PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a 45-70 for silhouette maybe some long range

69daytona
01-22-2016, 02:44 AM
Which would be the stronger more accurate action to to get, rolling block, 74 sharps style or high wall ?
would like 45-110 as would like to try some long range(100yards) but have a silhouette range close by.
what barrel length would work best and which sights?
can any of the 45-70s be reamed out to 45-110 without any worries?
will be strictly BP only.

NSB
01-22-2016, 03:43 AM
You don't need anything other than the 45-70 for silhouette. In fact, it's the most used caliber for that type of shooting. Also, 100 yards isn't long range silhouette shooting. Shooting five or six hundred yards is long range shooting with these guns and that's with "iron" sights, not scoped. Each type of gun you mention can be very accurate. For long range silhouette shooting, the Sharps style is the more popular. I've owned two Sharps and two High Walls and have found them to be equally accurate. The Sharps were/are somewhat heavier and are a bit easier to shoot for an extended range session. One other thing to consider is that 45-70 brass is more abundant and cheaper than the longer cartridges such as the 45-90, 45-100, etc. Yes, you can ream a 45-70 out to a longer cartridge but I'd suggest talking to some experienced silhouette shooters first. I think you'll find out it's not necessary or advantageous to do so.

Don McDowell
01-22-2016, 10:50 AM
45-70 will take care of any silhouette needs. The max distance on that is 500 meters. The 45-70 actually shoots to the 1000 yd line with good results. Using blackpowder.
Any of those rifles will work, and all will shoot just fine, which one is going to fall into what fits you , and which you like the best.
Yes you can rechamber to a longer case, but it's not just a simple rentareamer deal if you want something done to make an accurate rifle. Usually best to just rebarrel and start with a fresh chamber.

country gent
01-22-2016, 12:38 PM
I agree with Dons assesment. The 45-70 is a fine capable round for out to 1000 yds and shines on the shillouette game. If there is a shillouette range nearby before you buy your rifle show up at a couple matches and watch talk to the competitors before and after the match see whats on the line and find out why. You may get to even hndle some diffrent rifles to see how they feel and what weight rifle feels right. Another plus is when you decide to shoot your first match after doing this you will know and understand the line commands and whats expected of you. 100 or 200 yds is the starting distance for these matches 500 is mid range and in shillouette the farthest youll shoot. Long range is normally 800, 900, and 1000 yds. These rifles are a ball to work with and a hit on the rams is very rewarding. Almost as much as hits on the offhand chickens are. LOL

69daytona
01-22-2016, 08:41 PM
What silhouette range do you shoot at that only goes out to 100 yards? Ours is out to 500yards, if I was shooting just 100 I wouldn't worry about anything bigger than a 45-70 itch light boolits.

Bigslug
01-24-2016, 12:35 AM
All of the classics can give you stellar accuracy if you build them right. The High Wall is probably going to win any blow up contest - it's just not a good idea to get into strength arguments with Browning's designs.

Yeah, the Sharps has it's place in history, and is undeniably slick, but I find them an ergonomic P. I. T. A. to operate - just too many steps to get a round off - especially if you throw a set trigger into the mix. Half cock, lever down, round in, lever up, full cock, set trigger, shoot. . .I'm tired already!

Short of a Martini, the High Wall is probably fastest to run- opening the gun cocks it for you, eliminating that step.

The forged Marlin Ballards are strong enough for black powder pressures and have VERY fast lock times - especially helpful if not shooting from rests.

The late Remingtons were built for smokeless cartrdiges - plenty of strength there - and are just COOL in the elegant simplicity of the thing.

Toymaker
01-24-2016, 09:47 AM
Any of those actions are going to be just fine with black powder. It becomes a matter of which one is most pleasing to you.

IF you decide to develop a smokeless load you should be aware that the rolling block action is not considered to be a strong action. The high wall is probably the strongest. That being said, unless you get wild and wooly any of those actions will work just fine. I've got two smokeless loads for my roller that exceed 1,400 fps with a 500+ grain bullet. So, again, which one is most pleasing.

As to caliber - a friend of mine bought a 45-90 and wishes he hadn't. He developed a bp and smokeless load for it and has never brought it to the range again. Meanwhile, I bring my 45-70 all the time. It's not unusual for me to set up a load development series of 50 rounds and spend a Saturday sending them down range. In competition it whacks the silhouettes with authority and the spotters have little doubt about hits. Once, the abdominal appendage on the ram silhouette just forward of the rear leg, went missing after I shot. They never did find it.

NSB
01-24-2016, 10:33 AM
Don't let all the steps needed to load and shoot a Sharps influence your decision. I own/owned a few of them, some High Walls, and a lever gun. The Sharps soon becomes second nature to load and shoot. It's only a minor inconvenience for a time or two out and you'll never think of it again. They are all fun to shoot and all will shoot equally well with the right loads.

MT Chambers
01-26-2016, 06:58 PM
The only need for the longer .45s would be for a hunting rifle using black powder.

wills
01-26-2016, 07:25 PM
I agree with Dons assesment. The 45-70 is a fine capable round for out to 1000 yds and shines on the shillouette game. If there is a shillouette range nearby before you buy your rifle show up at a couple matches and watch talk to the competitors before and after the match see whats on the line and find out why. You may get to even hndle some diffrent rifles to see how they feel and what weight rifle feels right. Another plus is when you decide to shoot your first match after doing this you will know and understand the line commands and whats expected of you. 100 or 200 yds is the starting distance for these matches 500 is mid range and in shillouette the farthest youll shoot. Long range is normally 800, 900, and 1000 yds. These rifles are a ball to work with and a hit on the rams is very rewarding. Almost as much as hits on the offhand chickens are. LOL

That is the best advice you will ever get. BPCRS shooters are friendly. First time I went to see a match, someone told me “I brought an extra rifle. Ifyou had gotten here earlier you could have shot the match with it.”

Let people know you want to buy a rifle. Someone will have one for sale. You can probably shoot it before you buy. You will probably get the loadingdata and sight settings to go with it. Igot a NEI mold built when Walt Melander was alive.

country gent
01-26-2016, 08:42 PM
My first real foray into BPCR was a pedersoli sharps in 45-70 that does a wonderful job for me Though mine is to heavy for NRA sanctioned matches. ( Cabellas long range with 34" half round barrel), Second was a C Sharps rem. Hepburn in 45-90 shoots great but beats me up pretty good with those 550 grn bullets it likes. Last was a 40-65 CPA with 30" barrel that does great for me and is pretty mild on the shoulder with 400 grn bullets. Im in the process of building a Remington Rolling block up in 38-55 now, not sure if I will shoot it or Dad. I have let new comers shoot these rifles manytimes though I am carefull with the hepburn since I dont want to scare new shooters away with its recoil. As I recomended Find out the match schedule near you if possible the person/s running it and give them a call asking if you would be welcome to wtch and learn ( bet you get the rifle and ammo loan offer then). Shooters are normally very friendly and nice people willing to help newcomers.

marlinman93
01-27-2016, 01:57 PM
I'd start out making a list of my parameters. Budget being the first on the list. If it's unlimited, then disregard that, but if like most of us, the budget may eliminate some choices. The .45-70 is hard to go wrong with. The versatility, and abundance of great brass, and components, makes it a better choice.

69daytona
01-30-2016, 09:33 PM
Found a BPCR silhouette group at local range in Ione, Ca. Have a match every first Saturday of the month so will be going out there to watch and learn.
Im not very recoil sensitive, shoot a handi rifle in S&W 500 with 600-700gr slugs usually 50-100 at a sitting, plus 3-400 pistol rounds of 445, 375Sm and 357Sm. Not to worried about recoil.
have been shooting a light old EMF 45-70 535gr postall at 1600fps felt like shooting my 308.

rfd
01-31-2016, 10:15 AM
as already posted, hard to beat the ubiquitous .45-70 in any action format, take yer pick. i prefer the rolling block action and use pedersoli rollers in 34" and 30" octagonal barrel lengths. vernier tang peep and globe front are the only iron sights to consider. real black powder is THE way to go, for sure. and of course, casting yer bullets. 100 yards is way too short for this cartridge! :) LOTS to consider when going the bpcr route, enjoy the journey!

http://i.imgur.com/pUAzywh.jpg

Chill Wills
01-31-2016, 01:15 PM
Found a BPCR silhouette group at local range in Ione, Ca. Have a match every first Saturday of the month so will be going out there to watch and learn. Im not very recoil sensitive, shoot a handi rifle in S&W 500 with 600-700gr slugs usually 50-100 at a sitting, plus 3-400 pistol rounds of 445, 375Sm and 357Sm. Not to worried about recoil. have been shooting a light old EMF 45-70 535gr postall at 1600fps felt like shooting my 308.

That is a great range to have use of - especially if you get the BPCR bug and start shooting at distance. I shot some Creedmoor matches there years ago. There are a few guys that shoot there that have been around. They know what they are doing. They can answer your questions on the spot if you are out there shooting with them. As Wills has said, go to a silhouette match and talk with them, see what they shoot and what might be for sale and go from there. I know you will meet some nice, very helpful people. Some you might make long time friends with.

Rifle 57
01-31-2016, 04:22 PM
as already posted, hard to beat the ubiquitous .45-70 in any action format, take yer pick. i prefer the rolling block action and use pedersoli rollers in 34" and 30" octagonal barrel lengths. vernier tang peep and globe front are the only iron sights to consider. real black powder is THE way to go, for sure. and of course, casting yer bullets. 100 yards is way too short for this cartridge! :) LOTS to consider when going the bpcr route, enjoy the journey!

http://i.imgur.com/pUAzywh.jpg

Nice rifles rfd. I had a Pedersoli RB back in the 90's and I dont know why I did not keep it. Just another one of my dumb *** attacks when I traded it off.