PDA

View Full Version : Nobel Vectan GM3

Elkins45
01-24-2016, 07:31 AM
I bought six bottles of this stuff ($18 for 500 grams, which is 1.1 pounds) when Graf's was having the free hazmat deal before Christmas. It was described as a granular powder, and that's as good a description as any. It is a light gray and the grains look like little irregular gravels. Other than Trail Boss it is just about the fluffiest stuff I have ever used.

It is listed as a shotgun powder and Nobel doesn't provide pistol data for it, but their burn chart lists the burn rate as being equivalent to AA#5. The only problem is that it is so fluffy that it takes up almost 2x the space. As an example: last night I loaded up some 357 Sig using 10.0 grains of AA#7. I wanted to do some test rounds with GM3 so I swapped powders. The same powder measure setting that dropped 10.0 of #7 dropped just a touch under 5 grains of GM3. There's not enough room in the case to reach what would even be the starting load weight for #5.

The upside is that this looks to be a great powder for tall, skinny 38 specials because it will be bulky enough that a double charge of even a light load will be obvious, and a correct load will be easy to see before seating a bullet on a progressive press.

jonp
01-25-2016, 07:56 PM
My first experience with Vectan was with GM3 and I posted a thread using 38sp.

Try some of the links I posted here http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?296529-Vectan-A1-38-Special-load-data for reloading data using Vectan.

This one http://www.armerialsa.it/ricarica%2038%20sp.htm was specifically for 38sp but you can use the site I think and look for other calibers. I was mainly interested in hunting down GM3/38sp loads.

The LHS you have to play to find others but I included a link specifically for Vectan and 38sp

Elkins45
02-14-2016, 09:56 AM
I think they are a tad conservative on their burn rate description. I think based on my first tests using starting load data for AA #5 that it burns much closer to #2 than #5. It's a little worrisome when the brass ejects to the right but a primer bounces off your nose. Good thing I didn't load up a bucket full of them before testing!

jonp
02-16-2016, 08:36 AM
You think its faster? I know i started well under the loads they list before i found the sites.

LeftyDon
02-16-2016, 01:14 PM
Nobel thinks the Ba series of powders are best for pistol loads. For some reason their chart of powder lists GM3 as close to Accurate #5, IMR SR-7625 and Winchester Autocomp. You can download all of their Vectan powder data here: https://www.grafs.com/catalog/tech-resource/technicalResourceId/20/productId/11585

Elkins45
02-16-2016, 10:48 PM
You think its faster? I know i started well under the loads they list before i found the sites.

4.5 grains of it under a 120 grain cast bullet in 9mm was blowing primers clean out of the brass. That should be a safe load with AA #5 but clearly it wasn't with GM3.

jonp
02-17-2016, 08:43 PM
huh...I started with GM3 specifically to test their shotgun powders out in pistol. I've found them to be pretty good quality. As for 9mm I haven't tried any in 9mm yet. In 38sp, 357Mag and 45Colt I have noticed that lower charges seem to do fine but I haven't really been testing the upper ranges being more interested in accuracy.