PDA

View Full Version : Thinking about 6X scope on '06, too much?

Brother_Love
01-20-2016, 01:09 PM
I have a nice sporterized 03 that has a older Williams scope mount. Because of the mount you cannot get the scope back far enough to get the proper view through the Redfield 2-7x. I am looking at placing an older Weaver K6 on the rifle because it is long enough to be positioned correctly and it is more "period" matched to the 03. It is mostly a target gun at 100 yds and occasionally I hunt with it.

Too much scope?

Thanks, BL

Uncle Jimbo
01-20-2016, 01:17 PM
For many years when I hunted, I used a 6X scope on my 06. It was nice and I would do it again. I used a Redfield widefield 6x50. Gave that rifle to my granddaughter and she still hunts with it. :D

baogongmeo
01-20-2016, 01:22 PM
Since my area of MO. has gone to a 4 point rule I've been hunting with my 3x9 set on 9x on my 700 30-06. I used to hunt on 3x but now need the extra magnification to make sure of the number of points.
I think that you'll be fine.

Hardcast416taylor
01-20-2016, 01:52 PM
Being that the reciever is already drilled and tapped for that William`s mount you could remove it and put a different mount on that would let you use your current scope. I had a 1 piece William`s mount for about 5 years on an `06. I finally got tired of it and put a 2 piece Leupold mount on that could use an extended ring set for moving the scope further back. For hunting where the shots may never exceed 100 yds the 6x is a bit too much where a 4x is about right. To each his own though on which scope is best.Robert

Brother_Love
01-20-2016, 01:58 PM
Robert,
I was going that route but discovered the holes are different and I do not want to d/t again and end up with more holes in my rifle. Is there a 2 piece mount available for a 03 action?
Thanks everyone

Scharfschuetze
01-20-2016, 03:30 PM
I think that 6X is now the fixed power of choice from what I see at the range during the pre-season sight in days and it should work just fine, particularly if the eye relief is proper for your mount. I do find that many hunters who normally only shoot off of a bench rest have their scopes positioned too far back for hunting and when using various field positions. You might try that 2X7 Redfield from kneeling, sitting and prone positions, all of which place your eye much closer to the ocular lens than when shooting off of a bench rest.

Too bad that your 2X7 Redfield does not have enough eye relief as it stands. That's a pretty good scope and just about the perfect size and power range for a hunting rifle in Ought-Six.

Kevinakaq
01-20-2016, 03:42 PM
I have a Leupold 6x on my Rem700 in 30-06. Always thought it was a good match. I do have 4x's on most of my other guns though.

chutesnreloads
01-20-2016, 06:37 PM
Only problem would be making a quick shot especially at close range.

Hardcast416taylor
01-20-2016, 09:41 PM
A William`s mount hole pattern shouldn`t be different from other makers hole pattern. I would bet that either Leupold or Redfield 1 piece mounts would match what was done for the Williams work, a gunsmith in a decent shop can better tell you what hole pattern will work for you. I probably have the terminology wrong about what welding process that can fill in unwanted holes, Tig welding I think. Several years back I had unwanted holes in a 1917 Enfield welded up and new holes d&t for a top mount, works like a charm. I`d stay with a decent quality 2x7 variable scope to cover the range of powers you might need to use.Robert

waksupi
01-20-2016, 10:01 PM
Robert,
I was going that route but discovered the holes are different and I do not want to d/t again and end up with more holes in my rifle. Is there a 2 piece mount available for a 03 action?
Thanks everyone

I have been known to cut the one piece, and make them two piece.

nekshot
01-21-2016, 10:31 AM
I love 6x scopes but in close they are hairy. I shot a buck one time at 20 feet with a 6 power and I had to really play it smart because everything was brown in scope, so I scoped ahead of him and got the horizontal hair right for his heart and when he stepped into the sight I sqeezed when I assumed it would be perfect time and the bullet went thru his heart. I would rather not do that again.

Blammer
01-21-2016, 08:33 PM
I consider a straight 6x to be about the perfect size for a deer hunting rifle.

Brother_Love
01-23-2016, 01:01 PM
Well, the K6 is in the safe and I went with a older Weaver K4 with a post and crosshair. I can always go back the K6 later if I want to.

Thanks for all the input. BL

DCM
01-23-2016, 10:31 PM
I love 6x scopes but in close they are hairy. I shot a buck one time at 20 feet with a 6 power and I had to really play it smart because everything was brown in scope, so I scoped ahead of him and got the horizontal hair right for his heart and when he stepped into the sight I sqeezed when I assumed it would be perfect time and the bullet went thru his heart. I would rather not do that again.

YUP!! Learned that the hard way with a 4 power at 30 yards last season! Got it done but I sure wished for less magnification as I could not see the big picture.