PDA

View Full Version : Which Turret Press?

Sam Casey
01-23-2016, 10:03 PM
After a long absence "shotgunning", I have gotten back into metallics. Bought an RCBS Summit and it seems to a nice press, but I miss the speed of my MEC Grabbers and 9000hydros. Think the Summit will be fine for 308 precision loads, but would like to pick up the pace with pistol ammo. LGS just remodeled with very nice indoor range. Thinking Lee Classic Turret or Lyman All American (like the small footprint). Appreciate suggestions.

DerekP Houston
01-23-2016, 10:10 PM
If you don't mind pulling the handle a bunch, the lee classic turret works fine for me. I use it with the auto disk dispenser and can produce 100-200 per hour depending on my mood. Nowhere near a progressive speed but I've had good success with every caliber tried. 30-06 is just a tad too long for it, I take the index rod out and use it as single stage for that.

Ole Joe Clarke
01-23-2016, 10:41 PM
The guys here and over on the Smith & Wesson forum helped me spend my money on a Lee Classic turret. I have been reloading for a long time and still have the Pacific Multi Power single stage "O" type press, and have no plans to get rid of it. Midway seemed to have the best prices, except almost all of the item were back ordered. They are trickling in slowly. I didn't buy a kit since I have 40 years of accessories. I want to load pistol only on the turret, we'll see how it works out.

jmort
01-23-2016, 10:50 PM
Classic Turret great choice. Amazing press for $100

Duckdog
01-23-2016, 10:53 PM
Gotta agree. The Classic Turret gets my vote. I have several presses, but its my favorite. It's just a rock solid press for a fair price.

DerekP Houston
01-23-2016, 11:10 PM
oh just make sure to stash the extra nylon square that comes with it! wore mine out after the 1st 1000 rounds.

gunoil
01-23-2016, 11:34 PM
Get the blue Dillion 550

http://youtu.be/taA8yqKWPxg

http://youtu.be/hBshOFP3RN0

abunaitoo
01-23-2016, 11:52 PM
I use the old Lee Turret I got a long time ago. Three hole.
The classic cast looks really good. haven't tried one.
Friend has a Lyman that I helped him set up.
Good solid press.
I like the looks of the Redding, but it's really expensive.
So far, I'm doing fine with my old three holer, so I'll jus stick with it.

RogerDat
01-24-2016, 12:12 AM
Lee Classic Turret is a really good press. Love the hollow ram primer disposal. Like being able to remove the index rod and use as a single stage. Like the accessories such as pro disk powder dispenser and safety prime (that took awhile to get bracket tweaked into perfect position but since then has been solid performer). In conclusion it is a single stage for 303 or 8mm, turret press for rapid production of pistol ammo. Best of both worlds.

dikman
01-24-2016, 12:28 AM
My first press was a Lee turret (for loading my .44-40). I've since bought a couple of Pro 1000's, but even though the turret requires manual handling of primers and cases, I still like using it. Once setup it's reliable and pretty fool-proof (which is more than I can say for the 1000's).

Bzcraig
01-24-2016, 12:42 AM
Lee Classic Turret

DLCTEX
01-24-2016, 12:43 AM
My Lee Classic Cast turret has loaded multiple thousands of rounds and still has the original square plastic bushing in it.. I love the Safety prime attachment. Lube the square shaft each time you use the press.

dkf
01-24-2016, 01:20 AM
I like my Lee Classis Turret. Load pistol and rifle rounds on it.

z28z34man
01-24-2016, 01:41 AM
Another vote for the classic cast. I have loaded a few thousand rounds on mine without any problems.

DerekP Houston
01-24-2016, 08:40 AM
My Lee Classic Cast turret has loaded multiple thousands of rounds and still has the original square plastic bushing in it.. I love the Safety prime attachment. Lube the square shaft each time you use the press.

My son likes to "help" and work the handle ;). If you don't short stroke or try to reverse directions randomly that little nylon square will last awhile. My machines get abused for now so I keep the breakable parts stocked up. It was still working just fine, but would stop 1/4" out of alignment for the dies, you'd have to tap it forward each time.

Kevinakaq
01-24-2016, 08:42 AM
Lee Classic Turret on my bench.

deepwater
01-24-2016, 09:07 AM
Redding T-7.
$270.00.
Preferred turret press if in direction of "precision" reloading. Very little slop (can not say "zero" slop, but close).
I do NOT own one. I have a Redding Boss II single stage and a Dillon 550B.

deepwater

Kevin Rohrer
01-24-2016, 11:33 AM
My first choice for a turret would be a Dillon 550. My second choice would be a Ponsness-Warren Metallic II, pictured below.

If you want a Lyman AA, I have one I cleaned-up. It comes with the primer feed and some "J" shell holders, but also includes an adapter that allows it to work with RCBS shell holders. And, Yes, the press does have a very small footprint. $125 and shipping, or we can meet-up if you are close to Ohio.

str8wal
01-24-2016, 01:16 PM
I like the Lee turret so much I have two of them. A 3 hole as well as a 4 hole. For the money you really can't go wrong.

tazman
01-24-2016, 01:42 PM
oh just make sure to stash the extra nylon square that comes with it! wore mine out after the 1st 1000 rounds.

It's a good idea to have spares. That said, I found out that you really don't want to lubricate that little nylon square. That softens it and makes it wear out faster. By keeping the square and the index rod clean and dry, it works much better and lasts indefinitely. I have over 5 thousand rounds loaded on my current nylon square and still going strong.

rbuck351
01-24-2016, 07:15 PM
I haven't tried the Lee classic but I really like my Lyman AA.

Duckdog
01-24-2016, 07:18 PM
Sometimes a bit of silicone spray for plastic does help a tad with the operation and does not soften the plastic. I also use a tad of CRC on the turret itself.

I really can not see what else I could ask for in a press.

r1kk1
01-24-2016, 07:25 PM
I really can not see what else I could ask for in a press.

I can and 2 turrets found me. I need to get to Ohio this year and the other will be here next week. That one will handle 1", 1-¼" and 1-1/2" dies for me.

take care

r1kk1

salpal48
01-24-2016, 08:03 PM
I have used Lyman AA all My Life purchased #1 in 1960's . I have a Total of 4. > . all with Push button. Primer system. Never needs repair, parts . alway work. . works first time every Time. . notice all the post about lee's and dillon with problems. never here about lyman AA problems.
Sal

ukrifleman
01-25-2016, 03:07 PM
+1 for the Lee Classic Turret, it's sturdy and a breeze to change calibres.
ukrifleman

Stilly
01-26-2016, 09:10 AM
After a long absence "shotgunning", I have gotten back into metallics. Bought an RCBS Summit and it seems to a nice press, but I miss the speed of my MEC Grabbers and 9000hydros. Think the Summit will be fine for 308 precision loads, but would like to pick up the pace with pistol ammo. LGS just remodeled with very nice indoor range. Thinking Lee Classic Turret or Lyman All American (like the small footprint). Appreciate suggestions.

I have a Lee Classic Turret (the flatter arrow looking base one that costs about $10 more) that I started with back in 2010/2011 and I still enjoy using it to make plenty of ladder loads and .44 mag.

For 9mm I have a Loadmaster but only because it was offered at $150. The Lee classic turret in my opinion is the FASTEST you can go before switching to a progressive. I have not yet seen any faster turret or press.

marlin39a
01-26-2016, 09:55 AM
I went with the Redding T7 10 yrs ago. You'll wear out your bench before this press quits.

jmort
01-26-2016, 10:15 AM
Redding T7 is never a bad choice. Just costs a bundle and the turrets are expensive.

apen
01-26-2016, 01:01 PM
I've been thinking about this press or the pro 1000. How well does the auto disk work for bullseye,231, or 700-x?
I have a Dillon, but changing over to small primer and back is more than I care to do. Buying this press would be cheaper than a full up caliber conversion with a new measure for the Dillon.
Midsouth has a hornady lnl AP press on sale for 389....cheapest I've seen. You get 500 free bullets too. That brings the cost down to 289 when you sell the bullets (they only give you lightweight bullets in a few calibers).

rbuck351
01-26-2016, 05:55 PM
Read up on the Pro 1000 before you buy one. This is probably the most difficult press to get to function like it's supposed to on the planet. I have three that all work well but it took a lot of time,skill and patience to get there. The auto disc powder measure also needs work right out of the box but the fix is easy. It leaks with about any powder until sanding the tops of the discs and you may need to sand the bottoms. That's more difficult because of the alignment pegs.

opos
01-26-2016, 06:13 PM
I got the classic turret Lee and love it...I ordered a little package (think it was 6) of the little square washers off E bay for almost nothing... "in case"...I got a classic cast single stage mounted next to it for my rifle loading...I bought a little 99 cent book light from the 99 cent store (where else) that i wrap around one of the legs on the turret and it shines right on the case mouth and really makes things nice for checking for a double load or squib...I have the new Lee auto drum (not auto disc) powder measure and it really works well...I have shied away from a measure on a press but these were really made for each other..the auto drum is much less bulky than the auto disc and also does not leak fine powders as the auto disc is reported to do..The 2 links are not my videos but give the idea.

https://youtu.be/eN1lQckoD8c

https://youtu.be/FaPoU1mCRW0

r1kk1
01-26-2016, 08:32 PM
I've been thinking about this press or the pro 1000. How well does the auto disk work for bullseye,231, or 700-x?
I have a Dillon, but changing over to small primer and back is more than I care to do. Buying this press would be cheaper than a full up caliber conversion with a new measure for the Dillon.
Midsouth has a hornady lnl AP press on sale for 389....cheapest I've seen. You get 500 free bullets too. That brings the cost down to 289 when you sell the bullets (they only give you lightweight bullets in a few calibers).

You can buy a complete priming assembly and it's a matter of a few seconds to go from small to large or visa versa.

take care

r1kk1

DerekP Houston
01-26-2016, 08:36 PM
hmmm so I didn't know there are 2 versions by lee of the turret press. I would recommend the one with the thru ram primer disposal. Mine makes a huge mess even trying to be careful and clean it regularly.

GT1
01-26-2016, 09:29 PM
LCT hands down. I have loaded thousands of rounds of .223(I treat it just like pistol once case prep is done) and many, many rounds of 9mm and 45 acp on mine. I bought a few of those little index squares($0.50) as everyone said they break, I'm still on the original after 5 years.
There is no other press that rivals it at twice the money.

1bluehorse
01-26-2016, 10:07 PM
The Lee Classic Turret is a pretty good press. It's worth what it costs. The only thing it will do that the other Turret presses don't is auto index. The safety prime (that you pay extra for) works pretty well with a bit of "massaging". The Classic Turret had a bit more "movement" than I like so I sold the one I had. I had a Lyman T-Mag 2 before the Lee and it was a much sturdier unit, not as fast as the LCT but more stable. I've not used an RCBS but a friend has a Redding (that's a beast of a press) I've loaded on and would highly recommend it. I think most buy the LCT for the speed of reloading handgun rounds with the auto index and the low cost. Mostly the cost, and for it's price it's a good value. It's just not up to all the hype it gets IMO.

W.R.Buchanan
01-27-2016, 10:49 PM
Get the blue Dillion 550

http://youtu.be/taA8yqKWPxg

http://youtu.be/hBshOFP3RN0

I agree totally. You will too as soon as you start using it. Arguably the most versatile loader on the market.

Excellent investment as you will get $95+% of what you paid for it back when you decide to sell it. This will not happen with Lee anything. Nothing wrong with Lee stuff, I have plenty of dies and tools and a Hand Press. But none of it is in the same league with Dillon stuff.

You get a lot more for your money.

Randy

dragon813gt
01-28-2016, 12:06 AM
You get a lot more for your money.

Randy
I disagree. I have both the LCT and a 550B. The LCT is by far the best value for the money. You get a lot of press for the money. Turrets are cheap. Swapping them out takes two seconds. No primer tubes to fill. Swapping primer sizes takes two seconds. Through the ram primer disposal. It's downside is that it takes four pulls for one competed round.

I don't buy items thinking of resale value. If the Dillon wasn't the price it was I would have never bought it. Don't get me wrong, it can crank out ammo. But the LCT can easily keep up w/ the quantity I shoot. There is a lot going on at once in the 550B. And a lot of things to break. The Lee is simple in design and the ratchet is the only thing that's going to break. It also takes longer to get everything set up on the 550B.

I use both of these presses all the time and this is my unbiased opinion on them. The Dillon gets used for large runs of pistol ammo. The LCT is used for everything else except large rifle rounds. It can handle them. I just prefer to load them single stage.

RogerDat
01-28-2016, 12:59 AM
hmmm so I didn't know there are 2 versions by lee of the turret press. I would recommend the one with the thru ram primer disposal. Mine makes a huge mess even trying to be careful and clean it regularly.

One has a lower cast iron base and one has a taller base that I think is cast aluminum. The lower cast iron base has the hollow ram with through the ram primer disposal, goes into a plastic tube that you can leave capped or open to dump into a bucket. Ironic bit of naming I believe the "classic cast" turret is the later model press.

Mine spends about 1/3 of its time with the index rod out so I'm just taking advantage of the dies being pre adjusted in the turret plate and the rapid transition from one step in reloading to the next. The other 2/3 of the time it is rapidly cranking out pistol ammo with the index rod in. Between the safety prime and the pro auto disk things hum along at a pretty good clip.

r1kk1
01-28-2016, 11:04 PM
There is a lot going on at once in the 550B. And a lot of things to break. The Lee is simple in design and the ratchet is the only thing that's going to break. It also takes longer to get everything set up on the 550B.

I have no idea what a person could break on a 550. I've loaded into the six figure range with it and it started life as a 450 then became a 550. In that time, I took possession of a new powder measure and the body was cracked. One call and a new one on the way. It is the easiest progressive to strip down once a year and do a major cleaning then reassemble. I've used it as a turret press or as a progressive. This alone is the reason I have had no reason to buy a turret. Once a month now since my wife and I are travel nurses, we head home and pump out ammo. We start with what the press was setup for last and load all small primer stuff first then large second for example. I have two complete primer assemblies on had so change out is less than a minute. I will sometimes switch just buttons and use the same shellplate for another cartridge. Eventually, the shellplate is switched out for another cartridge. Of course tool heads are swapped for every cartridge. For rifle we don't use a Dillon measure but use a JDS QM. Now swapping is very fast. Since owning a 550 I've never needed a turret press. Now it's calling out my name.

Turret Presses
Now I have a collection of different sizes of dies such as 1-1/2", 1-1/4", 1", 7/8" and 5/8" dies and I'm currently waiting on a cast steel turret press that will work for me and handle all of the above die sizes. It will be delivered Monday. It is NOT a currently manufactured press but one that was built with craftsmanship of America's past. I'm very excited to come to get one now and another later this year. I have four different single stage presses, and one or another goes with me to do quite a bit of case forming on and loading while on the road in the RV. Now the turret will go on the road with me. The single stage press will go home with the others.

I do agree that every press out there is NOT for everyone. I have some fine single stage presses but my favorite is a monster cast steel press that is currently manufactured. The other three are cast iron and I have a Lee hand press that lives in my hunting bag. I like mine as I'm sure you like yours.

take care

r1kk1

Quatroclick
01-28-2016, 11:30 PM
I have a Classic Turret and an RL550, and a few single stage presses. The Classic Turret is by far and away the best bang for the buck. If I am going to load over 50 rounds of ammo at a time regularly, I will consider spending the money to set up the Dillon. Otherwise, I use the Lee. I rarely use my RCBS Rock Chucker any more. The Lee works great as a single stage, and it's spent primer tube is a much better mousetrap than the Rock Chucker's primer catch system. Honestly, if the Lee was twice the money, it might still be the best bang for the buck.

toolz568
01-29-2016, 10:40 AM
I went back and forth between Dillion and Hornady. Ended up buying a Hornady AP Progressive. It is a great press but finicky, the primer feed doesn't always feed. If I had to do it all over again I would get the Dillion 550 or 650.

DerekP Houston
01-29-2016, 10:44 AM
I went back and forth between Dillion and Hornady. Ended up buying a Hornady AP Progressive. It is a great press but finicky, the primer feed doesn't always feed. If I had to do it all over again I would get the Dillion 550 or 650.

I will be saving my pennies for a dillon eventually. Until I join a shooting club the lee turret keeps up with my needs for now.

W.R.Buchanan
01-30-2016, 10:11 PM
Everybody has their own opinions on this subject, and it's interesting to hear them all.

The great thing about Reloading Equipment is that there's an **** for every Seat. Everybody can find something they like.

I personally am into "Tactile Gratification." That's all about enjoying the feel of the tool as you use it.

Reloading Presses tend to be a lot like Turret Lathes IE: they are Rotary Transfer Machines with levers that operate them. As such, there are definitely lathes that are more of a pleasure to stand in front of, and pull handles all day on, than others. I have done a lot of both and I can tell you that for me if the machine doesn't index smoothly or the handle isn't in the right place or the knob is too small or it doesn't do what it's supposed to and have to adjust it frequently, or it just doesn't feel good,,, I want nothing to do with it.

I have ran enough junk for one life time and tend to be willing to spend a little more to get the good feel. I bought a new VW Passat Diesel two years ago and a new Touareg Diesel this last year because I was tired of driving old cars. The cars I replaced were my wife's 95 MBZ 420E and my 83 300SD which was without a doubt the most reliable car I have ever owned. Both of these cars were older and had many miles on them and still had a good feel to them, but the new ones are so much better.

I kind of miss my 300SD but the new car is faster, gets better fuel mileage, is more comfortable and has Sirius XM radio so I can listen to Fox News any time I want! It delivers a higher level of Tactile Gratification than the old MBZ did.

That's my .02

Randy

Biggs300
01-31-2016, 09:41 PM
My brother has a Dillon 550. It is a great press (I sometimes wish I had room for one). He really likes the speed and operation of the press until he has to change the setup for different calibers. After watching the process, I think I'll stick with my Lee Classic Turret for my main reloading jobs and my Lee Classic Single Stage press for load development or, when speed just isn't important but, precision is. For my Turret press, I have 9 turrets which makes switching calibers really easy. I'm also still playing with my new Auto Drum Powder Measure but, I'm still really fond of the Lee Classic measure and even more so with my GemPro 250.

r1kk1
01-31-2016, 10:59 PM
I understand what your saying Randy. I have a cast steel single stage press that is the most ergonomic (before it was an industry buzz word) feel of any single stage I own. I swear the frame of the press was meant for my off hand to hang onto when forming brass. The least ergonomic feel of a press has to be my COAX. I stand a little off to the side when operating it. I still really like the press despite this.

I will be posting pics on a 8 station turret I just received tonight. Very massive and fit as well as finish is from a time long ago. It will never be duplicated from current manufacturers. The handle is 21" long solid steel. The press is cast steel. I even got the 50 BMG shellholder and priming stem. 8 holes are for standard BMG dies and I bought a couple top press bushings to go from 1-½" to 1-¼" dies for Lee's 50 BMG dies and other bushings to go down to 1", ⅞" and ⅝" dies. The standard ⅞" and the old ⅝" dies will ride in LNL bushings. The press came with a swage bar too.

Shipping weight of the press was 54 lbs! I worked the handle on this fine press. It is so effortless. Now to make a template for Dan at Inline Fabrication for a quick change plate. I can't wait to form some brass on this monster!

Since I've had the 550 I never thought much of turret presses. Ive been waiting for Hornady to make a LNL version of one. I never thought I would find one that took standard BMG dies much less be adaptable to smaller die body sizes! Sure the 550 cranks a round out with a pull of the handle and it's the easiest progressive press out there to swap caliber's on and I love it, but the workmanship of this turret will travel with me in the RV.

Randy I understand your post, especially tonight.

take care

r1kk1

slohunter
01-31-2016, 11:17 PM
Bought my Lee 3 hole Turret in 1984 for $35.00, never saw a need to "upgrade".

balin
02-01-2016, 06:05 PM
I have a Dillon for larger volumes, but was thinking of getting a turrent for smaller quantity runs. Could the turrent press be used as a single stage if necessary?

r1kk1
02-01-2016, 06:45 PM
I have a Dillon for larger volumes, but was thinking of getting a turrent for smaller quantity runs. Could the turrent press be used as a single stage if necessary?

Yes and so can Dillon.

r1kk1

dragon813gt
02-01-2016, 06:48 PM
Could the turrent press be used as a single stage if necessary?
They are all single stage. The Lee is the only one w/ an auto index feature. Takes a few seconds to remove the operating rod so it won't auto index.

Quatroclick
02-01-2016, 11:13 PM

Exactly my setup. Highly recommended. The classic turret is an excellent single stage.

Schrag4
02-01-2016, 11:45 PM
My first and only press so far is a Lee Classic Turret. I don't shoot enough to need anything more :-(

I do like it. I've probably loaded close to 10k rounds so far between 9mm and 40 S&W and it's still working great.

Perhaps some day when the kids leave the nest I'll shoot enough to need a progressive, who knows. That's a long time from now.

inspector_17
02-02-2016, 01:44 PM
Own the LCT, handles all my needs with no problems.

balin
02-02-2016, 03:49 PM
I should have said I going to get into some larger calibers I have a .480 on order and was probably going to expand into others . So I wanted something to load the 50-100 rounds at a time with along with a larger quantities without having to take down my Dillon. Which I like to leave set till I run off enough of each caliber till I have enough ammo to shoot 6-12 months worth. Then I change it to the next caliber. So a turret press seemed to fit the bill.

Taylor
02-02-2016, 04:01 PM
What I want is a Redding T7,$$$$$.I would like to have also, is a Lyman All American.

Ole Joe Clarke
02-03-2016, 08:40 AM
Finally received the Lee Classic Turret yesterday about 7:30 pm. I only live about 2.5 miles from the local UPS staging area, but you would think it was a hundred miles. :-)
I already had my mounting plate ready, so it wasn't long before I had it on the table. Tried to set up the 40 cal die set, but couldn't get the die to bell mouth the case properly. I realized this morning why, I have a cobbled together set, and I found a Lee 10mm die to flare and drop the powder, but the case is to long and the die won't adjust down to the 40 S&W length. A minor bump in the road.

Have a blessed day,

Leon

r1kk1
02-03-2016, 10:09 PM
Well my turret press arrived Monday. I will do a write and photos when I have a chance this weekend. Shipping weight was 54 pounds of pure cast steel!

Take care

r1kk1

Sam Casey
02-04-2016, 12:39 AM
been looking around at Dillon prices. Seems that Scheels has best price on 550b @ 390 PPD. Thought someone said you could not beat price direct from Dillon?

r1kk1
02-04-2016, 12:46 AM
Brian Enos. He has pretty good prices.

Take care

r1kk1

HangFireW8
02-04-2016, 06:08 PM

A half a dozen times I've asked Lee turret owners to show me how their press worked. EVERY SINGLE TIME they give it a throw and then tell me that part just blew out, but it was just working a moment before. The last time was a demo at Bass Pro Shop and the other attendees agreed it had just been working.

I have a lot of Lee stuff I like, and other brands too, but that nylon square bushing thingie has kept me from trying the Turret.

Ole Joe Clarke
02-04-2016, 06:15 PM
I did not get a spare "square thingy" with the one I just received from Titan. I did find that the indexing rod needed adjusting before it would index correctly, but that was noted in the instructions. I lubed the indexing rod with graphite today and it seemed to smooth out some. Most, if not all, my problems were operator error. It ran good on a few .357's I loaded.

Lefty Red
02-07-2016, 12:19 PM
I think the Lee Classic Turret Press is among the best buys. I owned them up until last year. IMHO, I felt like I made better ammo on my Classic Cast Press, which is a single stage.

A lot of people stated they used the CTP for small batches (100-150) of ammo, instead of firing up a progressive. That makes sense and I do as well. But I find the CTP has just enough play in the head that it effected the overall quality and consistency of my ammo especially the ones with longer cases. The movement of the head made bullet seating iffy and ruined a lot of brass. And I felt like I was always resetting the dies everytime I was using them. The best ammo I make in a CTP was 38 special length or shorter. I felt I made the best ammo with the indexing rod out and manually indexing and then applying pressure to keep the play in the turret head down.

I have since went back to batch loading on my Classic Cast, which is a single stage press. But I removed the standard brushing on top and replaced it with a Hornady LNL brushing for quick changes in dies. I make much better ammo now.

The T-7 is 2.25x the price of the Lee CTP. But it has no play on the head. It's dies are locked in and will make extremely consistent ammo at a quicker pace than the way I'm doing it. But way slower than a manually indexed progressive. Could I love with the non quick change system for the seven stations!

But also, the Lyman and RCBS turrets are not bad, but they do have some flex on longer cases.

It's all personal. I will get a T-7 sometime this year. Have the one turret head set up for loading my Lee RF310 bullet in my single shots and the other side set up for my 44 Special RCBS Keith Style Bullet loads.

Lefty

Klaus
02-15-2016, 10:33 AM
i vote for the Lee Turret 4 Hole
if you know how to handle this press it was the leader.. not at least by the current price....
i load from .38 spl up to 45-70 Gov. BPCR
quick, easy to change from one to another caliber
lee`s saftey prime also a good tool
by the way a question pls.... i was a bit undecided about the Lee Auto Powder Dispenser ... actually i use a Dillion Powder Measure for 44 Win. a Lyman 55 for .38 Spec and .45 ACP also for 6,5x55 and 8x57 IS and the Lee Perfect Dispenser for the BPCR.
what are your experiences with the Lee Auto?

Klaus from Germany

skeet1
02-15-2016, 10:42 AM
Lee Classic Turret, nothing else comes close in my opinion.

Ken

OS OK
02-15-2016, 12:41 PM
I am amazed at the loyalty shown here to the LCT and other Lee presses.
My loading pard comes here to shoot and work up loads frequently…he uses either my Lyman II or the LNL and always complains about all the 'home fixes' that he has had to do over the years to his Lee. Although he has it running well now he says that it doesn't compare to pulling the handle on a well made press of iron. He also mentioned all the rounds he has had to disassemble over the years too, that aspect is not mentioned here either.

Is this loyalty just stubborn men that will hold their breath and turn purple before they will admit…'cheap ain't always the best choice?'

dragon813gt
02-15-2016, 02:42 PM
Is this loyalty just stubborn men that will hold their breath and turn purple before they will admit…'cheap ain't always the best choice?'
In my case, absolutely not. I don't have time for tools that don't work. Which is why I sold all my Lee molds. I'm guessing your buddy is using on of the Lee progressives. The only progressive I own is a Dillon. I'm sure I could get one of the Lees to work. But I'd rather not tinker. There is no tinkering w/ the LCT. Set your dies and you are off making ammo. It's that simple.

Static line
02-15-2016, 03:13 PM
I started reloading back in the early 70's with an RCBS Rock Chucker single stage press. I moved to a Dillon 650 for my 45 acp's and cowboy action 38 spls. I had a Lyman turret press but sold it to a friend who didn't mind that it was sloppy.I then bought a Redding T-7 and love it because of it's strong sturdy nature. I have several heads for it with dies already set to load.However,I have to say that it was so much a pain in the butt trying to chase and find the little detent ball bearing on the floor everytime I moved wrong changing the heads that I went back to the old Rock Chucker.I even coat the little ball bearing with a heavy grease to try and help it stay seated on the small spring that it lays on and even made a box that fits around the press to capture the falling steal bearing but it always seems to find a way out.It takes less time to just adjust each die in the single stage and batch load.

OS OK
02-15-2016, 03:46 PM
I started reloading back in the early 70's with an RCBS Rock Chucker single stage press. I moved to a Dillon 650 for my 45 acp's and cowboy action 38 spls. I had a Lyman turret press but sold it to a friend who didn't mind that it was sloppy.I then bought a Redding T-7 and love it because of it's strong sturdy nature. I have several heads for it with dies already set to load.However,I have to say that it was so much a pain in the butt trying to chase and find the little detent ball bearing on the floor everytime I moved wrong changing the heads that I went back to the old Rock Chucker.I even coat the little ball bearing with a heavy grease to try and help it stay seated on the small spring that it lays on and even made a box that fits around the press to capture the falling steal bearing but it always seems to find a way out.It takes less time to just adjust each die in the single stage and batch load.

First I ever heard this complaint…have you tried to remove the turret when it is half way between indents so that the indents cupped surface is not stuck to that bearing and trying to remove it with the turret top? I hate to see you unsatisfied with that 'tank'…I mean turret.

Static line
02-15-2016, 04:19 PM
First I ever heard this complaint…have you tried to remove the turret when it is half way between indents so that the indents cupped surface is not stuck to that bearing and trying to remove it with the turret top? I hate to see you unsatisfied with that 'tank'…I mean turret.

Would it really be something as simple as what you suggest ? I might have to try that because truthfully,I never have. I probably should have added that I no longer have the steady hand so any shakes that I have show up in my crawling around on my hands and knees looking for the darn thing.I have been meaning to call Redding about it and they will probably just throw a few extra bearings in an envelope and send them to me free of charge.

OS OK
02-15-2016, 04:30 PM
Would it really be something as simple as what you suggest ? I might have to try that because truthfully,I never have. I probably should have added that I no longer have the steady hand so any shakes that I have show up in my crawling around on my hands and knees looking for the darn thing.I have been meaning to call Redding about it and they will probably just throw a few extra bearings in an envelope and send them to me free of charge.

That surprised me because the bearing and spring on my Lyman are built into the turret head and crimped so that the bearing can't escape. Could be that yours was the same at some point.

noisewaterphd
02-15-2016, 04:49 PM
My loading pard comes here to shoot and work up loads frequently…he uses either my Lyman II or the LNL and always complains about all the 'home fixes' that he has had to do over the years to his Lee. Although he has it running well now he says that it doesn't compare to pulling the handle on a well made press of iron.

There is more than one model of Lee Turret. The "Lee Classic Turret" is a "well made press of iron".

I think Lee do themselves a disservice by offering their cheaper presses. All it seems to do is get people talking trash about Lee presses. The Lee Classic Cast series (single stage and turret) are among the best presses you can buy. And not "for the money", but just straight up the best presses.

I think that RCBS, Redding, and Lyman also make a great turret press. My personal choice out of all of them would be the Lee first, Redding second, RCBS and Lyman a toss up for third. I think they are all quality presses, so my choices are not based on that, my choice is based on how I would use the press.

Dan Cash
02-15-2016, 04:58 PM
Redding T7. I got it after many years and will always wonder why it took me so long.

Static line
02-15-2016, 05:02 PM
That surprised me because the bearing and spring on my Lyman are built into the turret head and crimped so that the bearing can't escape. Could be that yours was the same at some point.
Nope,it has always been that way on mine.It's just a small spring,maybe a 1/4 inch in dia, that sits down in a hole in the press with the escape artist resting on top of it. You have to be really very careful when changing heads.You have to lift it straight up without shaking and bumping the steel bearing from it's perch.Sorta like disarming a bomb.

OS OK
02-15-2016, 07:29 PM
Nope,it has always been that way on mine.It's just a small spring,maybe a 1/4 inch in dia, that sits down in a hole in the press with the escape artist resting on top of it. You have to be really very careful when changing heads.You have to lift it straight up without shaking and bumping the steel bearing from it's perch.Sorta like disarming a bomb.

Static line
02-15-2016, 08:15 PM

Man you just got to love good old American ideas. You better believe I'll remove the head and check it out.It is just possible by peening the edges, might trap it for me. After being a fitter/welder for 18 years,you would have thought that I would have thought of that.Sometime things are just to easy.Thank you.

OS OK
02-15-2016, 08:25 PM
Hey Static Line
The direction I show that chisel may not be the best angle…maybe peining inward with the heel of the chisel would move more metal in the right direction…You would have come up with the fix yourself…you just had not gotten through with your 'frustration' and were not in your 'fix-it' mode yet.
If any metal 'spurs' kick up to interfere with the turret spinning…a 'flat bastard' will take care of them.

Your welcome Buddy…OS OK

doghawg
02-15-2016, 08:34 PM
Redding T-7 with 2 extra turrets for me and also have had an RCBS Rock Chucker for 40 years and I'll never live long enough to wear it out.

dkf
02-15-2016, 11:20 PM
My loading pard comes here to shoot and work up loads frequently…he uses either my Lyman II or the LNL and always complains about all the 'home fixes' that he has had to do over the years to his Lee. Although he has it running well now he says that it doesn't compare to pulling the handle on a well made press of iron. He also mentioned all the rounds he has had to disassemble over the years too, that aspect is not mentioned here either.

The LCT is a cast iron press and it is made pretty well. Yeah the turret itself is aluminum and the 3 riser bars are steel but the base is cast iron. When I first got my LCT it did drop a lot of primers until I aligned the safety prime by rotating the mount and putting a washer under the mount. I also polished the index rod up nicely so it would be smoother. Other than that no issues, still on the first plastic index square. It loads good ammo, is versatile and caliber changeovers are quick and inexpensive. My Classic Cast single stage also works well. I know the Lee progressives have a lot of issues but I never bought any of those.

toallmy
02-16-2016, 04:20 PM
Gentlemen I have had a lee 3 hole press for over 30 years , and just realized it could be converted to auto indexing . I looked at midway and they have a auto index upgrade shaft and a 4 hole conversion . Well wouldn't that be something to turn my old press , that I have loaded single stage on all my life into a auto indexing press. I bet the little darling wishes she never showed me a computer now $$$$$$.

MT Chambers
02-16-2016, 07:12 PM
I'd go with the Co-ax, much more precise and faster die change out, without needing any turrets.

Baltimoreed
02-18-2016, 10:05 AM
I have 2 Lyman T2 turret presses and a Dillon 550B along with a couple older O presses set up. My Dillon is always set up for .45acp, one Lyman is .45 lc and the other is whatever I'm doing then. I've gotten good service from my Lymans and would recommend over the Lee. I've had too many Lee hand priming tools break and the collet expander stem they use is a pain. With my mods my Lymans run as fast as my Dillon. And you can use a turret press as a single stage or a true turret. I will say that you do have to tinker with the Lyman primer system but mainly just chamfer the sharp corners and remove any burrs from machining to stop anything from sticking.

r1kk1
02-18-2016, 11:16 AM
With my mods my Lymans run as fast as my Dillon.

Not buying this.

After I load the shellplate up - 1 pull of the handle = 1 round. On my turret (non Lee, Lyman, Redding, RCBS) 3-4 pulls of the handle = 1 round.

I really love my turret press as its my main press in the RV while on the road but when we get home once a month, we crank out ammo on the 550.

Take care

r1kk1

dudel
02-18-2016, 12:00 PM
With my mods my Lymans run as fast as my Dillon. And you can use a turret press as a single stage or a true turret.

Then is it a safe bet that your Dillons are for sale?:kidding:

Let's just say I find it hard to believe that rotating a T2 turret is as fast as rotating the shell plate on a 550b. Especially over an extended reloading session. Even more so if you have a powder dump on the turret.

The 550b is basically a turret, you're just manually rotating the case instead of the tool head. You can also use a 550b as a single stage. I did last night when I used it for charging 300BO cases, then seating an crimping on the Rockchucker. Could have done it all on the 550b; but I didn't want to take down one of the dedicated tool heads. Just used an existing tool head and put the powder die insert for 300BO in the powder die. Need to order me a few more extra tool heads. Going to need one for 30-30. (for some reason, I always seem to get the tools before the gun! Anyone else do that?)

Let's just say I'm dubious.

r1kk1
02-18-2016, 01:49 PM
(for some reason, I always seem to get the tools before the gun! Anyone else do that?)

Last October I won three die sets for barrels I don't own. . . Yet! I'm having a barrel for my Encore pistol made in 9.3x405 Winchester right now.

yeah, me too

r1kk1

OS OK
02-18-2016, 01:54 PM
Then is it a safe bet that your Dillons are for sale?:kidding:

Let's just say I find it hard to believe that rotating a T2 turret is as fast as rotating the shell plate on a 550b. Especially over an extended reloading session. Even more so if you have a powder dump on the turret.

The 550b is basically a turret, you're just manually rotating the case instead of the tool head. You can also use a 550b as a single stage. I did last night when I used it for charging 300BO cases, then seating an crimping on the Rockchucker. Could have done it all on the 550b; but I didn't want to take down one of the dedicated tool heads. Just used an existing tool head and put the powder die insert for 300BO in the powder die. Need to order me a few more extra tool heads. Going to need one for 30-30. (for some reason, I always seem to get the tools before the gun! Anyone else do that?)
Let's just say I'm dubious.

How simple is it to adjust or remove dies on that 'smallish' sized press top…as compared to say…a LNL?
?> Need any specialty tools?
?> How does it work using someone elses dies? Operational clearance with the powder dispenser and taller non-Blue dies?
?> Is it expensive to have multiple tool heads?
?> Is it a quick and easy thing when you pull a case to check the powder on a scale? Do large hands have any trouble manipulating things within the press frame?

Let's just say I'm qurious?

dudel
02-18-2016, 02:08 PM
How simple is it to adjust or remove dies on that 'smallish' sized press top…as compared to say…a LNL?
?> How does it work using someone elses dies? Operational clearance with the powder dispenser and taller non-Blue dies?
?> Is it a quick and easy thing when you pull a case to check the powder on a scale? Do large hands have any trouble manipulating things within the press frame?

OS

1) No specialty tools are needed; but on a 550b, the Dillon 1" lock nuts provide a lot more room in the tool head. The tool head itself goes into a channel in the frame and is held by to pins (push in/pull out)

2) I've used Dillon, Lyman, Hornady and RCBS dies without ANY issues. I also have a few Lee dies (45GAP) that I had to put the lock nut under the tool head because I had to run the Lee die almost to the limits of their thread. Lee seems to have less threaded portion on their dies than others. But yes, the Lee dies did work.

3) The 550b tool heads are $22.95 if you buy them singly, or $20.95 if you buy 3 or more. https://www.dillonprecision.com/#/content/p/9/pid/23605/catid/3/RL_550_Toolhead They also have some fancy color anodized ones; but I just put a Brother label on mine. I find it handy and have tool heads (minus the powder dispenser) set up for my most loaded calibers. Considering the Lee Quick Change bushings are either $9/2 or $13/2, the tool head doesn't seem out of line.

4) Large hands could be an issue on a Square Deal B (that press is very tight). Not a big problem on the 550. Pull a pin at the bottom of the case and slide the round out. Pins are caliber specific; but some pins can be used on multiple calibers (#3 pin is used for 9mm, 223 and 300BO plus more) Not as easy as the spring around the LNL shell plate; but a bit more secure.

Hope that helps.

r1kk1
02-18-2016, 02:14 PM

I pull two pins and disconnect the powder linkage to remove the toolhead. No specialty tools. Works with everyone's dies but Lee you need the lock ring on the bottom of the toolhead. Toolheads are around 25.00 a shot. Station two is the powder drop and it's under my left eye. Frame opening is large. On the toolhead I can use two of my favorite lock rings and two 1" lock rings. I load from .17 cal to 50 caliber nonBMG stuff on mine.

Take care

r1kk1

OS OK
02-18-2016, 02:20 PM
Thanks Fellas…I've been pondering setting up a .45ACP exclusive press for a while. While I do enjoy the LNL for its ease with my large paws…I've been thinking Blue!??!

MakeMineLead
02-18-2016, 02:30 PM
The LCT is a cast iron press and it is made pretty well. Yeah the turret itself is aluminum and the 3 riser bars are steel but the base is cast iron. When I first got my LCT it did drop a lot of primers until I aligned the safety prime by rotating the mount and putting a washer under the mount. I also polished the index rod up nicely so it would be smoother. Other than that no issues, still on the first plastic index square. It loads good ammo, is versatile and caliber changeovers are quick and inexpensive. My Classic Cast single stage also works well.

I too had to put a washer under the safety prime and aligned it. That was...10 years ago?

I too am on the original, square washer. I found a good paste wax on the turret sides (I use sno seal boot waterproofing) make it glide easier. The index rod can also be waxed.

Static line
02-18-2016, 07:20 PM
It's been so long since I've used my Dillon 650,I forget how to use it.:-(
No really,I used to shoot my 1911's alot and then I got into SASS so I have two heads set up for 45 acp and 38 spls.,both of which I am thousands of rounds a head of the game.I don't shoot in SASS no more and I hate picking up 45 acp cases off the ground.Darn belly keeps getting in the way.So most of my reloading sees the T-7 or the Rockchucker for everything else.That 650 sure is fast though but God forbid when bad things start to happen and powder goes everywhere because the primer system goes out of whack,then it's a mess.
Nice idea on the bullet trap by the way.I'll be lookin into that.

rbstern
02-18-2016, 11:59 PM

Many of us who have experience with a variety of Lee's product understand that the cost savings on some of their products come with drawbacks and require extra effort to use successfully.

IIRC, the Lee Classic Turret was the first product that came out when John Lee, Richard's son, had fully taken over the day-to-day running of Lee Precision. The product demonstrates a philosophical departure from earlier designs. The LCT upped Lee's game dramatically in quality. It's a heavily built, well machined product, and it works accordingly. Perfect? No. But it's of a quality that allows it to compete favorably with many of the better machines on the market.

That's why it's got such a huge following. Same with their Classic Cast single stage press.

GONRA
02-19-2016, 06:31 PM
OS OK - you will be happy with a Dillon 650 Progressive Press.
GONRA's is used (sofar) only for - 9mm (HS-6) SMG ammo and .45 ACP (WW-231) pistol ammo.
Verks Just Fine....

(800X powder for .45 ACP Thompson SMG's requires special weighing intervention.
Not everyone will be willing to put up with this complexity in the Dillon 650...)

(Remember - if you have to load OVER THE POWDER MANUAL charges
for subsonic suppressed Vector UZI's,
its single stage presstyme - WEIGH EVERY POWDER CHARGE.)