PDA

View Full Version : best "cheap" AR15 kit

sghart3578
01-20-2016, 11:24 AM
Hello friends,

I have an AR15 receiver that my son bought a couple of years ago. He wants me to join the black rifle crowd. Other than shooting his Ruger the only time I have fired anything like an AR was when I qualified in 1979. I am a blackpowder/lever action type.

But with the way things are going I figure it can't hurt to have one.

What would you fellas recommend as a kit to complete this project? I have looked at Delton, Palmetto State Armory, etc. but after a couple of hours of reading I am more confused than ever.

Are there vendors to steer clear of? If so, you can PM me instead of posting in the forum if you like.

Any help and advice will be appreciated.

Steve in N CA

dragon813gt
01-20-2016, 11:41 AM
If you want cheap, buy parts when they are on sale. You can pick up higher end parts for the price of cheaper ones if you do this. This will take time. So if you want to buy everything at once you will be paying more.

PSA usually takes a while to ship parts. So just be aware of this. Primary Arms pretty much ships same day. JSE Surplus is a good place to get parts cheaper as well. A lot of them are no name but I've had no issues w/ them.

Electric88
01-20-2016, 11:41 AM
Depends on how deep you want to go into building your own lol. A quick and easy way of doing it is to buy the stock, buffer tube and lower parts kit from wherever and then just buy a completed upper to slap on. I've had good interactions with Radical Firearms for complete uppers. A lower parts kit you can buy from pretty much anybody, I've used Andersons, Spikes, and others and they all work fine. Important thing to remember when buying the stock and buffer tube is that there are either mil-spec or commercial buffer tubes. There is a difference between the two, and they won't intermingle. I've seen more support for mil-spec buffer assemblies. Or you can buy an m4 clone stock/buffer combo for something like $60 from Primary Arms or someone else online.

Or you could truly build your own, selecting your own barrel, rail, etc. I've done both, and both are fun :D I typically spend more when I build from the ground up though haha

nagantguy
01-20-2016, 12:10 PM
If your asking about lower parts kits, I'd have to say my best luck to date has been with palmetto state kits. Been using then for a long time only be a use I stumbled upon a deal on several kits for one price, and I have to say they are as nice as any I've used. Two years ago palmetto state caused lots of anger with slow shipping and selling out of stock items as in stock, burned me on some Christmas gifts that didn't come until February. But have since corrected their ways and I'm still comfortable recommending their kits.

nagantguy
01-20-2016, 12:24 PM
Also don't worry about not being a black rifle expert, the field is awash in makers parts and accessories, most are good If you get a junk component it'll show itself quickly and is easily replaced. Building one is simple, some punches, a armours wrench and a vice and vice block are all the tools you'll need and just on YouTube there is a thousand hours of build videos, you alluded to some military service, if that's the case and you were issued a m16 the manual of arms and normiclature are still the same. I think you will be surprised at how accurate and fun the black rifle can be. And there are so many caliber and component options ,example, a me upper, a heavy barreled upper for coyotes and wood chucks, and a 300 balckout upper for deer and pigs with or without a can (suppressor ) all on one lower, all can use the same bolt carrier group changed back and forth with two pins. If your a lever gun guy than 300, 450 bushmaster and 458 socom will float your boat!

Boolit_Head
01-20-2016, 12:31 PM
Most of the cheap kits are just that, Cheap parts. You might not save but you can get better parts shopping sales and assembling yourself. Black Friday and Christmas sales this last year were pretty good. I am not sure when the next round of good sales might be.

Clay M
01-20-2016, 12:36 PM
Palmetto State Armory has some nice kits for the money.

dragonrider
01-20-2016, 01:19 PM
I bought a lower from Palmetto and a this complete upper from Surplus Ammo
http://www.surplusammo.com/saa-budget-series-5-56-nato-complete-upper-receiver-customizable/

wrench man
01-21-2016, 12:34 AM
I've got two Delton rifle kits, VERY pleased with them, i got a lower build kit from PSA, the stock was sloppy on the buffer tube and I swear the trigger is the most horrid one I ever pulled!?, both were swapped out even before I shot the rifle, don't believe I'll purchase from them again?, plus they NEVER seem to have anything in stock?

Vann
01-21-2016, 01:37 AM
Daytona Tactical, about as cheap as you can get.

Garyshome
01-21-2016, 02:09 AM
Head on over to Thunderguns for some good deals on uppers, looks like obama is at it again, the prices are up a little since the last time I was there
http://discountpartsandmore.com/

Daytona Tac. they have some pretty good deals also.
http://daytonatactical.com/

osteodoc08
01-21-2016, 08:13 AM
PSA-Palmetto State Armory

I'd look for one of their rifle kits that use the premium barrel. This is where the money is on their kits and is the right place to put it. Those FN CHF barrels are as good as they get for the price.

flint45
01-22-2016, 06:15 PM
Del-Ton kits from Midway have been good.

Lloyd Smale
01-23-2016, 09:50 AM
I put together a gun with model 1 parts on a colt lower. It wasn't really a budget build as I used a stainless barrel but it was a real shooter when it was done. Its still my favorite ar.

sghart3578
01-23-2016, 05:59 PM
Thank you guys, you were all very helpful. This morning I got off the fence and bought a kit from Palmetto State Armory.

http://palmettostatearmory.com/psa-16-mid-length-5-56-nato-1-8-stainless-steel-freedom-rifle-kit.html

I will post a review and my impressions if you guys are interested. I have some factory ammo already and some reloads I put together for my son's Ruger.

Thanks again,

Steve in N CA

Lonegun1894
01-24-2016, 06:42 AM
I have the same exact kit you bought except with the 1:7" twist barrel instead of your 1:8". I think you'll be very happy. My only complaint is that the handguard is oval instead of round like what I am used to, but that isn't a big deal. Shoots great!

Lonegun1894
01-24-2016, 06:47 AM
I just put a removable carry handle with standard rear sight on it cause I'm a dinosaur. What are you putting on it if you don't mind me asking?

6bg6ga
01-24-2016, 08:30 AM
First of all there is no best cheap kit. All function and work fine. You can however ask for vendors that seem to supply a quality part or section at a decent price.

I have assembled a file in order to obtain a quality build at a cost effective price. For a stripped upper I go with Radical Firearms for a upper minus the bolt and charging handle.
The charging handle has me going to Rousch Sports. The bolt assembly Surplus Ammo. Door and forward assist if needed Rousch sports. The buffer tube assy and stock Surplus Ammo.
THe lower parts group Aero Precision. A lower is going to come from my local gun shop and will be an Anderson. Magazines... whatever works and is cost effective.

If buying a barrel I go to Radical Firearms and a rail Monstrum Tactical.

The above is the best combination that I have come up with.

6bg6ga
01-24-2016, 08:34 AM
Thank you guys, you were all very helpful. This morning I got off the fence and bought a kit from Palmetto State Armory.

http://palmettostatearmory.com/psa-16-mid-length-5-56-nato-1-8-stainless-steel-freedom-rifle-kit.html

I will post a review and my impressions if you guys are interested. I have some factory ammo already and some reloads I put together for my son's Ruger.

Thanks again,

Steve in N CA

So, your build will be in the $500-550 range depending on the lower you pick.

Elkins45
01-24-2016, 08:56 AM
Brownell's ran a deal where you could buy 10 magazines and a lower parts kit for a pretty good price and I picked one of those up right after the Aurora theater shooting. I eventually just bought a lower so I could use the parts kit. I figure if it's from Brownell's then I don't have to worry about the quality. I made a pistol lower.

MrWolf
01-24-2016, 09:43 AM
Been waiting for Joeboboutfitters to get back in stock the Radical Firearms 458 Socom complete upper for $450. They were in and out last time so fast I missed it.

Clay M
01-24-2016, 12:04 PM
Brownell's ran a deal where you could buy 10 magazines and a lower parts kit for a pretty good price and I picked one of those up right after the Aurora theater shooting. I eventually just bought a lower so I could use the parts kit. I figure if it's from Brownell's then I don't have to worry about the quality. I made a pistol lower.

Also the nice thing about Brownell's is their lifetime satisfaction guarantee.
That makes it worth the extra money.

osteodoc08
01-24-2016, 12:08 PM

Thanks again,

Steve in N CA

I bought this as a complete gun a few years ago. Scoped it and shot sub MOA with 50 and 55gr Vmaxs. Ended up putting a 300 BLk upper on the lower and it's my plinking gun for 300 BLK.

Youll like it. Good choice.

izzyjoe
01-24-2016, 12:33 PM
My neighbor bought a complete delton upper kit from midway for $399, and then purchased a lower here in town for $75. So he has less than $500 in it, but then you'll need some sights. Theses things are addictive! I had plans on building another using an 80 percent lower, but for the price I can't see it, with the extra work to be done to it, it doesn't make any sense to me. I'll just buy a lower for $75 and move on!

sghart3578
01-24-2016, 01:14 PM
I just put a removable carry handle with standard rear sight on it cause I'm a dinosaur. What are you putting on it if you don't mind me asking?

Lonestar:

I am also leaning towards a carry handle for the retro look. I am shopping for one now.

sghart3578
01-24-2016, 01:17 PM
So, your build will be in the $500-550 range depending on the lower you pick.

To 6bg6ga:

I actually have a lower already. I bought it for my youngest son a year or two ago for his build. Instead of building he went with a Ruger SR556. Nice rifle.

So now I just need a magazine and a rear sight. I am shopping for a carry handle now.

And I appreciate your comment on there not being a best, cheap kit. That is why I put the word cheap in quotes. I don't mind paying for quality stuff. But I am new to the AR club and I didn't want to overspend when I didn't have too.

As usual, you guys have been great.

Clay M
01-24-2016, 01:48 PM
It is surprising how well the less expensive AR's shoot.
I don't need a White Oak Armament barrel ,if I am not going to be shooting matches.

If I buy anything else it will be a Rock River Arms 20" Varmint barrel upper with the Wylde chamber.
Not cheap though.

Lonegun1894
01-24-2016, 05:23 PM
Lonestar:

I am also leaning towards a carry handle for the retro look. I am shopping for one now.

I went ahead and spent the money for a DPMS carry handle, a bit more expensive, but worth it after I looked over a couple Aim Sports ones a shop had here locally. Finish was a joke, adjustments were sloppy, I just didn't trust it, but hopefully the one I saw here was a bad example or something. After looking around more recently, I think I overpaid for my carry handle, but I got what I wanted and don't have to wonder if it will stay zeroed like I would have if I had gotten the sloppy one I saw on the shelf here.

GabbyM
01-24-2016, 06:59 PM
Usually get what you pay for with those sights.

I bought an Olympic carry handle a few years back. Then learned there is a civilian version and a military. Civilian is I think an older setup pre dating military use of flat tops receivers. So it's shorter height by somethin like .045" to line up with a non F marked front sight post. What a pain.

W.R.Buchanan
01-26-2016, 11:06 PM
I have a lower I bought when the frenzy was going and Icouldn't find parts to complete it so I ended up buying a complete gun instead. Still have the lower and will buy a Delton Kit with "options."

A3 flattop 20" Rifle, Pencil Barrel with chrome plated bore, 1:9 is fine. I want Magpul furniture so that will cost extra. The kit will end up costing about $550 when done. All the interior parts are easily massaged so that they work well and it is no big trick to stone a trigger sear and install a Brownell's Spring kit. I'll need Service Rifle Rear Sight as the gun is intended to shoot NM.

Delton's stuff is as good as any. AR parts are somewhat generic in nature, and not until you get in to the high dollar stuff is there any real difference in performance. Even then, the vast majority of people can't tell the difference, and since they aren't shooting enough to reap the benefits of those high dollar parts, I see no reason for them in the first place. The basic stuff is pretty good and will outlast most of the people shooting these guns.

AR's are like VW Beetles were in the 60's and 70's. There was so much aftermarket stuff available it is mind boggling.

My Brother just came to me and wanted to buy two AR's for him and his son. I recommended Ruger AR556's. He paid $650 for each and they run great. These are basic no frills AR's that have everything you need and nothing more. More than good enough to get him, his son and wife thru Firearms Training and for defensive purposes.

The AR Platform has a fairly complex Manual of Arms and Concentrating on Gun Handling and Marksmanship Skills is a far better use of your money than sinking $1500+ in a gun you can't run well. It's not hard to see that being competent with a $600 gun is better than being incompetent with a $1500 gun.

All I have to do now is get him and his family to Front Sight for training... Much more important than a chrome plated bolt carrier!

Randy

Electric88
01-27-2016, 07:42 AM
Been waiting for Joeboboutfitters to get back in stock the Radical Firearms 458 Socom complete upper for $450. They were in and out last time so fast I missed it.

Check with Primary Arms, they might have some. Or Radical themselves, though the price is a tad bit higher. You won't be disappointed though. I have a 50 beowulf from them that is just awesome!

starnbar
01-27-2016, 08:33 AM
LRB had their lowers on sale a while back they were 49.95 plus shipping that's a good price for a quality lower.

Boolit_Head
01-27-2016, 08:50 AM
I highly recommend looking for a lower locally, they sometimes are on sale around 39 bucks and you avoid the transfer fee and shipping. Picked up both of mine that way.

Electric88
01-27-2016, 09:17 AM
I highly recommend looking for a lower locally, they sometimes are on sale around 39 bucks and you avoid the transfer fee and shipping. Picked up both of mine that way.

I second this. Probably the only reason I would go to a gun show anymore is to buy a lower. Sometimes I can find a decent one for less than the LGS. I have purchased lowers via the internet before, but typically when it was a good deal even after shipping and transfer fees.

white eagle
01-27-2016, 10:04 AM
Hello friends,

I have an AR15 receiver that my son bought a couple of years ago. He wants me to join the black rifle crowd. Other than shooting his Ruger the only time I have fired anything like an AR was when I qualified in 1979. I am a blackpowder/lever action type.

But with the way things are going I figure it can't hurt to have one.

What would you fellas recommend as a kit to complete this project? I have looked at Delton, Palmetto State Armory, etc. but after a couple of hours of reading I am more confused than ever.

Are there vendors to steer clear of? If so, you can PM me instead of posting in the forum if you like.

Any help and advice will be appreciated.

Steve in N CA

I was in the exact same spot as you a couple of years ago
my son as well wanted to build an AR together and fearing the
worst from the Obama administration I agreed to build one
it is quite interesting once you got started just buy good quality parts
and you will have a fine rifle, cheap parts aren't always the best
enjoy the journey

nekshot
01-27-2016, 10:11 AM
surprised no one mentioned MidStates, my son bought his upper from them and will get more as money allows! Great service.

MrWolf
01-27-2016, 10:19 PM
Check with Primary Arms, they might have some. Or Radical themselves, though the price is a tad bit higher. You won't be disappointed though. I have a 50 beowulf from them that is just awesome!

Thanks. I keep thinking the same thing and just get directly from Radical but I am cheap :wink:

swmass
01-28-2016, 01:18 AM
Keep on top of Palmetto State Armory's website! They run "rifle kit" sales that include a complete Palmetto (NOT ptac) upper with BCG, along with a lower parts kit, buffer tube, stock, all Palmetto brand. Literally everything you will need to build an AR besides the stripped lower. I believe the PSA upper even comes with an FN barrel. The whole kit typically runs 399-499. A buddy of mine recently purchased a 16 inch kit with just plain jane furniture for $399. Throw an anderson stripped lower on there and your into the whole thing for around 500 bucks said and done. Leaves a lot of room for ammo versus a "high end" build.

If you aren't a huge AR guy, look online at some videos of whose producing the parts....There is really only a few places cranking out AR parts and they are just stamped different and prices jacked up accordingly. I believe Palmetto State Armory has contracts in which they are not to disclose who is providing their parts. Although it says Palmetto on it, it was likely built by a company such as colt. Then that company effectively gets a foothold in the lower end market... and then stamps their name on their own higher end ARs and takes a chunk out of the higher end market as well. Its a touchy subject and I could catch some flak but theres a lot of info out there on it and I believe it:Fire:

That all said I've had nothing but great luck with PSA and heard nothing but good things! Hope I didnt open up a can of worms :mrgreen:

swmass
01-28-2016, 01:26 AM
Ha, maybe I should read the thread a little closer. That is the exact kit I was referring to that a buddy of mine purchased. Happy shooting!

sghart3578
01-28-2016, 10:20 AM
Hello guys,

Palmetto State has already shipped my kit. It is due here on Tuesday. As it happens that is my son's day off and I will be spending the day with my wife at her chemo appointment.

He will sign for the package and, knowing him, he will have it assembled by the time we get home from the hospital.

By the end of next week we should have about 300-500 rounds through it and I will post the results and my impressions.

Thanks again,

Steve in N CA

lotech
01-28-2016, 10:48 AM
While this is related to the original thread, it's not in the same niche. However, I pose this question here as it's obvious there are some quite knowledgeable responders on this forum.

I own no AR-15 -type firearm. However, if I chose to buy one, "conventional wisdom" (not always a wise choice) seems to dictate buying the best quality and most desirable product or at least one of the best quality and most desirable products available. Of course, accuracy would certainly be a prime consideration.This would be a firearm that would hold its value comparatively well should resale be considered. Would Colt products be the best choice or are there better ones out there that fit the criteria?

Electric88
01-28-2016, 11:11 AM
While this is related to the original thread, it's not in the same niche. However, I pose this question here as it's obvious there are some quite knowledgeable responders on this forum.

I own no AR-15 -type firearm. However, if I chose to buy one, "conventional wisdom" (not always a wise choice) seems to dictate buying the best quality and most desirable product or at least one of the best quality and most desirable products available. Of course, accuracy would certainly be a prime consideration.This would be a firearm that would hold its value comparatively well should resale be considered. Would Colt products be the best choice or are there better ones out there that fit the criteria?

I don't necessarily care for colt ARs, but they would retain their value well enough. You would get similar value retention out of other respectable brands as well though, including Aero Precision, Spikes Tactical, Seekins Precision, Wilson Combat, etc but at different price points. Even the Smith and Wesson ARs hold their value moderately well.

Of course, next time there is a shooting or attempted gun-grab and people ravage gunstore shelves, you could theoretically sell whatever it is for a much higher price. Today's $500 AR could net you $1000 if that happened, just like it did after Sandy Hook. The problem with trying to sell an AR right now is that the market is saturated with AR manufacturers, and it would make it much harder to sell for the same value you paid for, regardless of the roll mark and name on the lower.

2wheelDuke
01-28-2016, 04:53 PM
You guys have me tempted to get on the notification list for a Radical 458 upper. I got an extra lower a few years ago that I planned on making into a big bore gun someday.

That's some damn expensive brass though.

Electric88
01-29-2016, 07:47 AM
Do it. Don't pause, just jump into the Big Bore AR game. It's a riot!

Seriously though, I can't say enough how much I love my 50 Beowulf from them. Brass is a little less expensive too. It's the gun that is requested most by friends when we go shooting.

osteodoc08
01-31-2016, 11:58 AM
It is surprising how well the less expensive AR's shoot.
I don't need a White Oak Armament barrel ,if I am not going to be shooting matches.

If I buy anything else it will be a Rock River Arms 20" Varmint barrel upper with the Wylde chamber.
Not cheap though.

Found a Stag Super Varmint with a 24" barrel on it for $800 OTD, which wasnt a super great awesome deal until you factor in that it already had scope mounts and a Magpul PRS stock on it. It shoots one ragged hole for 10 shots with 50 gr VMaxs.

Keep an eye out and you'll find a good deal.

I have a 20" Wilson stainless target bull barrel sitting in the basement waiting on a build. Just havent got around to it. That 24" stainless bull is heavy!

osteodoc08
01-31-2016, 12:02 PM
Hey Steve,

Did you ever get your AR?

osteodoc08
01-31-2016, 12:07 PM
Do it. Don't pause, just jump into the Big Bore AR game. It's a riot!

Seriously though, I can't say enough how much I love my 50 Beowulf from them. Brass is a little less expensive too. It's the gun that is requested most by friends when we go shooting.

Shot a friends 458 SOCOM and I have to admit, it was pretty dang awesome. 45/70 ballistics in an AR. Whats not to love?

Realistically though, My Marlin 1895 GG holds about the same number of rounds and I can load from mild to wild and function is dependent on my flip of the wrist, not gas. Sure was fun though.

xacex
01-31-2016, 12:20 PM
Radical firearms has really come up in the business over the last few years. Primary arms usually has their uppers for less than radical sells them for from their store. I have one of their 308 BCG's and it works just fine. No complaints. As for the 458, think of it as a 47/70 special. You will not get the velocity of the 45/70 in most loads. That is what pushed me to get a 50 Beowulf barrel. Unfortunately, the 12.7x42 or 50 Beo barrels are not cheap.

sghart3578
01-31-2016, 01:26 PM
Hey Steve,

Did you ever get your AR?

It is on the UPS truck and should be here Tuesday, the day after tomorrow. It is my son's day off so he plans to sign for it and assemble it for me while I am at work.

In the meantime I have been getting some ammo ready. I have 300 rounds of handloads and a few boxes of factory loads for the shakedown run.

This may sound silly, especially since I swore I would never get on the AR bandwagon, but I am actually kind of excited.

Steve in N CA

MrWolf
01-31-2016, 02:10 PM
You guys have me tempted to get on the notification list for a Radical 458 upper. I got an extra lower a few years ago that I planned on making into a big bore gun someday.

That's some damn expensive brass though.

Just remember I called Dibs first when only one comes in :bigsmyl2:

Blackwater
01-31-2016, 11:50 PM
Whatever you get, don't forget to load up on magazines, too. Semi-autos are VERY slow to load if you don't have spare loaded mags around and handy. My experience with AR's has been uniformly good, but I HAVE known folks who built their own who had functioning problems. If it were me, I think I'd order all internal lower parts from the same manufacturer. That way, there's more assurance they're spec'd to match up. Specs do vary on AR's from company to company, but not usually enough to make a whole lot of difference, it seems. Just something anyone building one should know. Function with this type rifle is paramount to all else! And don't forget the magazines. They're the "secret" to keeping them going, and heaven only knows what lies ahead for us these days. Even the unthinkable has become sadly thinkable!

Idaho Sharpshooter
02-01-2016, 12:22 AM
Blackwater is 100% correct. A couple years ago a friend and I split a hundred from Brownells. It is a comforting sight to see them all lined up, ready to go to work if need be.

W.R.Buchanan
02-03-2016, 11:36 PM

Lotech: before you dive in and spend a large amount of money looking for "Purported Quality." I would heavily recommend that you actually start looking at the various guns at gun stores.

I would recommend that you NOT buy anything from them, and definitely not let the BS that comes out of a salesman's mouth influence you in any way.

After you have looked a guns from the least expensive to most expensive, I want you to think about what the actual differences you could see for yourself were, and how they affect you. I would submit that they will not have anything to do with price.

A Delton AR or a Ruger AR556 are some of the least expensive and both are quality guns in their own rights. Daniel Defense is one of the most expensive and there is about $2000 difference in the price.

But can you, yourself, extract $2000 more value from the more expensive gun? Can you even extract $1000 more?

I submit you can't, and neither can anyone else who is not using that more expensive gun in a scenario that the benefits of that increased quality would show itself. IE Heavy Competition, or Combat.

AR's are like VW's from the 60's. There is so much aftermarket stuff available that you can make anyone of them into anything you want. There is a plethora of Furniture available, I like the Magpul stuff and their Magazines as well. 14 different outfits make drop in triggers, and Spring Kits. There are any number of optics and different kinds of sights. You can install a Chrome Plated Bolt Carrier if you really think you need that. There are 50 different Slings made for the gun or you can buy one of mine!

The point is, that in effect you are buying a Lower Receiver and maybe an Upper/Barrel Assembly, and then customizing it to your particular tastes. And you will end up with some piece parts left over.

But what you really should be doing is buying an entry level rifle and going to a Class to learn how to operate it and how it is used in a defensive role.

Then if you decide you want to continue down the "Tactical Path" you can upgrade what you have or pass it on and then buy the nicer gun, since now you will actually know why it is nicer, instead of relying on the price tag to tell you.

Believe me when I say that any AR, in todays climate, will hold it's value. However the more expensive gun will definitely be harder to sell and get your money back. If all you are going to do is plink or shoot paper targets with the gun then I submit that those cans won't know the difference if they are being shot with $600 gun or a $2600 gun.

If we have to go to War then I would submit that our enemies won't be able to tell the difference either. But if you learn how to run the gun and how to use it, you might just prevail in said conflict. That's where the training comes in. A gun is only as useful as the guy holding it.

A Practical Rifle Class at Front Sight will enlighten you greatly and after 4 days if you can't operate your new gun properly and hit what you aim at,,,, you should maybe take up Fly Fishing. But at least you wouldn't have a $2600 gun to try to get rid of. There are probably 500 $600 guns sold for every $2600 gun.

My main point here is for you to have a serious look at buying and inexpensive gun and then spending the rest on training at a reputable Firearms Training Facility. I hock Front Sight a lot here as I have been member there for 14 years now, but there are certainly other places that do a good job. They just don't run 80,000 people a year thru their classes like FS does. :Bright idea:

Hope some of this helps you decide.

Randy

sghart3578
02-04-2016, 06:45 PM
I have a short review and some observations.

I received the kit from Palmetto State Armory on Tuesday. My son assembled it with no problems. No missing parts. The upper was a nice, tight fit to my lower.

I was able to get in a quick range trip this morning. My son only had a couple of hours to spare. Plus, the weather here has the outdoor range under water so instead we went to our favorite indoor range. This limited the distance to 26 yards but we were more interested in the rifle's function at this point.

We fired a total of 200 rounds through it with zero malfunctions of any kind. This consisted of 20 rounds of new American Eagle 5.56 ammo in brass cases, 20 rounds of new Tula steel cased ammo, and 160 rounds of various .223 reloads from my stash.

The rifle was easy to shoot and reliable. I know that 200 rounds hardly qualifies as a torture test but so far so good.

Accuracy was very acceptable for me. I went with a standard A2 type carry handle for the rear sight and it zeroed easily. I went with a Leapers UTG handle. It was advertised as forged and was middle of the road cost wise.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/UTG-PRO-US-Made-Mil-spec-7075T6-Forged-Carry-Handle-Sight-TLURS001-Match-Grade-/272116046267?

When I bought the kit I chose a 1-8 twist as a compromise between 55 gr bullets and heavier weights. Initial accuracy testing is promising. These targets are at 26 yards, three shot groups.

In summary, I am very happy with my choice and would recommend it to any one. For a total of $510 I have a functional, accurate AR15 in 5.56. It may not stand up to 20,000 rounds of desert combat in Iraq but I am confident that it can gather game if necessary and also protect my home and family if needed.

Thanks again for all of your help and input.

Steve in N CA

osteodoc08
02-04-2016, 08:56 PM
Glad to hear you had a good experience. As you found out, it's very easy to go through some serious ammo quantities.

Ive had excellent luck with 50-55gr Vmaxs with 8208XBR and Benchmark.

sghart3578
02-04-2016, 11:48 PM
Glad to hear you had a good experience. As you found out, it's very easy to go through some serious ammo quantities.

Ive had excellent luck with 50-55gr Vmaxs with 8208XBR and Benchmark.

Thanks,

I will look into those.

Steve

W.R.Buchanan
02-05-2016, 03:57 PM
I received the kit from Palmetto State Armory on Tuesday. My son assembled it with no problems. No missing parts. The upper was a nice, tight fit to my lower.

I was able to get in a quick range trip this morning. My son only had a couple of hours to spare. Plus, the weather here has the outdoor range under water so instead we went to our favorite indoor range. This limited the distance to 26 yards but we were more interested in the rifle's function at this point.

We fired a total of 200 rounds through it with zero malfunctions of any kind. This consisted of 20 rounds of new American Eagle 5.56 ammo in brass cases, 20 rounds of new Tula steel cased ammo, and 160 rounds of various .223 reloads from my stash.

The rifle was easy to shoot and reliable. I know that 200 rounds hardly qualifies as a torture test but so far so good.

Accuracy was very acceptable for me. I went with a standard A2 type carry handle for the rear sight and it zeroed easily. I went with a Leapers UTG handle. It was advertised as forged and was middle of the road cost wise.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/UTG-PRO-US-Made-Mil-spec-7075T6-Forged-Carry-Handle-Sight-TLURS001-Match-Grade-/272116046267?

When I bought the kit I chose a 1-8 twist as a compromise between 55 gr bullets and heavier weights. Initial accuracy testing is promising. These targets are at 26 yards, three shot groups.

In summary, I am very happy with my choice and would recommend it to any one. For a total of $510 I have a functional, accurate AR15 in 5.56. It may not stand up to 20,000 rounds of desert combat in Iraq but I am confident that it can gather game if necessary and also protect my home and family if needed.

Thanks again for all of your help and input.

Steve in N CA

Steve: what you ended up with is exactly what and why I posted that long desertation on AR's above. The performance you are getting is more than acceptable, if not excellent for your uses with a $500 gun.

I would submit that your gun would fulfill the actual needs of 99% of AR shooters, and that point has been proven by your experience with that gun.

Like I said above, there is a Myriad of Piece Parts that you can add to your gun to customize it if you feel you need to, but starting out in the AR world is best done on the lower end of the spectrum, as opposed to buying an expensive gun and finding it is "what you thought you wanted, but then turned out to be not what you really need."

Randy

sghart3578
02-05-2016, 08:41 PM
Steve: what you ended up with is exactly what and why I posted that long desertation on AR's above. The performance you are getting is more than acceptable, if not excellent for your uses with a $500 gun.

I would submit that your gun would fulfill the actual needs of 99% of AR shooters, and that point has been proven by your experience with that gun.

Like I said above, there is a Myriad of Piece Parts that you can add to your gun to customize it if you feel you need to, but starting out in the AR world is best done on the lower end of the spectrum, as opposed to buying an expensive gun and finding it is "what you thought you wanted, but then turned out to be not what you really need."

Randy

Randy,

I couldn't agree more. I can appreciate a fine firearm as much as the next guy. I can also appreciate advanced machining, metallurgy, etc. I enjoy reading about advances in firearms design as well as advancements in all fields.

But I have been around guns for almost 50 years and I have learned that none of us push our guns anywhere close to what they are built to take. Maybe there are a group of real life operators who do and to those guys I apologize. But I will never get close to testing this rifle's limits.

The purpose of my thread was to build an acceptable rifle without overpaying. And with the help from you guys I think I did it.

Steve in N CA

DaveInFloweryBranchGA
02-09-2016, 08:44 PM
Steve,

I worked on M16A2's in the Army years ago and I've built or repaired many of them since then. I own the exact same kit you do, except I have aftermarket type furniture. I think you chose very, very well. Here's the only things I suggest you do:

1. Buy spare bolt parts, such as gas rings, extractor O-rings and extractor springs. Keep these as spares.
2. Buy 1 complete spare bolt.
3. Buy at least 10 30-round magazines, preferably some manufactured from a government supplier like D&H with a Magpul no-tilt follower.
4. Buy a good handful of straight stick 20 rounders, also from D&H to use at the range and as get in and out of the vehicle magazines.
5. Buy a simple sling to carry it with, just in ever need to. A padded one if you're old with a tender shoulder :) like me.

sghart3578
02-09-2016, 11:00 PM
Dave,

Thank you very much for the kind words. Coming from someone with your background it means something.

I will make a list of your suggested parts and start buying them right away.

Except for the mags. I am in California so I am limited to 10 rounds. (wink wink)

Thanks again,

Steve in N CA