PDA

View Full Version : 535 Paul Jones money bullet

bignut
01-21-2016, 09:07 PM
I have a chance to buy a Paul Jones 535 grain money bullet mold. Can anyone tell me if this will work well with a browning bpcr chamber? The first 2 lead bands are tapered from .452 on up to .459 on the base. I have read that these chambers like the boolit to be seated in the rifling, and thought this may work. Anyone have any thoughts or experience with this?[smilie=6:

bignut
01-22-2016, 01:12 AM
Anyone?

rfd
01-22-2016, 10:07 AM
it'll probably work, but how well is gonna take experimentation on yer part. have you slugged yer rifle's barrel and/or cast the chamber?

Don McDowell
01-22-2016, 10:45 AM
My Browning likes the bullet off of the lands.
RFD is right it'll take some experimentation to find out. The only way to do that is buy a mould and start shooting..

Gunlaker
01-22-2016, 11:42 AM
Dan designed two bullets for the Browning .45 chambers. One for the .45-70 and one for the .45-90. If the price is reasonable I would buy it. You will alway get your money back on a Jones mold.

Chris.

montana_charlie
01-22-2016, 03:03 PM
How many grease grooves does it have?

bignut
01-23-2016, 01:13 PM
It has 5 grooves. Unsure of barrel diameter yet. Have been waiting for the gun to come in. Waiting for your new gun is worse than being a 5 year old on Christmas morning! I will slug it this evening, I have read these run in the .458 area.

montana_charlie
01-23-2016, 06:20 PM
It has 5 grooves.
If it has five grooves of normal depth AND the tapered bands are .452" and .454", AND the mould was cut by Paul Jones, it is likely that you have a copy of the 'Doc Lay Money Bullet' which was created for his 'Money Gun' ... which is an 1874 Sharps in 45/70 that was made by Shiloh Sharps.

I don't think either of the Money bullets that Dan T. drew up for Browning/Winchester guns had tapered bands.

The tapered bands allow the bullet to be seated out (in a Shiloh chamber throat) so that enough powder could be loaded in a 45/70 case to reach the muzzle velocity of 1350 fps ... required to realize the bullet's optimum ballistic coefficient.

bignut
01-23-2016, 11:38 PM
That is the critter. Sounds like I should have done a little more homework before I bought it.. I'm going to try it still to see if it'll work. Guess I better keep looking for the right one. Thanks!

If it has five grooves of normal depth AND the tapered bands are .452" and .454", AND the mould was cut by Paul Jones, it is likely that you have a copy of the 'Doc Lay Money Bullet' which was created for his 'Money Gun' ... which is an 1874 Sharps in 45/70 that was made by Shiloh Sharps.

I don't think either of the Money bullets that Dan T. drew up for Browning/Winchester guns had tapered bands.

The tapered bands allow the bullet to be seated out (in a Shiloh chamber throat) so that enough powder could be loaded in a 45/70 case to reach the muzzle velocity of 1350 fps ... required to realize the bullet's optimum ballistic coefficient.

Chill Wills
01-24-2016, 12:43 AM
That is the critter. Sounds like I should have done a little more homework before I bought it.. I'm going to try it still to see if it'll work. Guess I better keep looking for the right one. Thanks!

It will shoot fine! You have a good mold. It will shoot well if you use the right powder and primer. Dinking around with lesser powders and hot LR primers will eat time and make you wonder. Cast it on the hard side and try Swiss powder.

Don McDowell
01-24-2016, 12:18 PM

Don't over complicate this. Simply cast those bullets from 16-1, lube them with a quality commercial blackpowder bullet lube,load them in a winchester case primed with a standard large rifle primer,
62 Swiss 2f,or 65 Shuetzen 2f, or68 Eysnford 2f, or 70 of KIK 2f, what ever powder you have on hand or access to, a .060 fiber wad, on top of the power and compressed enough to let the bullet seat deep enough that the loaded round drops into a clean chamber with no resistance.
Hold center and squeeze the trigger.

Rifle 57
01-24-2016, 01:51 PM
Don't over complicate this. Simply cast those bullets from 16-1, lube them with a quality commercial blackpowder bullet lube,load them in a winchester case primed with a standard large rifle primer,
62 Swiss 2f,or 65 Shuetzen 2f, or68 Eysnford 2f, or 70 of KIK 2f, what ever powder you have on hand or access to, a .060 fiber wad, on top of the power and compressed enough to let the bullet seat deep enough that the loaded round drops into a clean chamber with no resistance.
Hold center and squeeze the trigger.

It could not have been explained any better Don!

Don McDowell
01-24-2016, 02:46 PM
Thanks. I just hate to see folks get mired in the mud on stuff that doesn't matter all that much.

EDG
01-24-2016, 05:02 PM
I have a little bit different bullet. It is a Steve Brooks RN that looks like a Govt bullet but does not have the huge govt grease grooves. It has a conventional set of grooves with tapered bands from .452 to .456, and .461 on the base. I lube it at .461.
Mechanically I try to seat it as straight as possible in a case that is expanded to .460. It is seated about .050 too long for either a Browning or a Pedersoli.
I thumb seat it enough to get the breech block closed and the bullet finishes seating itself. It is very accurate used this way in 3 different rifles.

Old-Win
01-24-2016, 06:59 PM
I'm not trying to disparage Don here, but I think he may have given you the wrong advice about your PJ bullet that may send you on a long quest to get it shooting. They are usually designed to to be thumb seated quite a ways up the tube depending on the leade angle in your rifle. Work on finding the overall length with just a little engraving on the 2nd driving band. The nose may be around .450" and it will probably show engraving marks as it goes in. Think of the base of the nose as the first driving band. It will take around 75 grs of Swiss. Bob

Don McDowell
01-24-2016, 07:59 PM
Those Browning chambers, aren't as long throated as some seem to think. Neither my Browing or the wifes Winchester shoot their best with the bullet into the lands.