PDA

View Full Version : Sizing ?

roysha
01-21-2016, 12:49 PM
Before someone rips me a new one, I have read so much about this process my eyeballs are spinning but I haven't found anything specific about when to size the bullet. Before PC or after? I have read what seems to be, the sizing being done either way, but can't seem to find anything definitive, one way or the other.

I'm trying to decide if I want to jump in, mainly for rifle use. But before I do, I want to make sure I understand as much about the process as possible. This question is really the only thing left that has me a bit confused.

Pine Baron
01-21-2016, 12:55 PM
I've had the best luck with AFTER PC, Lee "push up" sizer, on pistol boolits.

GRUMPA
01-21-2016, 01:08 PM
I do it before and after. As I hope we all know most moulds don't produce perfectly round boolits. I round them up generally .001 under the size I want, then after PC I size to the size I want which would be .001 larger than the first sizing I did prior.

Keeps things more consistent that way...

earthling121757
01-21-2016, 01:58 PM
On any forum with more than one member, you probably won't find a consensus on anything. Me, I size after only on boolits with out a GC. On checked boolits I size and install the check, then size again after coating. Just try it each way and see which you prefer and if it makes any difference in YOUR guns...

fredj338
01-21-2016, 04:10 PM
I size after. The bullets are slicker & you don't want anything on the naked lead bullet when PCing.

chutesnreloads
01-21-2016, 07:39 PM
Size after also....however with newest mold I'm seeing some PC scraped off along edge of gas check.Will try shooting these before continuing this process with this boolit

Gremlin460
01-21-2016, 07:51 PM
When using PC I size after the coating, when I use HiTek I size between the 2 coats . I only shoot pistol not rifle.
I size to 358 for all the casts and store them at 358. If I load for my 92fs I resize the last coat to 358, just makes it a bit slicker, if I load for the wifes 1911 I size to 356 for her.

Sizing raw uncoated casts "burnish" the lead somewhat and close the "pores" that either PC or HiTek coatings use to get a firm bond to the lead. In the old days when using grease as lube this did not matter as the ancient lube had a grove or groves all of its own to contain it.
If you had a sheet of glass and acid etch one half, then PC coat the sheet, the un-etched side would release the coating easier. Same principle applies to cast lead or sized lead.