PDA

View Full Version : Need advice on value of misc levers

762 shooter
01-20-2016, 07:40 PM
A buddy of mine has accumulated quite a number of older lever guns. He is trying to get a handle on what they are worth and would like to thin the herd. He is a retired machinist and does not reload or cast.

What would be the best way to get an idea of current prices?

I would be perfectly happy to let the combined knowledge base here give their best estimate. I can provide pics and my best description of condition one or two at the time. I tried Gunbroker but I'm not sure of exactly what he has. Need the experts.

I think he has three 1873 Winchesters 38WCF, 38, 38.
He has three 1894 Winchesters 30WCF, 25-35, 30WCF.
One 94 Winchester nickle saddle model 30WCF
One Winchester 1895, 30 US
4 Marlins , 32-40, 38-40, 25-20
One Whitney 44.

Born on dates appear to be late 1800's to early 1900's.

His safe is full of history.

wv109323
01-20-2016, 10:12 PM
Those guns need a professional appraisal. There is so many options and variations that affect the price. Also the market is probably the most volatile of any firearm on the market.

lobogunleather
01-21-2016, 06:37 PM
Fair market value is always what a willing buyer will pay and a willing seller will accept, neither party acting under duress.

With vintage and antique firearms the cardinal rule is condition, second only to rarity. Assuming that these are all commonly produced specimens, only condition remains to be considered.

Your friend can easily consign these pieces to an auction house, and upon sale he will expect to receive about 75 to 80% of auction proceeds. If the auction is well advertised and draws significant interest that may be worth pursuing.

Your friend may consign these pieces to a local dealer. Exposure will be limited to local buyers. Most dealers will charge about 20% of sale price, and it may take a year or two for the guns to go away. Be sure to utilize only those dealers who can be expected to remain in business and honor their obligations.

Your friend may offer these guns on GunBroker.com or similar sites. This will achieve wide exposure and will be likely to draw significant interest and bidding for significantly interesting pieces. Then your friend will have to deal with shipping, insurance, and FFL requirements.

Key issues are: (1) what are the specifics of these guns, (2) what is the actual condition of each, (3) what is the range of market value, (4) your friend's motivation (does he need to sell now, or is he content to ride the market for a year of two to achieve maximum payment).

Lots of variables to be considered.

pietro
01-21-2016, 09:46 PM

The devil's (or the rewards) in the details............................

To realize their true value, each rifle would need clarification as to "what" they actually are, instead of model & caliber designations only.

Like:

Models: "Rifle", "Carbine", "Sporting Rifle", "Musket" & more.

Barrels: Types (round, octagon, half-round/octagon, takedown), lengths, & bore condition.

Stocks: Types (straight or pistol grip), and any known defects like: refinished, gouged, dented, cracked, etc.

Condition: Remaining percentage of 100% original factory new condition, any rust, cracks, bluing loss, etc - plus the disclosure of any known mechanical defects.

Features: The existence (or not) of verifiable factory Special Order features (a specific few, some, many), sight type.

FYI:

.38WCF & .38 = .38-40

.30 US = .30-40 Krag

.30WCF = .30-30

.44 = .44-40/.44WCF

Their true value is how much somebody would actually pay - TODAY (or fairly recently), and not how much was once upon a time paid, for a similar gun, whenever.

Once those clarifications are in hand, absolutely the best way to determine the true value of each would be to place them (separately) in a widely-attended, guns-only auction, typically online at the likes of gunbroker, gunauction, etc - or in a Nationally-renowned brick & mortar gun auction house like Julia, Rock Island & others.

The 2nd best way to determine true value would be to surf ONLY sold/closed guns-only auctions for a like gun in similar condition, to find out how much they actually sold for (recently).

Please keep in mind the auction "opening bids", "starting bids", "Buy it Now" (BIN) prices, "reserve price", etc are NOT a value - they are what some seller (who may or may not be educated on their true value) is hoping to get for whatever.

labradigger1
01-21-2016, 10:38 PM
I haven't even seen the 1895 Krag and I'm already in love.

Coogs
01-22-2016, 12:24 AM
Tough call, some good advice about Gun Broker or the like. Dad always said "that something was worth what ever someone was willing to pay for it" JMHO, Coogs.

clum553946
01-22-2016, 09:32 PM
Post pics! Would love to see them!

Suo Gan
01-30-2016, 12:15 AM
No idea about condition or models. Just generically speaking from my perspective is that the 73s will fetch 3k each, the 94 1.5k, the Krag $500, the 92 2k.

Could be a lot more. I don't think much less.

But you know that one of those could bring enough to justify buying at least a current price guide and doing some research. Some of these go for tens of thousands each.

M-Tecs
01-30-2016, 02:02 AM
Winchester 1895, 30 US normally start at about $1,000.00 and go up depending on condition.

Shawlerbrook
01-30-2016, 07:23 AM
With a stash like that you definitely need a professional appraisal . Best bet for optimal return would be either an online or specialized onsite auction.

Shawlerbrook
01-30-2016, 07:41 AM
I think the reason is that this is a limited, niche market item. Only a few of us willing to pay $1000's for something that a gun costing $100's will do. Like buying expensive works of art as opposed to a painting at a big box store. Oops, this went in the wrong place !

762 shooter
01-30-2016, 10:04 AM
Thanks guys for the replies. I bought the new Fjestads 36th Edition and we spent the afternoon pretending we knew what we were doing. I suggested he contact someone with a little more experience to value them.

They were all beautiful rifles with good to shiny bores. Condition is a very subjective term but makes a lot of difference in the price. I also suggested he contact the Cody museum for letters.

We came up with about $30K for the 14 rifles.

I felt privileged to touch such history.

In another thread I asked about a 1881 Marlin 28" that I now think is in 40-60. It has been heavily buffed and reblued and has no caliber markings but the muzzle pin gauges at .401. I may get to play with this one.