PDA

View Full Version : MP molds and pins

RedHawk357Mag
01-21-2016, 01:20 AM
I was checking the status of the 358429 from the group buy and got to reading about the pins. Seems a few folks are interested in the penta pins. I haven't used mine yet on another mold I bought a while back. I think they make a nifty looking bullet and all from the pictures I have seen other casters post. I just haven't got around to pulling those tiny clips and changing the pentas in. What I was wondering is, are the pins interchangeable in a common bullet diameter? Or does each mold have a specific group of pins that will only work with that specific mold? Thanks.

white eagle
01-21-2016, 07:53 AM
I suspect that the pins will only fit the mold they are intended for
unless the blocks are the same size and cal,never tried it but
it seems reasonable
best on the penta is to look them over if you have a lot of
tool marks the boolits may stick,just smooth em' out you'll be fine

RedHawk357Mag
01-21-2016, 11:09 AM
When I get the new mold I will have to check it out. I don't currently have two of the same caliber. I suppose some careful measurements of the different pins will probably tell the story as well.

rintinglen
01-21-2016, 12:54 PM
The pins are specific to the particular bullet mold due to the differences in length of the boolits. They will only interchange if the boolits are exactly the same length. My experience with the pentapoint pins was less satisfactory than with the regular hp pins.

RedHawk357Mag
01-21-2016, 06:53 PM
Thanks Rintinglen, that makes sense. I have read the same about the pentas. My other mold the 359640 had them available but I haven't used them myself. The shallow HP worked really well and never saw a need to change it up. Thanks all.

FLYCUTTER
01-21-2016, 11:01 PM
Whoever is grinding those pins for Mihec should change the grinding wheel to a finer grit. I smooth them out with some 400 paper and they don't stick in the mold.

dkf
01-22-2016, 01:16 AM
They are most likely milled on a lathe with live tooling, not ground. I agree they are kinda rough, I smooth mine also. Should take more roughing passes then a finishing pass with separate endmills. Though the live tooling on some lathes is not very rigid at all producing rather poor surface finishes.