PDA

View Full Version : RCBS Chargemaster....

TXGunNut
01-23-2016, 09:25 PM
bites the dust. Kinda bummed out about it since it's only 6-7 yrs old. Warranty is only one year. Scale still working, just need a new dispenser. Have one in my cart at Midway but I need to call them Monday to ask about the birthday discount I used to get.:coffeecom Decided this was a good opportunity to use my old 5-10 scale, worked just fine. I know, I could have simply used the RCBS digital scale but what's the fun in that? Got a few rounds loaded for my old Savage so it's a good day.
Anyone else have a ChargeMaster die an early death?

35 shooter
01-24-2016, 02:36 AM
This is the only item i'm aware of that rcbs only has the 1 year warranty on, and yes, i've heard of several units going out.

Spector
01-24-2016, 03:35 AM
Yep mine only lasted about 2 weeks. I was dispensing charges and had to leave the house for about 20 minutes. I left it turned on. When I returned it would no longer dispense. That was maybe 5 years ago and I still haven't sent it back. I think they told me they'd rebuild it for $45 at the time. I had owned it for a couple of years before I took it out of the box and set it up. I guess I should get on that and send it back. grin............Mike

TXGunNut
01-24-2016, 07:58 PM
Guess I better call and check into the rebuild option, hadn't heard about that. I left this one plugged in all the time, seem to recall someone suggesting that. It has a sleep/standby mode. Thanks for the tip, have a Pro-Melt that needs refurbishing as well. Sent them an e-mail inquiry.

AbitNutz
01-25-2016, 07:09 PM
Man...don't tell me this thing can die. I'm not sure I know how to work anything else.

FWest
01-25-2016, 07:53 PM
Man...don't tell me this thing can die. I'm not sure I know how to work anything else.

If you got it from Brownells you have a 100% guarantee

TXGunNut
01-25-2016, 11:07 PM

Understood, definitely a sweet machine. Very addictive. I still laugh when I think about getting out the 30+yr old 5-10 instead of using the still-functioning scale component. Guess I was just rewarding my inner packrat, lol.

Lloyd Smale
01-27-2016, 08:53 AM
box it up in its original box and send it back to rcbs without asking first. Id bet a dime to a dollar that it comes back fixed or replaced. If you ask first there probably going to tell you no but once its there they have to send it back anyway and probably figure there reputation is worth taking care of it. I did that with my rcbs power case trimmer that was 15 years old and was even honest about its age and got it back with everything replaced but the frame. Basicaly a brand new unit.

cheese1566
01-27-2016, 10:22 AM
They are good. My 1985 pre owned Rockchucker 2 had a hairline crack on the front pillar halfway between the primer arm mounts and the top. No idea how it got there since I don't do anything heavy duty. I emailed and was told to box it up. Apparently they no longer have this casting anymore, so a brand new Supreme showed up at my door.
Sweet!

TXGunNut
01-27-2016, 11:11 PM
I e-mailed them Sunday and again yesterday when I didn't hear from them. Used my little pocket Hornady electronic scale and my trusty UniFlow measure tonight to load a few.

dragon813gt
01-27-2016, 11:53 PM
They have taken a long time to get back to me when I contacted them through email. It took awhile for someone to call me back when I called them. It took even longer for them to ship the parts to me once I talked to someone. Don't get me wrong, I received the parts. But I have not been impressed w/ their warranty service. Waiting upwards of three weeks to receive parts is to long IMO. I wish you luck in getting this taken care of.

FLHTC
01-28-2016, 11:47 AM
Electronics are sketchy at best, especially the delicate ones. I believe a one year warranty is common in any industry. I'd be lost without my Lyman Gen5.

hicard
01-28-2016, 01:28 PM
I am having trouble with mine using fine powders such as H110 or AA1680. It seems to clog up and slow to a stop before dispensing the desired amount. I often have to twist the spout with my fingers to get it going again and then it either stops again or overfills. I was at RCBS yesterday and inquired about the problem and they told me that it is a known common problem. Didn't offer any advice, other to not use those powders in it. I asked if it would be ok for me to open it up and clean it on the inside. He asked if it was over 1 year old and under warranty. I said no and he said then it would be ok for me to open and clean it myself.

silverjay
01-29-2016, 01:18 AM
I had buttons stop working and the dispenser quit. I took is apart and wiped the case down with a dryer sheet. Works good again.

CraigOK
01-29-2016, 07:47 AM
Is this common? Ive been eyeballing these for a few years but the price is steep if it's going to fail so soon.

dragon813gt
01-29-2016, 09:20 AM
Mine is a few years old and is still working correctly. It's also kept in an unconditioned garage. The Chargemaster is made in China. And like all electronics now a days it can be hit or miss when it comes to quality. This is being typed out on a Chinese made iPhone :laugh:

FWest
01-29-2016, 08:25 PM
I just received my Chargemaster today. Let it warm up for half an hour and calibrated it, checked the scale with Lyman check weights-perfect.
Put about 1/2 pound of BLC2 in the hopper and proceed to drop 25 spot on charges of 44 grains. Dumped that out noticing some static on the clear hopper. Removed it and wiped out a used dryer sheet-OK. Then tried some RL-15, again dropped 25 charges with 3 being a single tenth over.
Tomorrow I will see how it does with some different stick type powder and load some 308.

I was using a rcbs electric scale before and never had an issue , I can see this chargemaster getting a lot of use although the beeping may get shut off . Also noticed the smell of the box reminded me of harbor freight.

dragon813gt
01-29-2016, 09:40 PM
I turned off the beep and the auto dispense function. It may not be as convenient but it only throws powder when I want it to.

Motor
01-30-2016, 06:25 PM
I don't even bother using fine granule powder in mine. That's what the Uniflow is for.

Anytime I load anything the Chargemaster/scale AND the 5-10 are uncovered. I always check one to the other. I actually trust the 5-10 more but .............

For stick powder the CM is awesome beats the heck out of the old hand trickler.

For the CM, do the McDonald's straw mod. It reduces the amount of times it overcharges greatly.

Motor

Treetop
01-30-2016, 06:47 PM
I left this one plugged in all the time, seem to recall someone suggesting that.

TxGunNut, my RCBS Chargemaster is also about 6-7 years old. I may be mistaken, but I'm pretty sure my instructions plainly stated to unplug it after each use. We are in the process of moving right now so all of my reloading equipment and paperwork are packed up or I would have confirmed that before posting.

Last year I sent my 1980(1)? RCBS casting pot in because the element burned out. Exactly 2 weeks later it came back to me with a new element, thermostat, inner pot and spout valve, basically everything new but the frame. No charge, they even sent it back to me on their dime!

Before I bought a new unit, I would go that route... Hope this helps and BTW, I sure enjoy reading all of your posts! Treetop.

TXGunNut
01-30-2016, 11:41 PM
I've been exchanging e-mails with someone @ RCBS, apparently he thought it was a powder issue. I finally figured out where he was going and told him powder had nothing to do with it. My machine worked great with any powder I wanted to use in it but I generally use stick. They've offered to fix it for $89 or thereabouts sounds fair. With my Midway birthday discount I can get a replacement unit for about twice that. May do that as well for a short-term fix, keep the repaired unit for backup.

winelover
01-31-2016, 09:23 AM
Love my Chargemaster! Survived a move from Michigan. I always unplug, after using. Never any problems with the unit.....at least 10 years old or more. Dispenses any powder with accuracy, which I always check against a beam scale. I don't use it for low charges of Bullseye, because it will not kick into high gear. My Uniflow or Hollywoods are set for those Bullseye loads, of less than 5 grains.

Winelover

TXGunNut
01-31-2016, 10:09 PM
I don't use mine for pistol loads or light rifle loads using Unique or 2400, I'll use a Uniflow or Dillon for those occasions. I use Lee scoops for BP pistols. I'll never forget the first time I used my ChargeMaster, it was truly a wonderful thing. Hope to get it back online soon.

dragon813gt
01-31-2016, 10:56 PM
I use mine predominantly w/ H110. It leaks horribly in every other measure I have. Definitely slower but when loading w/ a LCT the charge is in the pan by the time the next case is ready to be charged. I honestly don't ever want to go back to trickling powder on a beam scale. I will use dippers before I go that route again :laugh:

TXGunNut
02-02-2016, 11:52 PM
Bottom line, warranty period was over long ago and they don't repair these machines. I have a replacement coming from Midway, they had the best price and I'm up for my birthday discount as well. Seems they finally got some extended choke tubes in for my Citoris so I got a set coming at a very good price. Stocked up on brass and cleaning supplies as well.
It's all good, just hope the next one lasts longer.

John Boy
02-03-2016, 10:10 AM
This is the only item i'm aware of that rcbs only has the 1 year warranty on Because it is made in China with their label on it and is WAY OVER Priced.

TXGunNut
02-05-2016, 10:47 PM
New dispenser arrived today, coupled it up and tested it while the oven was pre-heating. Yes, it's probably a bit overpriced but I haven't found anything I like better at any price. Life is good on my little spot on the prairie.

Virginian
02-14-2016, 03:08 PM
I love my Chargemaster and sure hope it doesn't poop out.

Greg S
02-16-2016, 04:17 PM
I've had mine for over ten years, great piece of equipment although abit spendy. I generally use it only for load development as it doesn't throw accurrately enough I feel for long range (vertical stringing). Yes, abit anneal but if I'm spending the time and resources for 400+ yard fodder, I feel it is worth it to throw by volume and trickle up to weight (+/- .02 grain) on my lab scale.

A couple of precautionary things I've done is to install two ferric oxcide line filters (available @ Radio Shack) on the wall wart power supply cord at either end of the cord which has reduced reading float from working under flourescent lights even after warm up and plugging into a surge protector.

dverna
02-23-2016, 08:27 PM
Eight years with mine and I really like it

Don Verna

Steyr47
03-23-2016, 02:39 PM
Mine is a few yrs old. I really like it for development, but will usually use a powder measure if cranking out lots of the same load. My one issue was on day one--I was getting spurious weights. I live in a very dry climate--it was static. I wiped it down with a drier sheet and have never had another issue. And, maybe being over cautious, but I got rid of the flourescent overhead and replaced it with an LED shop light. I've put in the short piece of soda straw too. I have hod no issues with any powder--just pour them in and start using after calibration. It's a great tool.
Steyr47