PDA

View Full Version : Remington/Baikal double rifle. This will crack you up.

AbitNutz
01-20-2016, 10:55 AM
So I love large caliber anything. The king of large caliber rifles is a double rifle. I'll never be able to afford/own a real English double rifle. Maybe a Sabatti double rifle if I close my eyes.

In the mean time I picked up a Baikal MP-221 in 45/70. The sights are a bit weird. It has a plastic orange front sight that is adjustable for elevation. It was pretty eaten up from the previous owners tuning. It just screws in and out and looks to be about 6mm...looks almost exactly like a front sight for an AK-47....go figure. So that's what I bought to replace the chewed piece of orange plastic. I bought a KNS ring with duplex cross hairs for an AK. It screwed right in. Looks kinda cool too.

The replacement for the rear sight was almost as weird. The OEM is a blade that's adjustable for windage by loosening a locking screw and drifting it. The sight picture was pretty poor. It turns out Skinner makes a ghost ring that is made for a CZ rimfire that just slides right on the Baikal's rib. I wasn't clever in figuring this out. Skinner actually has a picture of this sight on a MP-221 on their website. The Skinner sight is adjustable for windage and elevation.

The sight picture is just awesome! I'm working on regulating the barrels, which is turning out to be a more fun than I expected. I'm glad I have a Lead Sled shooting rest because shooting many heavy loads of 45/70 out of 7lb rifle can tire on even the stoutest shoulder.

swamp
01-20-2016, 12:53 PM
I have one. I contacted Baikal about the threads on the front sight. The threads are not quite the same. The front sight is a black post. A bit hard to see sometimes. I figured to replace it with something a bit easier to see.

Thanks for the tip on the Skinner sight. I have a low power scope mounted on mine and it does well.

So far my trouble is wanting to break it open and reload after one shot. Need to get used to having a second shot. Mostly just plinking and fun shooting. Seems to do well with with 400gr spritzers and FN. The most fun are the collar buttons. Good plinkers.
swamp

AbitNutz
01-20-2016, 02:22 PM
I swear the threads are the same. The KNS AK sight went right down with no more resistance than the OEM. Before I found the KNS AK I ordered an original sight from EAA. It was on their website and I thought I would try it. It turned out to be metal, unlike the orange plastic one I had. As you know, it is super small and very dark.

I've had both sights in and out and the threads show no sign of abuse. The cool thing is that the KNS sight I chose is just one of more than a few that they offer. The KNS AK sight has a much longer thread post. At first I thought I would have to shorten it. Nope, it threads waaay down in...no shortening required, especially with the Skinner sight.

Thanks for the tip on the plinker loads. I'll give it a try. Plinking with a double rifle is just hilarious when you think about it.

Outpost75
01-20-2016, 03:59 PM
Pictures please!

swamp
01-20-2016, 06:20 PM
I figured I would get a set of the plastic AK/SKS sights and try them.I figured the threads are close enough that the plastic would give.

This is a pic of mine w/o scope.

swamp

nekshot
01-21-2016, 09:21 PM
I sure wish I had your problems!!! Maybe someday..

PS Paul
01-22-2016, 11:27 PM
Nice gun/reloading bench setup there, Swamp.

swamp
01-22-2016, 11:44 PM
Thank you.
swamp

brad925
01-24-2016, 02:18 PM
Just bought one 2 weeks ago. Have not had a chance to break the barrels in before shooting cast out of it. It will chamber everything including my 535gr lyman postell. I purchased a sightmark red dot but had to get an adapter to go from 3/8 dove tail to a picatinny but i need a raised cheek pad to get a proper cheek weld. Looking forward to shooting it.

Oneshot
02-22-2016, 09:35 PM
Brad where did you find the adapter from 3/8 dove tail to picatinny? Been looking for one for the last 2-3 years and haven't been able to find one. I want to put it on a Rossi mares leg. It shoots about a foot high at 25yds. I need to do something to put a sight on it that I can use.

Markbo
02-22-2016, 09:53 PM
We need better​ pics!!!! :D

GhostHawk
02-22-2016, 09:59 PM
Oneshot you might check one of the airgun shops like pyramidair they normally have them for sale.

40-82 hiker
02-22-2016, 11:19 PM
When I was in high school I used to deer hunt with an older gentleman who owned a double 8 x 57. It was a very beautiful rifle, and to this day I still dream of owning a double, but know it will never happen. However, that is okay, as I have a couple of guns on the dream list that I actually have a chance of getting, I hope. :bigsmyl2: Swamp's picture of his double is not helping, however!

Uncle R.
02-22-2016, 11:43 PM
When I was a young man I too met an older gentleman with a very high quality European double rifle that he used for deer hunting. He was obviously proud of it, but I was too young and foolish to give it much thought. It seemed silly to me to have to deal with barrel regulation, limited load choices, difficulty in mounting a scope, and all of the other issues that a classic European double would bring to the table.

I thought my modern commercial bolt actions were far more efficient, effective and practical, and of course I was right. I was also young and callow, too young to understand that the innate coolness factor of that double rifle was absolutely off the charts. I'd give a lot to have a rifle just like that one today, and if I had to make up ammo in some obscure caliber using laboriously reformed brass, if I had to experiment for hundreds of rounds to find a load that shot near point of aim in both barrels at hunting ranges, those trials would only add to the allure of the package.

Enjoy your Remington Baikal rifles. I already have more projects pending than I'll ever find time to complete, but if a decent specimen some day crosses my path at a good price it's likely to find itself in my safe just the same.

Uncle R.

Frank46
02-23-2016, 12:49 AM
At our members only range there was one member who had two rifles that greatly interested me. Holland & Holland bolt action 375 H&H magnum and a Westly Richards 318 double rifle. The 375 was ok but the 318 double was really nice. Frank

Lefty Red
02-23-2016, 05:42 AM
Wow! I thought it was one of their rifle/shotgun O/Us you was talking about!

I knew new of a an older family member that hunted with a double barrel ML. I was fascinated by it! Something different from the pumps and semis at deer camp. Had that rifle marked in every DGW catalog I got! Still might end up with it.......

Jerry

leadman
03-03-2016, 05:11 AM
Oneshot, Weaver makes the adapter, T-22 is the number, cost about $13.00. Opticsworld has several different styles of the adapter listed on their website.

swamp
03-03-2016, 10:43 AM
I got a set of rings that fit the base. Keeps the scope from being higher than I like.
swamp