PDA

View Full Version : Bought a Lee 20 pounder

Rich/WIS
01-24-2016, 01:35 PM
Got tired of waiting for my old Lyman 20 pounder to heat so decided to bite the bullet and try a Lee. Figured for $75 delivered I wasn't risking too much. Was surprised at how quickly it melted a potful of alloy. Used a lead thermometer to check temps and experiment with the thermostat settings until I found the temp range I wanted. Used some anti-seize on the flow linkage and had no issues with it, minimal dripping. Very happy with it overall, only bitch was the cheesy mold guide. Easy fix, positioned a Lyman guide on the base and marked location, drilled two 3/8 holes in the base and used 1/2 in shoulder bolts to serve as supports. Only issue now is clearance, works well with everything except NOE, so will have to remove the mold guide and shorten it about 3/8 in. May not be the pricy new Lyman or the really pricey RCBS, but I don't think the alloy or mold really cares, and replacement parts are readily available and easy to install if ever needed (over the years have spent more on replacement thermostats than I paid for the Lee).

jgh4445
01-24-2016, 09:49 PM
I have one too. I'm on my second pot full. Yep, the mold rest sux. Would you mind posting a picture of your mod? I need to build one.

koehlerrk
01-24-2016, 09:52 PM
Been looking at one myself... and heard the same problems. Please post pics of your mold support.

melloairman
01-24-2016, 11:36 PM
I turn the support upside down and the longer plate on top seems to work ok .Marvin

zubrato
01-25-2016, 12:16 AM
Keeping an eye on this thread, been looking for clever 4-20lb pot mods..

454PB
01-25-2016, 12:43 AM
I don't think my Lee pots are gonna die before I do. My oldest one is 40, the youngest is 20, and they all work as well as they did when new. I'm guessing they have melted about 2 tons of lead over the years.

dikman
01-25-2016, 12:43 AM
I have both Lee and RCBS and the Lee heats up a lot quicker than the RCBS.

Rich/WIS
01-25-2016, 10:27 AM
I have never figured out how to post pics. You will need two shoulder bolts (got mine at Ace) with 1/2" diameter main body, if like mine they will have a 3/8 X 16 threaded portion and nuts to fit (think this is standard). I used kep nuts, these have a wider sort of washer like portion that eliminates the need or a washer and lock nut. I used the 2" bolts as I have no small molds, is you do then get 2.5" bolts. Best description I can give is:

1. Position the Lyman guide on the base so the rear of the guide if almost touching the upright part of the body and it clears the right hand support rod and mark it's location.
2. Drill 3/8" holes in the base and install the guide.
3. Grind off the ends of the bolts to get them to below the level of the pot base.
4. Depending on your mold height you may need to shorten the guide. My NOE mold have only 1/4" below the spout, so I plan to shorten the guide legs about 3/8".

I took the base off the furnace when I did this, but if you are handier than I am with tools and measuring you can do it with the base attached.

DerekP Houston
01-25-2016, 12:01 PM
That's supposed to be a mold rest?!?! I had no idea what that silly thing on the side was.

Freightman
01-25-2016, 12:11 PM
Don't remember how long mine has been around but a long time think I paid $30 for it new.

Hickok
01-25-2016, 12:36 PM
I got one for Christmas and I like it. I ladle pour and it works great. Still have my old Lee 10 pound melter, and I throw my sprue into it.

zubrato
01-25-2016, 04:34 PM
Hmm, any place that sells spare lyman mold guides? this & raising the pot an inch or two higher may be what mine needs.
I've noticed it's kind of difficult to see the spout like I used to be able on the 10 lb pot.

typz2slo
01-31-2016, 09:52 PM
I added this to mine. Made a big difference.
http://www.my2ndright.com/pdfs/Instructions.pdf