PDA

View Full Version : great cylinder pin lube

bigted
01-23-2016, 10:09 PM
going to the range yesterday to blow out the cobwebs ... I realize that I had no lube along for the cylinder pins on my revolvers.

so I stopped by a NAPA store to find some synthetic greese for the cyl pins and had a heck of a time finding any. finally found a single tube at the last store and bought it to give a try.

in the past I have kept a tube of Mobile-1 synthetic on hand but couldn't find any in this farming/ranching area.

what I did find was called "Green Greese". not thinking I would receive much performance from it ... I swabbed up my cylinder pin with the stuff on the Ruger Vaquero and proceeded to begin shooting the loads I took with me. the load was 30 grain 3Fg pushing a 260 grain big groove boolit from an accurate mold I have had for some time.

short storie long ... this crazy stuff works like a million dollars. worked in the colt 357 with the 21 grains 3Fg pushing a Lee 158 grain fairly large lube groove boolit ... moving along to my new Pietta 1860, I removed the barrel and cylinder and slathered the arbor up and put it back together and began to shoot.

shot all the ammo I had with no hangups in the least. the cap n ball functioned till I was thru with the balls I had on hand [prolly 50 or 60 balls].

all in all this "Green Greese" is the huckleberry for sure.

John Allen
01-23-2016, 11:40 PM
I will have to get some I am always looking for new stuff.

w5pv
01-24-2016, 12:42 PM
Give us a name of retailer that handles it.

Maven
01-24-2016, 12:57 PM
NAPA and Auto Zone carry it, w5pv: http://www.autozone.com/greases-and-gear-oil/lubricant-grease/green-grease-14-oz-396-893-g-multipurpose-synthetic-grease/945652_0_0/

ndnchf
01-24-2016, 12:59 PM
A quick Google search shows it at NAPA, Advance Auto Parts, Pep Boys, Auto Zone, Amazon. It seems to be readily available.

Nueces
01-24-2016, 01:38 PM
Amazon Prime has a trio of 3 oz tubes for $7.95 shipped. Handy size for the shooting kit, no tax and it drops at your door.

cajun shooter
01-26-2016, 11:29 AM
I've yet to find anything that will out do the Mobil 1 synthetic I've used for several years. I've shot as many as 60 rounds of 44 wcf in my SASS revolvers that are loaded with 33-34 grains of 2F and the cylinders are turning as well as the first round fired.
I keep a small container in my shooting box as I've had to help out many shooters who had cylinders that no longer would turn. I also have removable bushings which are removed and lubed when cleaning before inserting the lubed cylinder pins. Later David

bigted
01-26-2016, 07:00 PM
David ... I have you to thank for sending me down the Mobil-1 road.

I have used it to good effect ever since ... However ... After I shopped in 3 or 4 NAPA stores where I used to buy it in Alaska ... I asked the young man behind the counter if they carried ANY synthetic greese and this lonely tube was all he came up with ... I think it gives the Mobil-1 a run in the effective arena.

Anyway just thought I'd share my find.

44man
01-27-2016, 01:09 PM
I use plain old STP and can shoot all day. Even chain saw oil will work or RCBS case lube.

bigted
01-28-2016, 05:35 PM
Now that is something I never thought about ... Case lube. Thanks for the hint.

Springfield
02-07-2016, 03:13 PM
As you can see, grease works better than oil. It just holds up better and doesn't blow out with the first shot. Not sure if it matters which one. I use red lithium grease as I use it on my motorcycles also, so it is handy.