PDA

View Full Version : Lee 356 124TC mold

Don Fischer
01-22-2016, 08:45 PM
I was reading somewhere on here about this and people seemed to have trouble with leading in their 9mm's with it. well I recently got one, my only 9mm mold and got about 400 bullet's cast up and lubed then read it! oops! I figured I'd try them anyway as I could melt them back in the pot anytime. But trying to be safe, I put two more coats on lube on them. Fired off 50 today with no leading at all. haven't fired the gun a paper yet but at small plastic water bottle's and small blocks of wood. I have this thing with the defense handgun, at 7- yds, how accurate do you have to be? My 32 long and 38 spec both get fired at paper. Anyway, I had one hang up when an mty didn't clear and inspection when I got home showed no leading at all.

I was thinking about this and seem's that that bullet works fine in some gun's but not in others. wouldn't that indicate some kind of problem with the alloy, lube or maybe even the gun?

Southern Son
01-22-2016, 09:03 PM
I was reading somewhere on here about this and people seemed to have trouble with leading in their 9mm's with it. well I recently got one, my only 9mm mold and got about 400 bullet's cast up and lubed then read it! oops! I figured I'd try them anyway as I could melt them back in the pot anytime. But trying to be safe, I put two more coats on lube on them. Fired off 50 today with no leading at all. haven't fired the gun a paper yet but at small plastic water bottle's and small blocks of wood. I have this thing with the defense handgun, at 7- yds, how accurate do you have to be? My 32 long and 38 spec both get fired at paper. Anyway, I had one hang up when an mty didn't clear and inspection when I got home showed no leading at all.

I was thinking about this and seem's that that bullet works fine in some gun's but not in others. wouldn't that indicate some kind of problem with the alloy, lube or maybe even the gun?

I think that there are few cast boolit problems that are not caused buy one of these or incorrect boolit size.

waco
01-23-2016, 12:17 AM
Remember, fit is King...

JeffG
01-23-2016, 10:39 AM
I have no issues with that bullet either. My only issue with it has been just the lube goobing up the seating die. I used to clean out the die on the press with mineral spirits and qtip occasionally but now use a hornady taper crimp seating die with a flat seating plug instead. As I pick up each bullet to set it on the case I swipe the nose across a rag with mineral spirits on it. Works well and I no longer have issues with OAL changing.

01-23-2016, 11:33 AM
I have no issues with that bullet either. My only issue with it has been just the lube goobing up the seating for. I used to clean out the die on the press with mineral spirits and qtip occasionally but now use a hornady taper crimp seating die with a flat seating plug instead. As I pick up each bullet to set it on the case I swipe the nose across a rag with mineral spirits on it. Works well and I no longer have issues with OAL changing.

I love this mold. No issues at all. I water drop from straight wheel weight alloy, tumble lube with 45/45/10 and load. I do not size these.

Cherokee
01-23-2016, 08:41 PM
I've got about 25,000 loads thru my XDM comp 5" using that bullet (with lube grooves) and have no problems with it. I do clean it after about 1000 rounds. Fit is king.