PDA

View Full Version : Rossi vs Henry?

Mauser48
01-26-2016, 03:59 PM
If you guys were going to buy one of these in .357 which would you pick? Do they both have tight bores? Will they both feed .38 special semi wadcutters? How are the rossi's after a little smoothing out? I definitely like the price and availability of they Rossi. I want something I can plink with without being limited to rimfire ammo. Whats your guys experience with these guns? I had a marlin 336 and I could never get the hang of loading the darn thing. I wouldn't want to have this problem with the Rossi as well. The henry is tube fed so thats not a problem. Thanks

georgerkahn
01-26-2016, 04:26 PM
I own a Henry .357 Big Bore. The pluses include it is very attractive to look at; action is as smooth as warm butter; and, from the rest it surely shoots better than I do! A marvelous firearm. It exudes 'quality' as well! Mine came with the large loop lever which really makes -- to my surprise -- operation easier, and is a "given" when wearing gloves in colder weather (almost a necessity if sitting in a stand a bit for me). There are but two "minuses", albeit tiny ones. To wit, as I've posted here elsewhere, the Henry is one heavy (for me) rifle. You could probably "Google" its specs, but I believe it's in the nine pound range. And, an old bullseye pistol shooter, I never load a complement of more than five cartridges in it. The second negative is the brass receiver seems to scratch ever so easy. I keep my few firearms in a heavy safe, and just a few inserts/removals put a pretty deep scratch in from dividers -- and I wasn't even cognizant I was scratching it!
Sadly, I have no experience whatever with the Rossi's, so comments re this brand will need to come from others. But, if I found myself with a few extra bucks ($$$) and wanted to really cramp my safe -- I wouldn't hesitate a Milli-second re buying another Henry. Also, while I have but open sights on mine, Henry purveys what looks like a real neato scope mount -- their receivers are already pro-drilled for these. And, they too have an optional open sight. Yup, I have NO regrets re mine!
BEST! (One added note is their slogan, "Made in America, or not made at all!". How many other products are not made ABUSA (Anywhere but (the) U.S.A.)?)
george

starnbar
01-26-2016, 04:44 PM
I have a made in brazil rossi and its busted 3 firing pins so for what its worth I would go with the henry.

bangerjim
01-26-2016, 05:15 PM
I bought 2 Rossi's for the price of a Henry......love them! Smooth cycling right out of the box. And now that they have been used for MANY hundreds of rounds of 38/357's, they are even smoother!

I would not hesitate to buy another one.

The only thing that will not cycle is full wad cutters. I chamber them one at a time. I am never in a speed shooting contest.

You are planning on exactly what I do.........22LR shooting without the $$. I can cast, coat, load and shoot 38/357's for less than 5 cents a round.

banger

Mauser48
01-26-2016, 05:51 PM
Thanks for the responses. It will be a good way for me to get into casting as well. I really only shoot bolt action .22's now so I don't burn through ammo but with the .38's I can plink all day for the price of .22 and make it myself.

Speedo66
01-26-2016, 06:00 PM
I bought a blued 20" .357 Rossi a year ago. Aside from an ejector spring that sent the empties into the stratosphere, there hasn't been one problem. A hardware store spring fixed that and they now drop at my feet.

Sat down and worked the action a few hundred times while watching TV, and it's now one finger smooth. It weights less than 5 lbs. and cost $430 + $15 shipping and $15 LGS transfer fee. You could say I'm very happy with it. If Bud's has the model you want, they have good prices and ship free.

Good luck with either choice.

Tackleberry41
01-26-2016, 06:02 PM
A henry is generally ready to go out of the box, and their specs are a bit tighter. I never see people on here saying their Henry had an oversized bore, screwy chamber, or barrel not straight. Rossis are half the money, but are sort of kits. Some get lucky and their fine out of the box, most need some work. Henry your paying for that to be done when you buy it. I would imagine any lever design is going to be a little finicky about the ammo. Something made to run 357 might not like 38 that much. I see some simply use cheap 38 brass, but seat the bullets to 357 length.

Uncle Grinch
01-26-2016, 06:03 PM
Doesn't the Henry load via the magazine tube vs. a loading gate on the receiver. I seem to remember seeing in at a gun show, but don't remember the caliber.

.45colt
01-26-2016, 06:08 PM
We have an EMF/Rossi .357 mag short rifle, I picked up used. I think the previous owner used it for Cowboy Action Shooting. it is the slickest smoothest best shooting rifle. My Son in Law Had it over His Dad's house last summer, a woodchuck popped out next to a shed in the back yard a good ways away and He rolled it drt one shot, much to the amazement of His family.

Mauser48
01-26-2016, 06:23 PM
How easy does the lever open on the 92? I remember on my 336 it had the safety detent underneath the lever and every time I would load the gun the lever would pop open. I would have to hold the lever closed while I was loading it.

PerpetualStudent
01-26-2016, 06:54 PM
I've been debating this very question. The last few .357 Marlins I've seen were up higher than Henry MSRP. This places them out of reach of my budget leaving me to choose between Rossi and Henry.

Accepted wisdom is Rossi is hit or miss out of the box but slicks up nicely. Henry is good to go.

Factors I've turned up in looking at this question:

1.Henry loads from front of tube while Rossi has a side gate.
[My take on this is it is likely a wash. Rossi lets you top up, but Henry lets you refill the entire mag quickly and put one in the chamber if you wanted another quick shot after running dry]

2. Henry ejects to the side, Rossi ejects up.
[So if you're lefty, or someone who will use it is lefty, Rossi gets the edge. Side eject means Henry could be loaded directly into chamber and mounts a scope easier]

3. Henry is heavier
[My view is that I can stand the exercise and if I teach a young shooter heavier is better for recoil. But if you like light and handy, Rossi is probably better]

4. Barrel length varies
[Henry Big Boys are about 20 inches. Rossi comes from 16-24 (though the longer one might be slightly harder to find used). Ballistics by the inch has a nice breakdown of .357 but only goes up to 18 inches. I haven't been able to track down what happens between 18 and 24 inches. Possibly relevant if you're thinking hunting. My personal view is the ones smaller than 20 feel like toys to me (and I'm a small guy) but plenty of other people think anything longer than 18inches misses the point of a handy little carbine]

The big question I keep coming back to: Am I capable of slicking up a Rossi to where I want it? Or will it mean buying tools and risking mistakes with a company that does not have a stellar customer support? There is a guy who sells a DVD on slicking up a Rossi and also sells slicked up Rossi's. But if you're buying a slicked up one, would you be better off with the Henry?

I'm still hemming and hawing (and I'm not in a rush) but so far I'm leaning a bit more to the Henry.

bangerjim
01-26-2016, 07:56 PM
Good points! But while you are hemming and hawing, I will be at the range having tons fun shooting my Rossi levers with absolutly zero problems!

banger

DerekP Houston
01-26-2016, 08:45 PM
The big question I keep coming back to: Am I capable of slicking up a Rossi to where I want it? Or will it mean buying tools and risking mistakes with a company that does not have a stellar customer support? There is a guy who sells a DVD on slicking up a Rossi and also sells slicked up Rossi's. But if you're buying a slicked up one, would you be better off with the Henry?

Yes you are capable it is dead simple. I used a small file and a dremel iirc no special tools required. He sells a "kit" for the guns as well, just a different spring and magazine follower, I haven't installed the spring yet. Removing some metal from the loading gate spring and trigger and polishing the rest with 1000 grit sand paper was it. He recommends a punch for removing some of the pins if you have one handy, I used a small phillips screwdriver.

fecmech
01-26-2016, 10:00 PM
I currently own 2 Rossi's that have been trouble free for many thousands of rounds. I started my lever gun journey with a Winchester 94AE in .357. It had a very slight accuracy advantage with heavier bullets than the Rossi's but was a mechanical disaster. It would be a great gun if you were only going to hunt or maybe shoot 500-1000 rds in your lifetime. I sold it after becoming a pretty skilled 94 mechanic and replacing or modifying numerous parts. I recently won a Henry steel frame .357 in a club gun raffle and played with it before selling it. It was a pound heavier than my Rossi 24" octagon and almost 2 lbs heavier than my carbine. Gun was well made but while the Rossi launches empties into the next zip code, even when the lever was briskly operated on the Henry empties sometimes fell back into the action. I'm sure it could be rectified but accuracy was nothing special so I just sold it. On the plus side you can use conventional scopes on the Henry as opposed to the scout scope on the Rossi if you choose to scope it. I would recommend you look at both and see which you like better. I've made my choice, I've owned a Winchester, 2 Rossi's, a Henry and had the use of a Marlin 94/.357 for a summer. The Rossi's are still with me.

Lonegun1894
01-26-2016, 10:13 PM
I only have 4 Rossi 92s, well, I own 3, and am permanently designated to clean the 4th for SWMBO, so you know which way I vote. Great accuracy and no problems with any of them.

Mauser48
01-26-2016, 10:13 PM
I remember holding a henry at a gun show and it was very heavy. I usually don't care at all about gun weight but for a pistol cal plinker, that thing was heavy. I held the rossi too and it was pretty nice feeling. I will probably go with the 20 inch blued round barrel in 357.

budman5
01-26-2016, 10:28 PM
I like my Rossi because it slicked up very easy and doesn't miss a beat when shooting at a fast pace thru the complete magazine. Very little weight for the firepower it supplies.
I have loads that function great 240 gr thru 300 gr. It's all the bear medicine I need for AK river floats. I hold 2 inch groups at 50 yards, I don't think a grizzly would get to me.

bangerjim
01-26-2016, 10:53 PM
Yes you are capable it is dead simple. I used a small file and a dremel iirc no special tools required. He sells a "kit" for the guns as well, just a different spring and magazine follower, I haven't installed the spring yet. Removing some metal from the loading gate spring and trigger and polishing the rest with 1000 grit sand paper was it. He recommends a punch for removing some of the pins if you have one handy, I used a small phillips screwdriver.

I DID NOT POST THAT!!!! HOW did you get my name assigned to that statement?!?!?!?!?!

That was a comment by perpetualstudent, not me.

I am a professional machinist and engineer and am capable of for more than fiddling with a simple Rossi.

bangerjim

brtelec
01-26-2016, 11:38 PM
I have owned 2 Henry rifles one of which I sold on here and I had a Rossi also. I never experienced a single problem with my Rossi. Worked out of the box, accurate and operated very smoothly. That said, there is no comparison in the fit and finish of the Henry rifles. They are built like rifles used to be built, you will pay for it though.

KCcactus
01-26-2016, 11:46 PM
The best way to find out which you prefer is to try both.

I have 20" Rossi 92's in 357 and 44. Both were smoothed up following the Stevesgunz dvd, with his extractor spring and metal follower. I've never had the lever open on its own. Both will cycle with one finger. With mag brass, both will feed everything I've tried including backwards hbwc. I've handled new Henrys in 30-30 and 357 and they took much more effort to cycle. Plus, they are much heavier. The Henrys are nice, but I prefer the look and feel of the 92. You may have a different preference.

OverMax
01-27-2016, 02:41 AM
I had a marlin 336 and I could never get the hang of loading the darn thing. I wouldn't want to have this problem with the Rossi as well.

Well sir you might. Rossi lever your interested in has its reloading gate positioned on the Right side of its receiver too. Identical to your troubling Marlins receiver. But your quite welcome to buy which ever pleases you even if it turns out to be a Rossi.
Happy'ness definition is without a doubt: the ownership of a new gun. (:

rbuck351
01-27-2016, 04:53 AM
I have a Rossi in 454 Casull and it loads from the side, or about 3/4 the way up the tube like most 22LR tube fed guns or if you want the inner mag tube comes out and you can load them in the end of the tube. It also worked great from day one. Haven't used a Henry Big Boy so I can't comment on them.

FergusonTO35
01-27-2016, 10:03 AM
If you are only going to buy one .357 it's Henry all the way. Their quality and customer service is outstanding. Also the Henry uses a 1:16 twist whereas the Rossi uses 1:30. Rossi quality is very hit and miss and their customer service... uhm, well, leaves alot to be desired. They are neat guns and many of them work just fine. I would only buy a Rossi from my local dealer because if the gun has problems he will make it right even if Rossi won't.

That being said, if you find a JM 1894 for a reasonable price and you like it you should jump on it. They are out there. The best places to look are gun shops out in the country and pawn shops on the wrong side of the tracks.

PerpetualStudent
01-27-2016, 11:14 AM
Twist is an excellent point that I need to educate myself about, can you recommend a good source on twist rates for the .357?

jmort
01-27-2016, 11:28 AM
All the Rossis are the same twist rate.

PerpetualStudent
01-27-2016, 11:38 AM
Fair enough, but I haven't made a decision yet (I'm not the OP).

Twist rate in the .357 is a factor I want to explore before I make my decision. I know very little about twist rates- other than velocity and bullet weight can be important factors.

What is the difference (theoretical and practical) between a 1:30 twist vs a 1:16 for .357 caliber bullets? Happy to read outside links or books on this. Like I said I'm not in a hurry to pull the trigger on this and I want to make sure I make the right choice for me.

sparky45
01-27-2016, 11:42 AM
I bought 2 Rossi's for the price of a Henry......love them! Smooth cycling right out of the box. And now that they have been used for MANY hundreds of rounds of 38/357's, they are even smoother!

I would not hesitate to buy another one.

The only thing that will not cycle is full wad cutters. I chamber them one at a time. I am never in a speed shooting contest.

You are planning on exactly what I do.........22LR shooting without the $$. I can cast, coat, load and shoot 38/357's for less than 5 cents a round.

banger
I own a couple of Rossi's and my experience has shown me that the 38/357 and the 44WCF are both excellent rifles and solid as the rock of Gibraltar. Love them both.

Lonegun1894
01-27-2016, 11:48 AM
My Rossi .357 works great with 158gr SWCs. The heaviest I have tried were 175s, and they worked just fine too, but based on reading, many have trouble starting around 180+, and I know I would expect key-holes with something like the new Lee 200gr. I use GCs just to make me feel better, but have pushed a 158gr plain base boolit to 1850-1900fps in my Rossi without any leading, which is only possible thanks to that slow twist that so many hate. Lets see that happen with a 1:16" twist gun. So it's just a matter of what you want to do with it. To me, mine is a hunting rifle and I wanted to be able to use the same 158gr ammo I use in my handguns, so for me, the Rossi twist is great. Now if you want something to drive heavier boolits slow, the Rossi is not the rifle to choose.

pirkfan
01-27-2016, 12:04 PM
I've got two Rossi's (.357 and 45 Colt) and one Henry (.357). Rossi's are light, nimble, have amazingly good triggers and are accurate. I've disassembled and cleaned both often enough to be comfortable with that, replaced the ejector springs, and worked the actions to the point where they're very smooth. Both have scout scopes with QD rings. No troubles with either one. That bolt top safety everyone disses allows you to rack a magazine full of cartridges through the gun (only way to unload it) with less chance of a mishap. Fit and finish are fine for a workaday gun.
The Henry (brass receiver Big Boy) is heavier, also amazingly accurate (the extra weight makes for better offhand marksmanship if you have a twitchy trigger finger), very nice wood and workmanship, just too pretty to haul through a patch of brambles. The tube magazine lets you unload without cycling cartridges through the chamber BUT with a full magazine and one in the chamber, you have to be messing around the muzzle end of a loaded gun to unload, or else jack them all through just like the Rossi. There is no simple way to lock up a Henry, the Rossi's have a nifty little Taurus lock on the hammer which effectively makes the gun inoperable.
I had an initial problem with the Henry. It got sent back to the factory, and they actually replaced it with a new gun. Very quickly. So customer service for Henry is exemplary, and the replacement has been flawless. I haven't had any issues with the Rossi's but have heard rumors about sloooow customer service.

FergusonTO35
01-27-2016, 06:32 PM
Twist comes down to purpose. If you want to shoot the heavies a lot, especially at lower velocity, 1:16 is the way to go. If you want to shoot light to medium weight as fast as you can go then 1:30 is best. The owner of Stevezgunz told me that people who push the .357 as hard as they can do much better with 1:30, even with heavy boolits.

Uncle Grinch
01-27-2016, 06:41 PM
I had an older Interarms Rossi in 357. It was the short 16 inch version. For some dumb reason I listed it here and sold it to one of our members. It was greatly missed and was one of my biggest mistakes concerning selling/trading guns.

I know now time tends to sweeten our memory, but that was one nice handling Rossi 92.

dannyd
01-27-2016, 07:25 PM
have both in 357. Henry is way better rifle. Rossi is like shooting a toy rifle.

rbuck351
01-28-2016, 04:50 AM
Try one in 454, you'll rethink toy. Then rechamber a Henry in 454 and see how well it holds up.

FergusonTO35
01-28-2016, 09:35 AM
Under a steady diet of .454's, my shoulder would break long before either of these rifles would!!

PerpetualStudent
01-28-2016, 10:06 AM
Twist comes down to purpose. If you want to shoot the heavies a lot, especially at lower velocity, 1:16 is the way to go. If you want to shoot light to medium weight as fast as you can go then 1:30 is best. The owner of Stevezgunz told me that people who push the .357 as hard as they can do much better with 1:30, even with heavy boolits.

Hmmm. I know I'll want to take deer with it, so the question is whether I fall in the "158 driven fast" or the "heavier is better" hunting camps. :brokenima

northmn
01-28-2016, 10:40 AM
I have a Rossi and a 94 Marlin. The 94 is in 32-20 and the Rossi in 357. Only problem with the Rossi was that I could not sight it in with factory sights with the out of box rear sight. Used a needle file to lower it and it worked better, D&T it for a receiver sight and it works better yet. It is styled very similar to the 92 Winchester and breaks down similar to a Winchester. Hardwood stocks instead of walnut. Shoots very well with 158 grain bullets. As to deer hunting with one, whether the heavier bullets would work better is open to debate. As I also have a 35 Remington Marlin I don't use 200 grain bullets in a 357. Best thing is to use jacketed soft points if jacketed is use as the velocities are considerably more than for a pistol. Cast bullets require a little more experimentation. For the softer loads they feed and work well in mine.
While the Marlin 94 is a better rifle out of the box I tend to carry the little Rossi a lot. It a great rifle off the 4 wheeler or tractor.

DP

Speedo66
01-28-2016, 02:24 PM
have both in 357. Henry is way better rifle. Rossi is like shooting a toy rifle.
If by "toy rifle" you mean it's quite a bit lighter, that's a plus as far as I'm concerned. Every lb. carried all day multiplies by a factor of 10 it seems.

The Henry weights about 30-40% more than a Rossi, and costs almost twice as much. I'll take the toy.

FergusonTO35
01-28-2016, 04:57 PM
Henry now has a steel receiver/round barrel version that weighs alot less.

Good Cheer
01-28-2016, 05:51 PM
Used the Rossi with .357's and .38's for jack rabbits in Utah and south Texas.
Worked great either way but I liked coasting in the low powered .38 RCBS 162 grain SWC's best.

hanleyfan
01-30-2016, 01:18 PM
until Henry puts a loading gate in their levers I will look else where for my rifles.

Blackwater
01-30-2016, 10:28 PM
That's what turns me off the Henrys as well. I know it's not all that big a thing to most, but it is to me. Have seen some of the mag rods lost overboard at the river before, and just don't like the idea of one on a centerfire of any kind. I'd love to get a Henry because I have so much appreciation for the company, but I just can't for the life of me get over the lack of that loading port on the side. I've been trying to find a good used Rossi for a good while now, but you don't see them on the used market around here. Would also like a Marlin, too, but those are scarcer than hen's teeth around here. Falling in love with some guns is kind'a frustrating at times, but the hunt is always interesting.

Geezer in NH
01-30-2016, 11:22 PM
Easy Henry is made in the USA

Geezer in NH
01-30-2016, 11:26 PM
That's what turns me off the Henrys as well. I know it's not all that big a thing to most, but it is to me. Have seen some of the mag rods lost overboard at the river before, and just don't like the idea of one on a centerfire of any kind. I'd love to get a Henry because I have so much appreciation for the company, but I just can't for the life of me get over the lack of that loading port on the side. I've been trying to find a good used Rossi for a good while now, but you don't see them on the used market around here. Would also like a Marlin, too, but those are scarcer than hen's teeth around here. Falling in love with some guns is kind'a frustrating at times, but the hunt is always interesting.

Henry can not fix incompetence or stupid in their users. Pay attention you are handling a deadly piece of equipment. Don't lean over the side and drop the tube DUH!

michael.birdsley
01-31-2016, 02:51 AM
[QUOTE=Geezer in NH;3526210]Easy Henry is made in the USA[/QUOTE
"Made in America or not Made at all" Is the company slogan

Lonegun1894
01-31-2016, 06:57 AM
I agree. I'd love to give Henry a chance, but not til they start putting a loading gate on their CFs. I have one in .22LR and love it, but a CF NEEDS a loading gate, at least in my opinion.

ironhead7544
02-02-2016, 11:25 AM
The Henry would be a bit easier to load if they put a shorter mag tube on it. The carbine or pistol mag setup on a 20 inch barrel would be great. You dont need 10 rounds for hunting. They could put a limiter tab on the barrel to keep the mag tube from falling out.

robg
02-02-2016, 03:19 PM
Are Henrys as easy to strip down as my win 94 as I like to clean and repair my own rifles

Geezer in NH
02-08-2016, 05:23 PM
Sorry want easy take down get a Marlin as the win 94 sure is not user easy IMHO

Flinchrock
02-08-2016, 06:47 PM
I have a Henry in 45Colt and a M92 WIN in 45Colt, the Henry is much easier! Can't say about a '94.

BigAl52
02-08-2016, 09:29 PM
Just what I want to do buy a gun made in Brazil and then watch a DVD on how to slick it up. Buy American and keep Americans working. For all of you that can't get over the side gate thing Henrys have been built that way for a long time. Personal preference. But I will be shooting again by the time you get the 10th round stuffed in that finger pichin marlin load gate.

nicodiesel
02-10-2016, 05:55 AM
go in a gunshop that keep both i n stock, shoulder/handle them, cycle them and pick the one that you like and feel more comfortable and the one that will suit the application you need it for.

i personly prefer Henry as they are built and crafted finer and give me opportunity to mount scope right of the box and i will likely buy a rifle they is made in north america by american workers

w5pv
02-10-2016, 07:47 AM
I have a Rossi in the 45Colt I have a few hundred rounds through it,No problems.I have never changed the 0 from the factory setting and everything that I have shot with it has fell like rock.I consider it a 100 to 150 yard gun.It shoots good out to 75 yards that is the distance my home range is.When I bought I couldn't see the difference in price for a gun that was suppose to have problems with the tang breaking.I know of a couple of 92 Rossi's that were bored to take 454 Casull and so far no reported problems with either.I don't think that I would re chamber my gun.I have saw where people have posted that the 45Colt and the 454 Casull were different and not to make the mod.

FergusonTO35
02-11-2016, 06:45 PM
If you like a particular rifle that is a good enough reason to own it!

jmort
02-11-2016, 06:56 PM
^^^ Exactly

Seeker
02-11-2016, 07:15 PM
I agree. With supply and demand as it is now days, a few bad ones are going to slip through QC. That is no reason to write off the manufacturer.

prsman23
02-11-2016, 10:15 PM
I've got the Rossi. Great gun. No problems. Shoot it to "break it in"
I can't stand loading the Henry from the tube. Seems wrong in a lever from that period.

CLAYPOOL
02-11-2016, 11:16 PM
My .454 Rossie has been great from day one. I took off there pad and installed a "Kick Ease" and never looked back. need to refinish stock maybe one of these days. Boys I'm clumsy and drop or fall down a lot. Soooo.... yes my stuff looks used. Clean and works great. I shot a 10 gauge for years and 3 inch lead loads too. So recoil is not a lot considering the gun and caliber..

Flinchrock
02-13-2016, 10:27 PM
^^^ Exactly

What he said!

Ilwil
02-15-2016, 07:44 PM
I have gun socks on all my long guns, even when stored in the safe. It really keeps the dings to almost nil. I was particularly glad for the habit when I got my Golden Boy in .45, especially when I read of how so many pick up those safe dings.