PDA

View Full Version : I Am Not Crazy!!

Freightman
04-23-2008, 03:53 PM
Well that is to be seen, I have an overabundance of B-B's so I say what will it do if I drop one in the nose of a .312 LEE bollit? I cast 50 and to my surprise they all stayed in the nose which is the bottom when pouring, now I will load up some to take to range to see if they will shoot Friday.Here is a look at them, now some of the B-B's are copper and some are silver .

Marlin Junky
04-23-2008, 03:56 PM
No, you're not crazy yet. Are you planning to load those in a tubular magazine?

MJ

Freightman
04-23-2008, 03:57 PM
No in a 7.7 Arasaka.

Blammer
04-23-2008, 04:57 PM
pull out the BB and you have a HP. :)

cbr
04-23-2008, 05:20 PM
I tried that in a lee 8mm mauser mold and could not get the BB to stay centered in the nose. It wanted to float up if I had the mold hot, and the lead did not get all the way around the BB if the mold was not very hot. Any secrets as to how you did that? Maybe I need to try it again.

44man
04-23-2008, 06:13 PM
WHY? [smilie=1:

EDK
04-23-2008, 06:19 PM
Some one had a "super bullet" back in the late black powder/early smokeless era that had a deep hollow point and a bb as a plug. Similar in concept to HYDRA-SHOKS and some of the others by that designer. It had extremely hyped up advertising and testimonial, nineteenth century style.

Does the name HOXIE sound right? I remember reading about it somewhere a long time ago...in a book on swaging IIRC.

:cbpour::redneck::Fire:

uncle joe
04-23-2008, 06:29 PM
her ya go

HOXIE BULLET - Produced by the Hoxie Ammunition Company of Chicago from 1907 to the '30s. Their bullets were characterized by a small steel ball embedded in the tip to aid in expansion on contact Mostly used for centerfire rifle calibers, they were also used in .22 Winchester Automatic rimfires, and often require a magnet to detect.

NVcurmudgeon
04-23-2008, 06:34 PM
Wonder if the Hoxie bullet inspired Remington's Bronze Point?

Freightman
04-23-2008, 06:38 PM
I tried that in a lee 8mm mauser mold and could not get the BB to stay centered in the nose. It wanted to float up if I had the mold hot, and the lead did not get all the way around the BB if the mold was not very hot. Any secrets as to how you did that? Maybe I need to try it again.
I figured the B-B would float to the top so I used a LEE mould and didn't pre-heat, then turned the pot down to between 3-4 on a 20# Lee pot and it worked. And as far as why? why not! if I take things to seriously my blood pressure goes up and I will explode "what a mess". I do not watch the news on TV or listen to it on the radio I do not need the agravation as old as I am geting.
Think I will take some of the B-B's out to see what kind of HP it makes. Boys this is fun!

Blammer
04-23-2008, 08:23 PM
I was thinking if you took a #4 buckshot, that's pure lead, put it in the nose then poured the mould you'd have a soft expanding tip for sure.

cbr
04-24-2008, 07:51 AM
Freightman, thanks. I will have to give it a try again some day. I would think the BB in the end would make them expand, maybe a cheap alternative to a hollow point mold for a hunting bullet. Let us know how they shoot.

Freightman
04-25-2008, 07:26 PM
Will do! thought I was going to get to the range today but the man I work part time for wanted me to work for him today so he could get his camper ready to go to Turkey to the Bob Wills celebration. My wife has Saturday planed for me and Sunday is out hope for Monday.

Tracy
04-25-2008, 09:42 PM
Somebody, I think Winchester, used to make .25 ACP ammo with a BB embedded in the bullet nose.

Blammer, I have read an article (Lyman Cast Bullet Handbook?) about floating a steel syringe, loaded with soft lead, in the lead pot to inject a calibrated amount into the mould before filling it with the harder alloy. A simpler way would be to use a separate pot full of soft lead, and a small, calibrated dipper to drop the "nose charge". That would probably work even if you heat-treated the bullet, so long as the nose charge didn't have appreciable arsenic in it.

wills
04-25-2008, 09:54 PM
Somebody, I think Winchester, used to make .25 ACP ammo with a BB embedded in the bullet nose.

Blammer, I have read an article (Lyman Cast Bullet Handbook?) about floating a steel syringe, loaded with soft lead, in the lead pot to inject a calibrated amount into the mould before filling it with the harder alloy. A simpler way would be to use a separate pot full of soft lead, and a small, calibrated dipper to drop the "nose charge". That would probably work even if you heat-treated the bullet, so long as the nose charge didn't have appreciable arsenic in it.

or

http://www.mountainmolds.com/softnose.htm

buck1
04-25-2008, 09:56 PM
If nothing else it will be one heck of a BB gun! :)

Wayne Smith
04-26-2008, 10:59 AM
I have the Lyman 457122? Gould hollowpoint on order - backorder - from Midway. I plan to drop a lead .451 or .454 round ball in the nose to make a soft point. Read this idea here a bit ago. Unfortunately Midway has a lot of backorders now, so who knows when it will arrive??

DLCTEX
04-26-2008, 03:37 PM
For casting soft nosed boolits search the archives, there has been good work and reporting done on two part boolits already. But feel free to think and experiment on your own, then , let us know the results. DALE