PDA

View Full Version : What rifle did this fit on?....bayonet

duckey
01-25-2016, 11:41 AM
I inherited this from my wife's grandfather. He was a submariner during the pacific war. He had a cousin in the Army that he met up with in HI who was pulling some security detail on the base for a while. I found a pick of the two of them and it appears he has a bayonet on a sheath strapped to his belt and his service rifle. The pic is not clear enough to see much detail. I am assuming this bayonet was from his cousin but not sure. The tang that fits over the barrel appears to have been ground off. Any ideas? There is a W with a circle stamped into the blas at the base. Haven't found much online about this.

OS OK
01-25-2016, 12:20 PM
The hilt resembles the German K98, so does the blood groove. The tang looks re-worked and the muzzle loop has been ground off. The leather handle appears to be new altogether or some from a K-Bar. It's length I think its altered at the shiny area where the blood groove becomes less defined and takes off at an angle. Looks like someone welded that blade back together and did the best they could to make it look like it was made like this. I don't have a clue regarding that stamp mark.
In fact I don't have a clue!

Scharfschuetze
01-25-2016, 12:35 PM
I believe that, like OS OK, it is a rebuilt bayonet.

Which one? It is from a US 1917 or a British Pattern 14 rifle and it was manufactured by Winchester.

To bad they didn't put as much effort into the bayonet as they did the leather sheath that was made for it.

bob208
01-25-2016, 12:50 PM
yep a 17 bayonet made by Winchester and reworked .

OS OK
01-25-2016, 01:05 PM
"Well done there…Scharfchuetz…I think duckey owes you $65 because that was the '65 $ question' for certain…fast work mate!"
That was fun…what else you got?

duckey
01-25-2016, 03:27 PM
Well that didn't take long. Thanks! So the one I have is double edged, I can't seem to see any type of weld job but that doesn't mean it never happened at some point. I found the knife in the sheath underneath a tool box sitting on a concrete basement floor. The leather was green with mold/mildew and very dry rotted but intact. I scrubbed it with soap and water, let it dry then oiled it. Any value? It will be a conversation piece if anything.

GOPHER SLAYER
01-25-2016, 05:02 PM
I sold one of those several years ago for $75. I didn't have the scabbard but the bayonet was unmolested.

Scharfschuetze
01-26-2016, 03:08 AM
I might add that the M1917 bayonet was also used on the 1897 trench shotgun in WWI and the Model 12 trench shotguns as well as a few others that were issued for for WWII.

gwpercle
01-30-2016, 09:15 PM
Somebody had a bayonet , but wanted a double edged dagger for fighting so , he made one! Neat!

10-x
01-31-2016, 10:42 AM
In collector circles they are know as Theater made fighting knives. Some go for Big $$$. Find a copy of Coles book on military knives, many are shown there, as for value check flea- bay.

vzerone
01-31-2016, 12:52 PM
I believe that, like OS OK, it is a rebuilt bayonet.

Which one? It is from a US 1917 or a British Pattern 14 rifle and it was manufactured by Winchester.

To bad they didn't put as much effort into the bayonet as they did the leather sheath that was made for it.

Why is the blood groove different then the 17 bayonet? It appears the more round bottom type groove then the flat bottom of the 17?

Hardcast416taylor
01-31-2016, 02:42 PM
Just like some of the articles called `Trench Art` from WW1 there are many versions of `custom` working objects in WW-11 as there were done by soliders in every war.Robert