PDA

View Full Version : Swedish Mauser weak ejection

richhodg66
01-24-2016, 11:19 PM
I was shooting a sporterized Swede today and it really doesn't want to kick out the empty cases. If I slam the bolt back hard, it usually will, but weakly.

Is a new ejector and spring in order or is this a common problem with an easy fix?

Mk42gunner
01-25-2016, 12:32 AM
Does the extractor hold a case firmly on the bolt or not? With most Mausers I have played with, if the case is loose on the bolt face/ extractor, they kind of dribble out of the action.

It seems to me the case needs to be held tight for the ejector to really kick it out by pivoting around the extractor hook.

Robert

richhodg66
01-25-2016, 12:43 AM
It extracts fine, how else can I tell if the extractor isn't holding it firmly enough?

It seems on most '98 Mausers and variants I have shot, you can't really single load a cartridge, it has to be fed up through the magazine. This one will feed a round that has just been layed on the follower. Does this mean the extracto was modified as part of the sporterizing?

Frank46
01-25-2016, 01:42 AM
Sounds as though the extractor on your Swede may have been modified so as to allow the claw on the extractor to more easily snap over the cartridge case rim. Mauser extractors are only designed to feed from the magazine. And you may want to check out the ejector box as it may also have been tinkered with or be clogged with old grease and dirt. Should not cost a great deal to replace the extractor or the ejector and get the old girl up and running. Frank

Dutchman
01-25-2016, 02:54 AM
Bottom gauge is for the extractor.

1.8mm to 1.9mm acceptable clearance from bolt face to extractor claw.
2.00mm is no-go, excessive.

http://media.fotki.com/1_p,rrqwqkgddbdssbfxwfqbfsgtwfb,vi/kgtddqfsxrrrbwbrsqxtqfqtwrdq/4/28344/9597910/scan0005-vi.jpg

corbinace
01-25-2016, 03:58 AM
You may also want to look at the profile of the ejector. I has one that was broken off and the cases would not really snap out as designed. No measuring for this check up. Just use your eye to see if it looks like the stock ones posted on Google images.

Also, as mentioned by others, the Mauser is designed to feed from the magazine. Feeding it by riding the extractor over the case may have damaged it over time.

Good luck

Gtek
01-25-2016, 08:40 PM
Controlled feed by design, round from magazine slides up bolt face under extractor on trip to chamber. I would remove bolt, rotate extractor to line up with right lug. Slide case into bolt face under claw, can you kind of shake it out real easy? Someone forcing push feed style may already have bent claw outward forward of band attachment. May be able to remove and tweak back but one usually only gets one bend, two bends eventually makes two pieces I have came across some that were modified by removing material to allow push feed type loading, never seemed to help the original design. The ejector is just a spring loaded protrusion, if you can operate bolt and upon extraction and case hits it one would assume your good there. My money would be on a new extractor and chamber out of box.

flounderman
01-25-2016, 10:04 PM
Pull the bolt back all the way and see how much ejector projects thru the bolt face. The ejector may be short.

richhodg66
01-26-2016, 06:49 AM
I think I'll just pull it apart and give a thorough scrubbing with some Ed's Red and a plastic brush first, but worst case, how hard to replace an extractor on these? The ejector and spring should be a no brainer, I have dissassembled '98s down that far and reassembled, this looks to be about the same.

Hickok
01-26-2016, 08:17 AM
Rich remove the ejector and spring from the rifle and give it all a good scrubbing, and also the slot on the action where the ejector is located. Could be gummed up. Also clean out the slot on the bolt lug where the ejector goes into.

As for removing the extractor from a Mauser, it isn't difficult. It must be rotated past the bolt lugs, (takes a little push) and then be driven forward to release it. A cut off plastic tooth brush handle or a piece of wood to tap the extractor forward. It is made like a leaf spring, and pressing down on the mid section of the extractor helps removing it and re-installing it.

It is connected to the bolt by the round band you see on the bolt, that fits into a dovetail in the extractor.

Can't explain it clearly, sure wish I could find some pictures to help.

Hickok
01-26-2016, 08:23 AM
Found it. Not all Mauser Extractor remove this easy!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=76A63PPR740

waksupi
01-26-2016, 12:53 PM
The extractor isn't the problem, it's the ejector.

Hickok
01-26-2016, 01:59 PM
Rich just wanted to know about disassembly of the Mauser extractor, I think because of the chance some one may have altered it in some way to feed without the "controlled feed" of military Mausers.

dualsport
01-26-2016, 02:07 PM
The extractor isn't the problem, it's the ejector. That's what I'd check. I think it was popular to grind down the ejectors a little on 'sporters'. Then they won't fling the empties so far.

richhodg66
01-26-2016, 09:45 PM
Since the ejector is definitely the cheaper and easier thing to try, I'll check that first.

Hickok
01-27-2016, 10:53 AM
Rich, get back and give us a report. I am thinking something amiss with the ejector too.