PDA

View Full Version : Which Dillon - BL550, Square Deal or RL550?

Sam Casey
01-24-2016, 10:54 PM
Have a RCBS Summit and want to speed things up a bit. Been thinking good turret press and Dillon keeps coming up as "best there is". I'll be doing mostly pistol, maybe some small to medium action rifle (222,223,308). Been to the Dillon site and checking out several of the Google videos. Most guys seem pretty happy with older equipment, ie a basic 550 whatever that is ... maybe todays BL550? Should i buy new and which or find an older one on EB? Appreciate input from Dillon owners.

wrench man
01-24-2016, 11:08 PM
SD only does pistol calibers, NO rifle, and they use proprietary DILLON dies.
The BL550 is the RL550 without all the bells and whistles, if you can afford the RL550 go for that, you'll probably end up spending more in the end to upgrade the BL to an RL, and they use standard 7/8-14 dies so no special Dillon only dies.
Used ones don't come up often?, and when they do they get almost new $ for them.
I have Dillon, RCBS, and Lyman presses on my bench, the Dillon sees about 97+% of the duty.

Artful
01-24-2016, 11:11 PM
good advise above - get the complete set up if you can if not get the basic 550

jmort
01-24-2016, 11:13 PM
I would get the BL550 but I would like it exactly that way.

corbinace
01-24-2016, 11:33 PM
As for me, I would opt for RL550B new form Dillon with your choice of conversion. You can rarely find one much cheaper on Ebay and you have to wait and stress about getting it. Dillon will ship it tomorrow if you pay now, and you will be using it next weekend. I would like a second one one of these days so I can avoid changing primer systems from small to large.

stranded1980
01-25-2016, 01:02 AM
My first press was the Dillon Square Deal B. Never failed to prime, automatic indexing worked perfectly, every round passed the case gauge, the sucker worked like a dream. Having said, I would NOT recommend it new from the factory. If you can find it used for under $175, then maybe go for it. When I bought it, I thought I would only ever load 10mm. I was wrong, and the SDB is expensive and time consuming to convert to other calibers and doesn't allow for rifle rounds.

I eventually got a used Dillon RL550B, and wished I bought that from the start. It "grew" with me as the numbers of calibers I reload increased.

I'd avoid the BL550 since the automatic priming is one of the features that saves so much time on a progressive.

runfiverun
01-25-2016, 01:09 AM
550-B.
simple as all get out and will do bout everything from 0-6 down with no drama.
I load varmint rounds revolver/pistol, and much of my general 1900 fps cast rifle stuff on a 550.
if I need it to go fast 350-400 rds an hour is a nice even pace that returns good mistake free ammo.
without wearing me out.

jmort
01-25-2016, 01:33 AM
The reason I like the BL 550 is I will always prime and deprime off the press.

1845greyhounds
01-25-2016, 01:40 AM
I also vote for the RL550 for all the reasons already mentioned, PLUS, you can use it like a BL550.

I've run a RL550 and a few SDBs for about 25 years. For someone who loads multiple pistol and rifle calibers, and only needs a few hundred rounds/hr of good quality (but not precision) ammo, the RL550 is a good choice.

If you need precision rifle ammo, use the 550 as a single stage press to size your cases (and maybe seat bullets too). I use it as a single stage because I can setup my sizing die 1x and leave it setup in my removable toolhead. Reprime using a hand tool or a single stage press with good feel (I use a Forester CO-AX). Then meter your powder with a precision thrower (not the dillon for anything but ball or very short kernel powder). You can seat rifle bullets with a Dillon, but the runout may suffer. I recommend using your single stage press.

If you can afford it, a XL650 is a better long term investment. I say this for 3 reasons.
1 - You can sell it for full, current value almost instantly.
2 - You can load everything a lot faster, especially if you ultimately buy/make a bullet and/or case feeder. Eventually you'll want to load faster than the 550 or SDB will support...
3 - Safety: While I haven't ever double charged a case, it's easy to do with a manually indexed press like a 550. Some will say you just need to set a rythm, look in each case, and pay attention. All true, but this all relies on YOU. As someone that develops manufacturing equipment and processes, people fail and they should be avoided as controls for critical-to-safety operations (like catching dbl charges of low volume pistol powder - I actually use higher volume powders for this reason: a dbl throw overflows the case).

By contrast an auto indexing press will never give a double charge of powder. If you short stroke it, you'll get a case that doesn't have any powder (a squib). Or you can add a Dillon Powder Check die to detect significantly different powder level in the case. The powder check die isn't a practical option on a 550 because of where the bullet seating die is located in the die pattern vs your hand positions.

Kevin Rohrer
01-25-2016, 07:57 AM
Owned a RL550 since the mid-90s. It will easily reload all those cartridges, although first-time FL resizing .308 MG ammo will require your Summit.

Get the RL model and save yourself lots of time and aggravation.

TenTea
01-25-2016, 08:07 AM
I would like a second one one of these days so I can avoid changing primer systems from small to large.

You've got to be kidding...easy as pie and takes, literally, 1 minute.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nb1CvjA7UmA

imashooter2
01-25-2016, 08:30 AM
I guess I'm the odd man out. I have an RL550B and a SDB on the bench and I go with the SDB whenever possible. The short stroke and auto advance are wonderful features. If you include the price of dies, then conversions are not all that different in cost, but most folks upgrading already have standard dies.

jmorris
01-25-2016, 11:01 AM
I guess I'm the odd man out. I have an RL550B and a SDB on the bench and I go with the SDB whenever possible.

Your not the odd man, I too prefer to load with the SD but unless you know something we don't you can't load .222,.223 or 308 with one.

oldcanadice
01-25-2016, 12:22 PM
If I could only keep one press it would be the 550B. I used to always deprime and reprime off the presses, but because of the Dillon I only do that now for special loads. If you want, you can take the case back off stage 1 once you punch the primer to inspect the case and clean the pocket, then put it back on to prime. Just twist the case clockwise while rolling it out.

You can also load one at a time by by pulling the pins out on stages 2 and 3 and using it like a turret. Just take the case off if you want to check it, then put it back on and proceed. Set up like that it works as a great bench primer, too, but with a better armored setup.

Pee Wee
01-25-2016, 12:47 PM

Ten Tea,
thank you for sharing. That is just to cool, you are a genius.

corbinace
01-25-2016, 12:50 PM

Nope, not kidding at all. I guess I had been doing it wrong all these years. When I got my Dillon in '92, the internet was still in it's infancy and Youtube...well, you know. I just followed the written directions and being a bit of a non-innovator, kept on doing what I did the last time.

Thank you for the video and insight. I learned a bit more by the follow-on videos.

Tim.

TenTea
01-25-2016, 12:53 PM
Ten Tea,
thank you for sharing. That is just to cool, you are a genius.

Nope, not kidding at all. I guess I had been doing it wrong all these years. When I got my Dillon in '92, the internet was still in it's infancy and Youtube...well, you know. I just followed the written directions and being a bit of a non-innovator, kept on doing what I did the last time.

Thank you for the video and insight. I learned a bit more by the follow-on videos.

Tim.

You're welcome. :D
I will take credit for sharing the video, but I didn't make the video, nor was the primer cup switch my idea.
I thought both the idea and the video were stellar and I've been changing primer size this way every since.
I used to change out the entire assembly too.
Glad to be of service...

jmorris
01-25-2016, 01:57 PM
He likely had an SD before the 550 as that's what you have to do on them to change the anvil and cup. Have to remove 3 socket head cap screws to get to the set screw though.

r1kk1
01-25-2016, 03:05 PM
I have had a SD and had it refurbished later to a SDB. No problems with it. I really can't count how many 45acp's I have loaded on it. After the refurbish I traded it for a loaded San Diego Star with quite a few accessories. My 450 became a 550 and it churns out ammo day in and day out. I bought it because I needed a press that would grow with me over time and it certainly has. I believe I have every shellplate made for it and every button. I've loaded from .17 caliber to .50 caliber non BMG stuff on it. The most versatile progressive press made. I have another complete priming assembly for it so primer swaps are extremely fast. The 550 will stay on my bench. I haven't seen another press with maybe the 2000 that can load so many different things. When you own a switch barrel Savage as well as Encore's and Contender's, you need the versatility as I do.

take care,

r1kk1

Plate plinker
01-25-2016, 06:21 PM
550 hands down its more versatile.

steelworker
01-25-2016, 09:11 PM
I went with the 650 so I could have the auto indexing AND the powder checker station. Its fun to load on it, you just get in rhythm and start cranking out perfect ammunition.

Unless you can find a used one locally thats priced right, I would just call up Grafs or the Dillon factory and order it.

Mike Kerr
01-25-2016, 09:23 PM
Have a RCBS Summit and want to speed things up a bit. .....I'll be doing mostly pistol, maybe some small to medium action rifle (222,223,308

Buy a Dillon RL550B. Continue to enjoy life.

retread
01-25-2016, 09:55 PM
I still load rifle with a single stage RC when using extruded powder so I can weigh each round but all pistol and rifle that use powder that meters consistently I do on the RL550B. What a pleasure to load on. Hard to beat!

wrench man
01-26-2016, 12:00 AM

I did it that once and will NEVER do it again!, the punch height is fairly specific and if it's off it won't feed!
I don't know why everyone whines about the primer feed?, if you press the shell plate down onto the feed cup before you tighten the allen screws on the bottom it'll line right back up!

DW475
01-26-2016, 12:04 AM
RL550, you won't be disappointed!

alg3205
01-26-2016, 01:01 AM
I got my first 550 in the 1980's, over time I upgraded the rig to the RL 550 trim level. In the mid 1990's I got another 550, again over time that was also upgraded. My current setup uses one of the 550 using the small primer and a Dillon case feeder. That machine is used to load 9mm, 38/357, 40, and 223. The other machine has the large primer and is used for the 45 acp, 45 auto rim, 308 and 30-06. I also use that machine (large primer) with the Dillon length cutter to get to correct case length. This system works great when I want to load batches of 1,000-2,000. My other loading is done on a RCBS Rock Chucker. I use the Dillon powder measure with no problems, I found for rifle that with a consistent motion the measures work fine with all powders.

The one constant is that any Dillon press will give good service, get the one that best fits your need. I have found that the staff and Dillon will give good advice and not try to up sell you, a 1050 would be nice by kind of overkill if the 550 or 650 will do the trick for you.

Good luck.

jmorris
01-26-2016, 11:38 AM
I did it that once and will NEVER do it again!, the punch height is fairly specific and if it's off it won't feed!

If you put an unsized/not deprimed case in station 1 and put force on it like your trying to seat the primer then tighten the set screw it will be fully seated.

If it's too high, you will likely bugger the plastic tip on the primer tube and have to change it.

TenTea
01-26-2016, 11:53 AM
If you put an unsized/not deprimed case in station 1 and put force on it like your trying to seat the primer then tighten the set screw it will be fully seated.

If it's too high, you will likely bugger the plastic tip on the primer tube and have to change it.

Another good tip, thanks!

bgw45
01-26-2016, 02:03 PM
For the few dollars more the RL provides way more features and benefits. Simple..........RL

David2011
02-02-2016, 10:25 PM
I bought my RL550 back in 1991 and have never regretted it. It's very versatile. If you can load .45ACP you can load any rifle cartridge that uses that shell holder by only adding dies and preferably a toolhead. I've found that the Dillon powder measure works as well as or better than any rotating drum measure. With stick powders I think it's better than rotary measures. With a light, fluffy powder I had trouble with the Dillon measure at very light charge weights (under 4 grains). It's like measuring Cheerios and charges would vary +/- 0.2 grains. I was afraid the 0.2 under might not get the boolit out of the barrel so I changed to something that metered more consistently.

David

lightload
02-03-2016, 01:01 AM
I bought the RL to keep my life simple during old age. I too prefer to de-prime and prime off press. I did buy a used but like new SDB in .45 acp for $125 and will dedicate it to one .45 load. For some tasks I'll use one of my turret presses.

alfloyd
02-03-2016, 02:10 AM
" I had trouble with the Dillon measure at very light charge weights (under 4 grains)."

Dillon makes a extra small powder slide to use with small powder charges, like less than 4 grains.
I have one I use and like it as it does a great job of throwing small charges.

Lafaun

StuBach
02-03-2016, 03:20 AM
Have to add weight to this one. First and foremost, good decision to go with Dillon. They are a top notch company that takes great care of their customers. I've been reloading on a 550b since late eighties I believe (was a kid using my Dad's) and it still cranks great and the lifetime warranty is awesome if anything ever breaks.

Like mentioned above, when I built my own reloading bench I opted for the 650 to add auto indexing and "powder cop" which gives nice piece of mind. If you can afford to go this route it is great but conversion sets are a bit pricier and caliber swap time is a bit longer but adds significant production capability.

SDB I've been told is a great starter but you'll outgrow quickly. 1050 is an awesome machine but doesn't carry the warranty which is worth a lot to me.

jmorris
02-03-2016, 11:47 AM
SDB I've been told is a great starter but you'll outgrow quickly. 1050 is an awesome machine but doesn't carry the warranty which is worth a lot to me.

I don't use them as much now that I have 650's and 1050's but I wouldn't say I have out grown my SD's over the last 30 years, just have gotten more lazy.

Lefty Red
02-09-2016, 08:04 AM
The reason I like the BL 550 is I will always prime and deprime off the press.

My shooting buddy does that for his 44/357s. Deprimes and tumbles, then resizes and primes on his turret. He has his 550b set up with RCBS dies with the expander in station one, Dillion powder charge die on second, third station is RCBS seater, and finally a crimper die.

Jerry

Lefty Red
02-09-2016, 08:28 AM
I had a SDB and liked it. It's finicky, like some progressives, and would really thinking of picking another one up for just caliber and load. Especially if I was shooting a lot of bottom feeder calibers like 9/40/45. Would pay for itself within a year of you shot 3000/3500 rounds a year. But it's not a press to run small beaches on and swap out calibers on a regular basis. But it would be doable if you loaded up a large batch of one caliber for a few days then swapped out for another for a yearly or bi annually re supply.
Few things I didn't like about the SDP was the whip like auto indexing and it was cramped working on it. And swapping out primer sizes was more finicky then the larger presses. It's more plastics than the other Dillion's, but still backed up by Dillion.

The 550 is so versatile and highly praised, I can't believe other companies haven't but out a copy cat press like it. A 3/4/5 station progressive, manual indexing, with an easy swap out of tool heads (but couldn't you see a cool version using a Lee Breech Lock or Hornady LNL system) using universal equipment. You remove case feeders and bullet feeders and auto indexing, you have removed 90% of all progressive press's problems. I have the RL550b and very happy with it.

Jerry

Sam Casey
02-09-2016, 09:09 PM
I am sold on the 550b. I see Scheels has best price on basic press. Since there seem to be things beyond base press I will need, think I will order direct from Dillon. Can anyone tell me what the dems of strong mount base are ... Size of footprint. And about how high and how wide is 550 on that mount? Need to find a place for it. Thank you.

Lefty Red
02-10-2016, 04:25 AM
I am sold on the 550b. I see Scheels has best price on basic press. Since there seem to be things beyond base press I will need, think I will order direct from Dillon. Can anyone tell me what the dems of strong mount base are ... Size of footprint. And about how high and how wide is 550 on that mount? Need to find a place for it. Thank you.

Just a tad over 9"x9".
Oops! That is for the Inline Fab's mount. Sorry

Jerry

wrench man
02-11-2016, 02:54 AM
The Strong Mount is 12 1/2" wide and 10" front to back.

Sam Casey
02-11-2016, 10:52 AM
Thank you

convert69
02-12-2016, 06:57 PM
I have had both the 550b and the 650. If you can swing it get the 650.