PDA

View Full Version : Glock 40 s&w

GOPHER SLAYER
01-22-2016, 03:03 PM
Buckshot and I went to the range yesterday. It was a nice day, if a little windy at first. There was a nice group of shooters. Two men from South Dakota enjoying the sunshine. We only shot pistols. I shot my Ruger Blackhawk and my 45 ACP parts pistol. Buckshot brought his new Glock 40 S&W. I fired five or six rounds with it. It is different. The trigger pull was very light, almost like a set trigger. My finger is still sore from being rubbed across the trigger guard from the recoil. I can see why LEO love the Glock because of the light weight and reliability but to me these things are a detriment. It was difficult for me to control the recoil for a quick repeat shot and that trigger pull would call for restraint in some altercations . I do not have the muscles in my arms that I once had. My opinion. This pistol is a tool that does it's intended purpose very well but it is not a fun gun to shoot, for me a least. I am sure many will disagree.

Tackleberry41
01-22-2016, 04:35 PM
Some love a glock, others don't sort of like hi points, love or hate them. I had a full size G22, then later a G23, just never could get past the way the gun handles compared to well pretty much everything else. If your like my friend and all you have is glocks, probably works fine. But my collection is pretty diverse, and that different grip angle is hard to get past for me.

Plate plinker
01-22-2016, 09:17 PM
G23,G27,G35. Really like the 35 and 27. The 23 needs overhauled. Springs are about shot out.
Also have the new 43 and it a great shooter. G21 on the way as well as G19. I like evil black guns.
Kimber 1911 also mucho fun and the Springfield 1911 9mm.

Hmmm guess I like em all. Except for sig duty guns they just don't fit my hand. :(

9.3X62AL
01-23-2016, 11:32 AM
I have come to like Glock pistols and the 40 S&W cartridge very much. The 40 S&W's most common loading--the 180grain bullet at roughly 950 FPS--has a sharpness of report and quickness/snappiness of recoil not felt in 45 ACP. That is my subjective impression, anyway. We will have to let Glen try my CZ-75B in 40 S&W as a comparison. It's a "Browning HP" grip angle and format, and all-steel construction. Like Buckshot, I also have an unfired Glock in 40 S&W--a 22C with vented muzzle that I got for low bucks. It got disallowed for carry about 30 minutes after I bought it (HR-218 and County Counsel's reflexive over-reaction) so it has languished in the safe while Marie and I have been busy moving all over the state to get her career completed. Woe to any whose career field becomes the focus of political attention or compassion fascist angst.

Ahem.......another route to recoil management seems to be use of 135 or 150 grain bullets in the 40 S&W. I have stuck with the 175-180 grain bullets, since that is the weight-class I am required to carry as felon repellant and most of my 40 S&W shooting has to do with CCW/personal protection practice. Normal non-over-regulated folks have some options I lack. None of this is stated with intent to prompt a Bullet Battle or Caliber War, so those so-minded are on their own from here onward. Just sayin'.

Pumpkinheaver
01-23-2016, 11:49 AM
The snappy recoil of the 23 is why I carry a 19 everyday instead.

FergusonTO35
01-23-2016, 12:23 PM
I've never thought of Glock having a light trigger in stock form. For a long time now I've thought about getting a .40 and feeding it the Lee 175 grain TC at 850-900 fps, pretty much .44 Special power level, which would handily take care of any problem on this continent short of a grizzly bear. I never could shoot factory .40 ammo well, I think it is prone to pressure spikes.

nicholst55
01-23-2016, 01:34 PM
I bought a Gen4 G22 and really tried to like it. I just couldn't get past the ergonomics, though. That, and the .40 S&W cartridge just doesn't excite me. I traded that Glock off, and finally ended up with a Gen4 G26 in 9mm. I like it better, and frequently carry it with G19 15-round mags equipped with a grip spacer. I shoot the little gun well, too. I tried a friend's G27 before I bought my G26, and decided that I liked the 9mm better.

I'm really a diehard .45ACP fan, but after reading about a police officer who had less than stellar results with his G21 in a shootout, I have decided that more bullets/boolits is better.

Why one cop carries 145 rounds of ammo on the job (http://www.policeone.com/patrol-issues/articles/6199620-Why-one-cop-carries-145-rounds-of-ammo-on-the-job/)

Petrol & Powder
01-24-2016, 09:15 AM
The hate that is cast upon Glock is one of those weird things that I've never been able to completely grasp. I held a strong ambivalence towards Glocks for years but then warmed to them. Their strength is not in their looks (that may be the understatement of the year :grin: ).
The beauty of a Glock is found in their incredible reliability and durability. The haters will spread lies about Glocks without the slightest regard for the truth but if you can get past all of the internet lore and gun shop commandos, the reality of the Glock's value shines through.

They are incredibly good tools for combat. They just flat work. They are also flat out ugly. I'll take substance over style when we're taking about life or death. I've never seen someone that would choose a stylish parachute over one that was certain to work.

Petrol & Powder
01-24-2016, 09:39 AM
And by the way, with a little bit of sandpaper and about 10 minutes you can correct that annoying spot on the grip frame just below the trigger guard that rubs your finger in recoil. Another 5 minutes and you can smooth out the parting line inside the trigger guard. Your girlfriend's or wife's emery board works really well inside the trigger guard but don't get caught using it ( voice of experience here ).

Garyshome
01-24-2016, 09:53 AM
I put a Hogue grip sleeve,extended mag & slide release, 3-1/2 trigger bar on my 23 and shoot it a lot. When I first picked it up I couldn't hit anything, just takes practice. Like anything else. Later added a LW barrel for shooting cast, I use the Lee 401-175-TC 6 banger.

FergusonTO35
01-24-2016, 02:12 PM
I love how I can go to Midway, Gunbroker, Fleabay, or thousands of other websites and order every single Glock part I need other than frame new or used and have it sent to my door for a very reasonable price. You can say that about very few other guns. 1911, AR-15, AK-47, Browning Hi-Power come to mind. Also, Glock provides a full selection of different sights also at reasonable prices.

No other manufacturer has opted to go all in on one design more than Glock has; S&W does come close with their hand ejector revolvers. I don't have to worry about my 19, 26, and 42 being trendy flavor of the month offerings with no support after a few years.

I actually like the Glock look. Clean and somewhat streamlined without a bunch of weird contours and completely pointless grasping grooves on the front of the slide. Some sandpaper and a soldering iron is all it takes to reshape the grip and trigger guard to your liking. I rounded the sharp edges of the bottom of the trigger guard and sanded the useless and pointy finger bumps down to gently rolling hills, then applied a light grit pattern to them with my soldering iron. Feels great!

GOPHER SLAYER
01-24-2016, 02:52 PM
I think the thread I started is spiraling off in an unintended direction. I thought I explained my experience very clearly. The problems I had shooting the gun I am sure could be corrected with little effort or expense. I even said it was a very reliable tool that performed without a single malfunction and that it served it's intended purpose very well. After talking to another friend about my experience with the gun he told my his Glock is larger and heavier and that I could probably control it better. I never intended to say anything bad about the pistol or to degrade it in any way. The Glock has changed handgun design forever. Now I am going to step in it. I have a great many handguns but only one is an automatic, the rest are revolvers and I do luv'em but you have to admit, they are so yester year. Now that I am hiding under my wife's bed, let the games began.

Mauser48
01-24-2016, 03:15 PM
I have a gen 2 glock 22. The 40 cal glocks didn't start until the gen 2 came out. They are cool guns that are great for protection but they are very hard to shoot. My 6 inch gp100 is a lot more fun to shoot. My next autoloading handgun will be a CZ-75b in 9mm.

junkpile
01-24-2016, 03:19 PM
Yeah, the Glock trigger is difficult to figure out. I've got a 19 and a 20, but I don't think that the larger framed 20 is easier to shoot. I typically prefer my revolvers an my 1911, but stumbled into the 20 when trying to trade out my 9.3x62. I haven't been able to bring myself to selling the 20 off yet, as it's got too much potential. And the 19 is my throw-around beater, bought specifically for that purpose. And I'd really like to get my hands on a 17 sometime soon.

Anyway, they're a completely different animal than anything else I've ever shot. I'd like to try out the Lone Wolf frame, too. For me, it's been almost like learning to squeeze a trigger all over again. Just different.

Groo
01-24-2016, 03:26 PM
Groo here
Convert to 357sig will help greatly,
only found one gun I though was accurate with 40 S&W [ eaa witness Gold Team]
All others I have are now 357 sig.

kingstrider
01-24-2016, 03:41 PM
I had a Glock 27 and carried it for a few years, ugly as sin but completely reliable. Wound up trading it for a 4" GP100 and haven't looked back, selling the last of my 40 S&W stuff now. I would probably entertain another Glock, possibly a full size 45 for use as a house gun.

DerekP Houston
01-24-2016, 03:48 PM
I haven't picked one up but it has been on my list for awhile. I guess since they are always in stock there is no rush to purchase.

Petrol & Powder
01-24-2016, 04:42 PM
Gopher Slayer - I didn't take you post as even slightly negative. My comments were just generalized reflections on the Glock world.

W.R.Buchanan
01-24-2016, 06:32 PM
GS: Your observations were not new and really pretty common. Lots of people form opinions on guns after shooting them. Nothing wrong with that.

What I found after shooting my first Glock was it needed a bunch of deburring of various things to make it a little more hand friendly. If you are going to shoot 800 rounds thru one in 4 days, it is kind of imperative that all the little sharp edges are wiped off the gun.

I always start with the trigger safety. It sticks up above the trigger face and wears a groove in your trigger finger. I take an X-acto knife and cut it down until it is even with the face of the trigger when compressed. Works wonders!

I go over the gun with my hands feeling it out in every conceivable way while watching TV and making note of any sharp edge that repeatedly bugs me. I do this to all my guns so it's no big deal but it sure makes the guns more friendly to your hands. The plastic guns do have some small protrusions that will take their toll over long shooting sessions and if removed, do not become problems later on.

You were shooting a brand new gun which probably had not be "massaged."

You got it right when you stated these guns are "tools." and probably more so than any other Pistol in History with the possible exception of the Colt SAA or 1911. The thing about this particular tool is the fact that it can be trained into use easier than any other pistol out there. It is the simplest pistol to learn there is and that is why 60% of the police agencies in the world use them.

They are the preferred training pistol at Front Sight where they can take a complete newbie (IE doesn't know which end of the gun the bullet comes out.) and turn them in to a person who can outshoot the vast majority of LEO in the US,,,, In 4 days!!!

This is partly because of their highly refined training techniques, but it is also because of the ease of operation and simplicity of the Glock Platform.

There are only 3 things you can do with a Glock.

1. You can rack the slide,,, 2. you can insert or remove a magazine,,, and 3. you can pull the trigger. There are no other safeties to worry about, and all of the malfunction drills are most easily accomplished with these guns due to the simplicity of operation.

Once you learn the proper operation of a Glock you can go on to learn other platforms much easier than starting with those more complicated platforms.

I started with a CZ40P it was Decocker. Nice gun but I couldn't get thru the class with it. it was simply too complicated. I sold it and bought a Glock 35 and graduated in the next class.

I could now go back and run that gun effectively since I know how to run the Glock platform. All the other guns just add things like safeties and decocking levers to the basic three steps.

I have other pistols,,, but the things I learned using the Glock platform have given me the ability to transition to those platforms in a shorter amount of time. Hand Gun Shooting is "Hand Gun Shooting," and learning the basic fundamentals is common to all guns no matter which one you choose.

Those fundamentals are easiest learned with a Glock.

And if I had to go to a fight, I'd be grabbing my Glock 21SF in .45 ACP first.

Randy

FergusonTO35
01-24-2016, 06:44 PM
Buddy of mine used to have a Glock 22 .40 caliber. The sharp recoil and heavy slide/light frame made it feel like it was going to jump over my shoulder with every shot. He also had a Beretta 96 that was a pleasure to shoot with the same ammo, go figure. As said before I think a less intense .40 S&W round with a boolit would be a fun and useful round.

Greg G
02-04-2016, 03:10 AM
I, like a lot of gun folks, hated Glock for decades. Scoffed at my friends that bought them. Called them Tupperware. One day I was in Gander Mountain, and had my mind on a Beretta 96. they didn't have one. The salesman said, "But I have a used Glock 22". He did such a good job helping me I entertained him by looking at the Glock 22. He offered it to me at $400, and it came with 5 mags. I couldn't pass it up. And the gun looked new.

I bought a few boxes of Magtech 180 gr. HP to go with it. It shot really well. So then I did the disconnector and spring mods, got the trigger feel just the way I like it. Installed some TruGlo TFX sights on her. Then I found a super deal on a Bar-Sto barrel on ARFCOM. It shot a little better, as expected. Which is why I'm here on the forum tonight, looking for a mold recommendation.

9.3X62AL
02-04-2016, 01:20 PM
Which is why I'm here on the forum tonight, looking for a mold recommendation.

I REALLY like the Lee 175 grain truncated-cone bullet design. I've loaded this for a long time--that bullet seated to 1.135" OAL in W-W cases, 4.7 grains of WW-231 imparted about 975 FPS in the Beretta 96 and about 925 FPS in the Glock 23. It hews very closely to the 180 grain Ranger SXT carry load I'm required to use by policy, now being marketed as the Winchester White Box 180 JHP.

Ed_Shot
02-04-2016, 02:53 PM
I have a G22 Gen3 with Lone Wolf .40 and 9MM barrels. I added a 3.5# connector and Warren Tactical sights. I wrapped the handle with a Talon Grip, and while the Talon may not suit everybody I REALLY like it. Feels like the G22 is glued to my hand. IMHO the pistol is obviously more accurate using the LW barrels, granted it's a subjective assessment. I've never had the nerve to take a file to the trigger guard but Petrol & Powder has inspired me to try it.

As for a recommended .40 boolit my vote goes to the Lyman 401043 with the Lyman 401654 a close second.

Walkingwolf
02-04-2016, 03:13 PM
We have three Glocks, they are OK, but no love affair. I carry mostly a GP100, the Mrs carries a SMC380 most of the time. We both have G22, but both of us stopped carrying them. For her even OC she considered the gun too bulky, and she does not like the snap. I loaded mild loads with a Bayou 180 grain flat point for her that is more comfortable. 4.2gn TG at 890 fps. It is better, but it is still a light gun. Her favorite gun(my gun) is a Star Super A, she does not mind the extra weight, and loves how comfortable it is to carry. And it shoots so damn well, 2 inch groups 10 yards off hand, and very little recoil. I don't like her to carry it because it is old, I have fears of a FP breaking. I really wish someone would build the Star pistols again.

She also enjoys shooting my 1911, and sometimes carries that. Yes the Glock is lighter, and has more capacity, but it just awkward to shoot, and blocky to carry. Might as well carry a Hi Point.

As far as Glock hate, I don't see it. I see fanboi hate, act like a jerk no matter what you carry and you will get screwed with. Glocks are a tool, and do their job. There is no good use for a fanboi.

FergusonTO35
02-04-2016, 04:51 PM
Only thing I really don't like about Glocks is thatmy two 9mm's shoot very high with the issue sights. The steel front and 6.1 mm rear brought it down to just about right on my 26. Have the plastic front and adjustable rear on my 19, shoots 3" high at 15 yards even with the rear turned all the way down.

Plate plinker
02-05-2016, 09:52 PM
Take it to the Glock armorer when they have a match in Kentucky they will change the sight free of charge. Inspect the weapon and upgrade any parts, also free of charges. Heh heh they often clean it to some degree ask me how I know. :wink:

Greg G
02-07-2016, 01:10 AM
Thanks for the mould recommendations. The 401043 sure looks like it hols a lot of lube.

FergusonTO35
02-07-2016, 01:42 PM
Plate Plinker, does Glock make taller front sights? See, the pistol still shoots high even with the lowest rear sight installed. Hi Viz makes a .215 front with flourescent inserts for under $30.00, I may go with that.

Sam Casey
02-07-2016, 01:55 PM
I have a Glock 23 & a 19. Like them both. As I aged, I disposed of some classics that were just getting too hard for me to operate. One was a nice older Colt Officers 45 auto that was just sprung too tight for me to easily chamber a round. Same with a MIII Hi-power and a couple others that were getting hard for me to manipulate & not fun to shoot any longer. The Glocks have proven themselves to me and I would choose them in place of the guns sold if I knew then what I know now.

9.3X62AL
02-07-2016, 04:35 PM
Well, I got to missing my Glock 23 so much after giving it to one of the kids.......I went out and got another one for myself. It comes home on or after 2/14.

Catshooter
02-08-2016, 03:58 AM
I know just what you mean Mr. Casey. Glock doesn't make pocket pistols so I go elsewhere for them (at least not for my pockets). But if the pistol is a weapon, it's a Glock in my house.

And I know what you mean Al! I loaned my kid my Glock 39, missed it so much I had to get another. I am such a big bore guy but I have trouble with the 10/45 framed Glocks. The 45 GAP works perfectly for me. I like the 9 but I really prefer the 40 or 45. Just old fashioned I guess.

Cat

FergusonTO35
02-09-2016, 11:10 PM
I love my 42. If I could only choose one carry gun that would be it. Very soft shooter, even with +P. I went ahead and ordered the .215 front sight from Hi Viz for my 19. This should get the POI down to where it needs to be. When I'm wearing a coat I carry my 26 in a paddle holster. It carries easy and shoots like a larger gun.