PDA

View Full Version : 1903A3 drill rifle receiver?

DaveInFloweryBranchGA
04-22-2008, 11:21 PM
Has anybody here had any experience working with the drill rifle receivers that SOG is currently selling? IF so, what's been your experience with them, especially related to receiver hardness and stretching.

Buddy of mine's wanting to draw me into a buy of a few of these, but I'm dubious.

Thanks,

Dave

Char-Gar
04-23-2008, 11:22 PM
Stay dubious! Those things has been so welded and modified that they are no longer considered to be firearms.

If you have your own machine shop and want to play with the notion of bringing them back to life, that might be fun. But if you have to pay somebody, forget it....

Frank46
04-24-2008, 03:48 AM
From what info I have heard is the following. barrels welded onto frames, front of bolt face welded. safety on lefft side of receiver wedled, firing pin cut cown and possibly other horrors have been visited these rifles. You don't know how hot the tourch was or how hot the receiver or barrel go during the process. I'm guessing here but if the welds are small then there is a chance that the receiver could be salvaged. How bad the safety is welded is another question. You may have to resort to the gool old standby the dremel with cutoff wheels to get the safety out and then see what can be done to correct the problem. Like one poaster said, if you have the tools and time and are willing to work at it then I guess what you figure your time is worth also enters the picture. Me if I had a couple and the time and tools I would take a whack at it just for the heck of it. Still think that they could be rendered servicable.Frank

C1PNR
04-24-2008, 09:39 PM
If so, what did you think about the condition of the wood?

The only reason I'd get one would be for the "C" stock, and it seems like a LOT of $$ for some wood of unknown condition.