PDA

View Full Version : New S&W Shield 9mm

Bonz
01-21-2016, 09:32 AM
Performance Center Shield VS Original M&P Shield
Thinking about buying one of these because of the upgrades, especially because of the ported barrel. I already have the original 9mm Shield and love it and would never think about getting rid of it.

https://youtu.be/3chz_HH3G4Q

straightwall
01-21-2016, 09:46 AM
Ports make the gun louder and can ruin your night vision when shot in the dark. These negatives outweigh the benefit of better shooting control. Practice also helps attain confidence and control of firearm.
YMMV [emoji4]

Tackleberry41
01-21-2016, 10:28 AM
Shop near me has one of these in the case. Has better sights, tho doubt it would be any more accurate. As said those ports would be murder on your hearing and no good for your night vision. Cant imagine they do much for velocity either, theres not much barrel on a shield.

Bonz
01-21-2016, 10:38 AM
Was thinking about this for my wife. I load custom ammo for her to compensate for her limp-wristed shooting. The porting would remove some of the impact on the wrist with less barrel rise

straightwall
01-21-2016, 10:49 AM
Was thinking about this for my wife. I load custom ammo for her to compensate for her limp-wristed shooting. The porting would remove some of the impact on the wrist with less barrel rise

Sounds like a good reason to buy one!!!

Dan Cash
01-21-2016, 10:58 AM
In a struggle, a ported barrel could blind you if you fired. Not the greatest hazard in the world but a potential problem. If wife is limp wristing, train her to overcome or give her a six shooter.

theleo
01-21-2016, 04:22 PM
When I come across one in 9mm I'll probably be buying it. At the end of the day I don't see it being any worse on my ears than my 3" model 60 shooting 357's. My 44 special with 8 gr of Unique already blinds me at night, I'd expect my 357 loaded hot would to. The Shield already has a short barrel, so it's not like your trying to get max velocity, and with all the short barrel guns I've been around you're going to get enough muzzle flash to blind you anyway.

straightwall
01-21-2016, 05:17 PM
...with all the short barrel guns I've been around you're going to get enough muzzle flash to blind you anyway.

Yes, muzzle flash either way. The difference is flashing straight out the barrel or straight up into line of sight. <shrug>

35remington
01-21-2016, 08:29 PM
To me it has more downsides than benefits and I would have little enthusiasm for procuring a pistol so configured. There is little "recoil braking effect" due to drilling holes in the top of the barrel as there is no strike plate for the gasses to work upon.

The comparatively small gas volume and low exit pressure and velocity of pistol propellant gasses makes it more window dressing and hindrance than help. Brakes with holes on top and a strike plate work great on a Contender pistol in 7-30 Waters. A 9mm not very well.....and this isn't even an effective brake. Add it all up and it does nothing well and several things poorly.

ko41
01-23-2016, 11:21 AM
This is my experience with the S&W PC Shield in .40 S&W your experience with 9mm may be different.

Blinding muzzle flash........Just not true unless maybe you're shooting a short barrel 460 or .500 but I haven't shot either one of those so I can not say whether or not that is true either. I have a S&W PC Shield in .40 S&W, there is a soft reddish yellow V shaped flash from the ports that is so quick and dim that is does not impair my night vision at all. Noise....the porting may direct some more noise back toward the shooter, but in a time of need do you think you would really notice it? Fire a non-ported pistol indoors without hearing protection, I bet your ears will be ringing just as much as if it had been ported. For me, porting on the .40 S&W PC Shield has the benefit of reduced muzzle rise and perceived recoil vs. my M&P 40C. Plus I can practice more without getting fatigued as with other compact/lightweight .40 S&W pistols.

In the end does it make a hill of beans difference from 9ft away to smell their breath close? Probably not, but for quicker more accurate follow up shots at longer combat distances, yes.

KO

Pumpkinheaver
01-23-2016, 11:42 AM
I'm not a big fan of defensive pistols with ported barrels. Range toy or competition yes but stuff comes out of those ports at high velocity and should it be fired close to the body in an emergency it could cause injury.

foxtrotter
01-24-2016, 08:45 PM
When I come across one in 9mm I'll probably be buying it. At the end of the day I don't see it being any worse on my ears than my 3" model 60 shooting 357's. My 44 special with 8 gr of Unique already blinds me at night, I'd expect my 357 loaded hot would to. The Shield already has a short barrel, so it's not like your trying to get max velocity, and with all the short barrel guns I've been around you're going to get enough muzzle flash to blind you anyway.

Ruger LCR is available in 9mm. I have one in 38 spl. and like it a lot.