PDA

View Full Version : Any finishing touches on ramrod thimbles?

RhodeHunter
01-26-2016, 12:15 PM
The inner edges of my thimbles are very sharp, like they're shaving a little wood off the ramrod. Maybe just shaving the finish off the ramrod. But it makes me wonder if people round off the inner edges on these brass thimbles?

waksupi
01-26-2016, 12:41 PM
Yep, go ahead and chamfer the edges.

country gent
01-26-2016, 12:49 PM
There are deburring tools sold in tool shops that will remove the sharp edge and leave a nice smooth radious on the edge. A ery sharp exacto knife used carefully will remove the sharp edge and produce a chamfer. Like crowning a barrel a small ball and sand paper or metal polish will brreack this edge very finely and may not even show to the eye. Always remeber brass is a soft material and a soft touch is required or more material may be removed than is desired Wayne

pietro
01-26-2016, 06:51 PM

Before using power tools, I would simply circularly rub each end of each thimble with a small India stone, or a small piece of emery paper under the ball of the thumb, with pressure on the inside edges.

dondiego
01-27-2016, 11:15 AM
Anyone that reloads rifle ammo should have a chamfering tool that would work but the advice to use sandpaper or a stone would produce a smoother surface.