PDA

View Full Version : What's that yellow guck in my pot?

Dusty Miller
10-16-2005, 02:08 PM
I've got an RCBS bottom pour pot. I use a commercial #2 alloy (never used wheel weights) and flux with Marvelux. My pot gets encrusted with a yellow guck that I have to scrape out with a screw driver from time to time. Does anybody know what this stuff is and if another flux would keep it from forming?

porkchop bob
10-16-2005, 04:33 PM
Dusty, It sounds like arsenic contamination (yellow slag). I do not have a suggestion for flux. As it is in the alloy you are melting, perhaps you just need to run the pot hotter to keep it from separating. Just a guess.

Bob

David R
10-16-2005, 08:05 PM
I can't be sure, but marvelux is useless to me. It used to cake up on my stirring spoon and dipper. When I put the spoon in the pot, it would bubble and groan because the crust that built up on it had absorbed moisture. If YOU really like the marvelux, you can have the rest of the one can I bought and used twice.

Clean everything, and try a differnt flux. You might be surprised. I use some corncob out of my tumbler and some boolit lube. Hardwood sawdust would be better. I don't do much wood.

David

762cavalier
10-19-2005, 03:43 PM
I'm having the same problem with my lee bottom pour pot. I'm having to scrape the yellow gunk out of the bottom of the pot because it has actually plugged the spout hole.was going to post about it but read this one first. I'm not using marvelux and have just used bullet lube to flux with. been using cleaned wheel weight metal poured into ingots. was also wondering if anyone has any suggestions to clean the gunk out of the spout.

yammerschooner
10-20-2005, 11:24 PM
I have been using a safety pin to dig stuff out of the pour spout while it is hot. If you do this, use gloves. If not, YOU WILL eventually burn your fingers on either the pot or the hot lead. Once I get it flowing, I let it run into an aluminum muffin tray to wash the rest of the junk through.

My casting experience is very limited, as I have only been at it since august or so. I have scraped out quite a bit of the yellow gunk, but have never ran my pot completely empty.

BTW: I use clean ingots made from ww in my pot and flux with the lifetime supply of old candles that a buddy's wife got as "I can't throw them away" christmas presents and such. Evidently, my hobby was the perfect excuse to clean out the many drawers full she had accumulated over the years.

Ugly candles make good flux. I will never look at christmas the same way. If I didn't have so many candles, I would probably wonder from time to time if I am too liberal with their use.

Paul B
10-23-2005, 07:55 PM
When my pot gets all gunked up, I run it hot and drain all the lead out.I let it cool down enough to fill it to within about 3/4" of the top and set the heat at about three on the dial. Let it come to a boil and adjust the heat accrodingly to keep it boiling without coming over the sides. After about five minutes, uske one of those steel or brass bristled brushed that look like an oversized tooth brush and gently scrub the side for a couple of minutes. Turn off the pot and let cool. Dispose of the water in a safe manner. I guarantee the insides of that pot wil just about look like new.
Paul B.

floodgate
10-23-2005, 11:16 PM
Paul:

I tried that, but I had to bypass the thermostat to get the wheelweight mix to boil. Then, when I put the brush in, it melted and burst into flame. What did I do wrong? AK!..Gag!...clunk....

gateflood

yammerschooner
10-23-2005, 11:27 PM
Paul:

I tried that, but I had to bypass the thermostat to get the wheelweight mix to boil. Then, when I put the brush in, it melted and burst into flame. What did I do wrong? AK!..Gag!...clunk....

gateflood

HAHAHAHAHA (no malice in this laugh)

Thanks for the mental picture!

I think he said that he filled it up with water.

floodgate
10-23-2005, 11:59 PM
yammer...:

" I think he said that he filled it up with water"

Ackshully, he didn't, at least not "up front". Later on, he did.

But I wuz jest funnin'....time to pour the wine and go for the hot tub

etagdoolf

yammerschooner
10-24-2005, 12:03 AM
A glass of wine and a hot tub sounds like the ticket to paradise right now. Too bad tomorrow is a work day for me.

Time for a toothbrush and a pillow at my house.

Take care