PDA

View Full Version : please reply quickly,

Oklahoma Rebel
01-21-2016, 03:10 PM
I cant find the exact load so if any of you have a ballistics calculater I need to know the velocity of 33.5grs. of acc 2495,405gr. cast rfl, in a 22 inch barrel .I am about to start loading but I am low on powder that's why I am asking for a hasty reply.. thankyou I appreciate it

C. Latch
01-21-2016, 03:14 PM
'Hasty' and 'reloading without published data'

Two concepts that don't go together, at all.

Oklahoma Rebel
01-21-2016, 03:24 PM
oh sorry its a 45-70

Oklahoma Rebel
01-21-2016, 03:27 PM
I am not an expert but not a fool either I know that a medium burning powder at over 50% 2.5cc out of4.02ccs I believe , I know it will be safe, just didn't want to lopad them all to find out I am at like a 1000 fps or less and no I do not have a chronograph

Oklahoma Rebel
01-21-2016, 03:28 PM
and I have a book or "published data" the load wasn't in it, it is the updated lee manual

Oklahoma Rebel
01-21-2016, 03:35 PM
im not trying to be rude, but don't make assumptions that I don't know anything because I used the word hasty instead of asap or something, I bet you think I am going to be reloading hastily too, but I am not, just eager to try out new boolits I casted this morning .I would like to continue talking now in a civil manner, and I will try my best to word things more carefully

Scharfschuetze
01-21-2016, 03:40 PM
A quick look at the Western Powders burn rate chart shows AAC 2495 to be very similar to H4895, Winchester 748, Reloader 12 and Hodgdon's 335.

You can take that info and check your Lee loading manual and make a some assumptions from there. Still, you really need to work up to a load following the usual guide lines.

Oklahoma Rebel
01-21-2016, 04:05 PM
I do have a normal load, it is 2.8cc's or around 37gr. I would take a guess that it shoots at 1300 or so, like I said I am almost out of powder and I am disabled and waiting on disability so I cant just go out and buy another pound of powder. i was just hoping someone had a downloaded program that calculated ballistics but i am just gonna have to figure it out on my own. AND I MUST AGAIN SAY I DID NOT MEAN I WAS GOING TO REALOAD HASTILY, JUST EXCITED TO TRY OUT NEW BULLEST THAT I HAVE CASTED. AND MY NAME IS A PLAY ON BILLY THE KID SINCE MY AREA WAS A PLAYGROUND FOR OUTLAWS AND SUCH, I AM 29 YEARS OLD, NOT 14-15, WHICH SOUNDS LIKE THAT IS WHAT YOU GUYS ARE THINKING. RUSHING THROUGH ANY STAGE OF RERLOADING, OR USING FIREARMS IS LIKTE PLAYING RUSSIAN ROULETTE

tinhorn97062
01-21-2016, 04:15 PM
Sounds like a whole lot of assumptions all the way around. That said- chill out dude. Folks here are trying to help you, and with a perceived attitude, those once helpful people will quite possibly just remove themselves from the situation.

Mica_Hiebert
01-21-2016, 04:44 PM
Accurate powders does not show any load data for that powder in 45/70 good luck.

waksupi
01-21-2016, 04:45 PM
'Hasty' and 'reloading without published data'

Two concepts that don't go together, at all.

Amen.

Oklahoma Rebel
01-21-2016, 05:03 PM
I apologize, I did say I would like to continue talking in a civil manner, but just like the last post I keep getting the same, hasty and loading don't belong together , if you look back I said that I had worded that wrong and should have said asap or something, just don't like being talked down to that's all. I know most of you know way more then me but its kinda like how a doctor talks to his patients. if you guys read the (whole) thing I think you will fiind that I did make myself clear after the first badly worded post. I am no good at computers that's wwhy I was asking,to no avail. but I am off to go try to find some place to download a ballistics program or whatever they call it. no further responses necessary,thank you and have a good day

Blammer
01-22-2016, 11:20 AM
QUICKLY!

ok, I replied quickly. :)

lol

Oklahoma Rebel
01-22-2016, 05:20 PM
any moderator or whatever it is called, if you see this message,could you kindly remove this whole post, it has been completely misunderstood mostly because of my poor wording, I am not angry, and I would just like to drop it and move on with no ill will towards anyone. anyone that replied, thankyou for your input, and I have a load figured out so no more assistance is needed at this time. have a good day to all.

Scharfschuetze
01-23-2016, 03:22 PM
I looked at the relative burn rate of ACC 2495 in a couple of different charts by Western and by Lyman. It is slightly slower than IMR 4895 and slightly faster than VARGET.

In the Lyman Cast Bullet Handbook #4 the starting load for the Lyman 457193, a 405 grain cast boolit that I use a lot, is 42.0 grains of VARGET for 1,258 fps. Given that, I'd say your proposed load is a safe one for your Marlin and should probably produce about 1,100 fps.

Lyman only lists CUP pressure measurments for the 45/70 and they show a pressure of 11,100 copper units of pressure with the above VARGET load. As you know that does not convert directly to pounds per square inch, but it is still very mild.

Oklahoma Rebel
01-23-2016, 04:32 PM
ok thankyou very much for the straight forward answer,i ended up using about 37gr. (2.8cc lee dipper), and I think your figured velocity is about right, it might be moving a tad faster. the boolits are still penetrating 2 1/2-3 feet of frozen dirt from 50 yards. I think it would 2 hole a good sized hog. now I just need to soften up the bullets a little. as of right now, no expansion, but I might not mess with that, a 30 cal that expands to 1/2 inch kills pretty good, so if I start there who needs expansion.lol. thanks have a good one

Scharfschuetze
01-23-2016, 11:55 PM
OK,

Are you getting a complete burn with the 2495 load, ie. any unburnt kernels in the bore. I found that with my Marlin 1895, an incomplete burn with light loads of 5744 would jam the action up after only a few rounds. Wouldn't want that to happen to you with a mad hog in front of you.

Oklahoma Rebel
01-25-2016, 03:35 PM
I get a few kernals that look like they are bunt, but held their shape, no problems caused by them, and a gentle blow down the barrel (WITH THE ACTION UNLOADED AND OPEN,LOL) blows them right out of the ejection port

Oklahoma Rebel
01-25-2016, 03:35 PM
finally scrounged enough to get a pound of imr4198, only took a month!