head sweat, but I love them. I slice jalapenos thin and leave on a paper towel on paper plates to get good and dried, then grind in a coffee grinder, kind of fine, and use this from a pepper shaker on every thing that pepper is good on, pizza, meat, soups, chili, hash browns, etc.

Ken

Blackwater
02-04-2016, 04:29 PM
One way we use peppers here in the south, is to warm them good and put them into warm vinegar (I usually use apple cider vinegar, but the wife likes white vinegar), and let them sit at least a week, then pour the vinegar in teaspoons full over greens, peas, or what have you. Great stuff, especially when mixed with LA. hot sauce. If the greens are good and sweet, I usually like them plain, but the ones with a little bitterness get the pepper vinegar and hot sauce, and both are really great meals. I'd imagine it'd be good on all sorts of things. Have thought about trying it on some fish species, but have never tried it yet. It usually takes me a few years to get that far beyond the std. recipes I know are good. My experimental bent comes out in time, though. Mom liked to experiment, too. For her, it was a little challenge to her culinary skills, and I don't recall her ever missing, though she seemed disappointed on occasion, and said she wished it had turned out more like what she'd envisioned. I never let that slow me down, though.

That's one of the intriguing things about cooking. There really are no rules, and the sky's the limit on what you can think of to try. You guys sure do have great taste! Thanks!

borg
02-04-2016, 05:18 PM
I do the same thing with green chili pequines, use a small bottle that has a plastic insert like a liquid smoke, Worcestershire or olive oil sauce so you can put the chilies in.
With these, just keep adding cider vinegar, after three years it's still hot.

Ole Joe Clarke
02-04-2016, 05:55 PM
We are supposed to have stuffed jalapenos for supper tonight. She bought some fresh ones at the store and some bacon. They are supposed to be bacon wrapped. Makes me hungry just thinking about it.

farmerjim
02-04-2016, 06:20 PM
Dry your jalapenos in a smoker, with smoke, Grind them to powder in a blender. It makes a great seasoning.

borg
02-04-2016, 06:34 PM
Doing the Anaheim's with ground venison, cheap dip, cheddar topped, wrapped in bacon on the smoker tonight.

Smoke4320
02-04-2016, 06:36 PM
And I thought this was going to be about Julius verses Manning :}

webfoot10
02-04-2016, 08:24 PM
Boil up a dozen eggs, peel and put in glass jar, add your hot peppers & sliced up onion rings add
cider vinegar. Put up for a couple of weeks or until the eggs pickle. Try them, very good with beer.
webfoot10

borg
02-04-2016, 08:47 PM
Boil up a dozen eggs, peel and put in glass jar, add your hot peppers & sliced up onion rings add
cider vinegar. Put up for a couple of weeks or until the eggs pickle. Try them, very good with beer.
webfoot10
Tell me,,, what doesn't go good with beer?

Smoke4320
02-05-2016, 08:49 AM

Filling out tax return s

Hickory
02-05-2016, 09:10 AM
Peppers make life interesting.
There are so many ways to use them.
One way to use hot peppers is to grind them into a pulp, about 1 gallon worth.
Put in 5 gallon bucket, pour in boiling water, let stand over night. Pour off liguid, strain through coffee filter.
This liguid can be used to spray your viney plants for stink bugs, good for 3-5 days reapply after rain.
Can also be used on sweetcorn silk to reduce earwarms.

MaryB
02-06-2016, 05:12 AM
Captain Crunch cereal... was after a friends wedding, we ere all staying at his house the night fater and he took off for his honeymoon. We were all leaving that day so he made sure all the milk was used up. No milk but we had beer left over... it was edible... barely...

borg
02-06-2016, 10:45 AM
Filling out tax return s
Whatcha mean, that's the best time. LOL

Virginian
02-14-2016, 03:51 PM
I've been doing different peppers in different ways.
Jalapenos, Cut in half, scrape out the seeds, pack with your favorite cheap chip dip, load the top with cheddar, then wrap in bacon and pin w/ tooth pick.
The dip firms up nicely, put on the smoker at 350 or 400, till the bacon is crisp, not burnt.
With Anaheim's, or Hatch cut in half, scrape out seeds, pack 1/2 full with cooked ground venison, cover with a cheap dip and wrap in bacon and pin.
This also works for poblano peppers, but just lay the bacon on top.
Have also used thin sliced celery, carrots, corn, onion and anything else your imagination doesn't limit you to. LOL
I guess I'm going to have to try Habaneros next. LOL

That's making my mouth water! Yum!