PDA

View Full Version : Bubba makes me grumpy...

Mica_Hiebert
01-19-2016, 05:50 PM
A while back I traded an abandoned project for a NM Blackhawk that had to have been some ones glove box gun or something, the bluing is mostly gone, ejector rod housing is half worn through and has some hogue grips that feel nice but look way out of place on this gun and don't fit right so I put an add online looking for factory grips w screw and finally got a set in decent shape and went to put them on today and found out when Bubba put the hogue grips on he removed the alignment pin! No wonder the hogues didn't fit right. Any ways I went to the hardware store and grabbed what seemed like the correct sized roll pin measured with my eyecromiter and it was a tight fit but I got it pressed in (fingers crossed) and it now has a respectable set of grips on it... now I have to do something with the bluing it really looks horid with nicer grips.:dung_hits_fan::dung_hits_fan:

nagantguy
01-19-2016, 06:31 PM
What caliber? And are you going to nurse it back to health and respectability or do you plan to pass it on down the line?

Mica_Hiebert
01-19-2016, 06:39 PM
41 mag, I haven't decided yet, it came with 2 boxes of ammo and I bought some brass for it today still need some dies and a mould but wife's kinda got my funding suspended until further notice. I have 357s and my 480 so the 41 fills a void in the middle of those two but not sure it was really a void that needed filled... weather I decide to keep it or not it will Def be in much better shape when I get done with it.

pietro
01-19-2016, 08:11 PM

AFAIK, Ruger Customer Service will set up a refinishing for the revolver.

Mica_Hiebert
01-19-2016, 09:47 PM
Might be a pain and cost $ for a gun that's not really worth alot.

pietro
01-20-2016, 09:24 AM
Might be a pain and cost $ for a gun that's not really worth alot.

There's no pain or cost, by speaking with Ruger Customer Service to find out............................

Hickok
01-20-2016, 09:31 AM
Might try some Brownells Oxpho Blue. Easy to work with and does a great job. Getting a good polishing/buffing of the gun is the main task in a good bluing result.

C. Latch
01-20-2016, 09:36 AM
I'm always a bit jealous when I hear people say they found rough guns cheap. I love taking them and giving them a good home and TLC.

Powersgt
01-20-2016, 11:13 AM
A friend of mine just finished up his OM Vaquero, it was quite a surprise on how little it cost to get it done. The frame went to Turnbull and was returned within the month. A local LGS did the barrel and small parts In the same amount of time. All in all he had about $200 into it, barrel work was done by another smith that he knows. I'm sure you can get a quality hot tank blueing done for around $100, problem is finding those who still do it.

rking22
01-20-2016, 07:09 PM
Rust blue it yourself. Basically free, unless you count your time :)

Mica_Hiebert
02-01-2016, 11:59 PM
Still waiting on my oxpho from brownells.

44man
02-02-2016, 11:35 AM
I hate the aluminum grip frames but found Brownell's Aluma-Hyde II paint makes them like new.
The very best blue for small stuff is long gone. It was US Barrel Blue. You submerged parts in boiling water and hung a jar of the bluing over the side into the water. Take the part out, air dry and swab it, put it back in the water and use as many coats as you want. It looked like factory.
One day I am going to see if Oxpho blue will work that way.

Mica_Hiebert
02-02-2016, 11:42 AM
Luckily other than a small scratch on the butt the frame is still shiny black, the steel bluing is more or less gone esp. on the loading gate and I will have to get a new ejector rod housing brownells had steel ones but the reviews where so extremely mixed I will probably just get another OEM aluminum one.

I'm always a bit jealous when I hear people say they found rough guns cheap. I love taking them and giving them a good home and TLC.

Don't be too jealous, I had about $300 invested in the project I traded and paid $16 for the ffl transfer (wa state) and $25 for grips $10 for bluing and the ejector housing will run me another $25 and I can buy the gun new for $450 at the local hardware store

Mica_Hiebert
02-03-2016, 12:07 AM
question for oxpho guys,My oxpho creme showed up today I just practiced on an ar15 barrel that i had to blue under where the front sight base used to be. I polished up the surface with 800 grit and the 0000 steel wool, cleaned with alcohol then applied with a cotton ball let sit for a minute then wiped off with a cotton ball, I repeated this about 5 times and did not get much darkening, I got out the old ladys hair dryer and put a little heat to it and applied the bluing with a gloved finger this time and let sit for a minute then i rubbed it with 0000 steel wool and repeated that 3 times and finally got it to blacken up to almost match the rest of the barrel but it is still a shade lighter than the rest... how many coats do you typically have to use and whats the best application method? I want to get this down before doing a whole hand gun.

44man
02-03-2016, 10:01 AM
As was said on the other posting, don't polish so much.

Mica_Hiebert
02-05-2016, 02:36 AM
well went and tackled it today. I took a wire wheel to the barrel, frame, cylinder and gate. took a better part of a day and I am satisfied with the results. found some more bad news while it was all tore down bubba also done him self a trigger job and hacked a leg off the trigger spring and the cylinder latch plunger is missing a big chunk out of the skirt so now the cylinder latch doesnt work... 2.99 + rape spipping and I have annother on on the way. of course brownells has the plunger but trigger springs out of stock and midway has discontinued the plunger but has the trigger spring so i went with the plunger and will hold off on the trigger spring for now.

Mica_Hiebert
02-05-2016, 02:50 AM
http://i1172.photobucket.com/albums/r563/micahiebert/Mobile%20Uploads/20160204_212924_zpswxhde3cm.jpeg (http://s1172.photobucket.com/user/micahiebert/media/Mobile%20Uploads/20160204_212924_zpswxhde3cm.jpeg.html)

Tackleberry41
02-05-2016, 08:25 AM
There are so many people out there that should not be allowed to own tools. I put some money down on a GSG522 other day. Kind of pushed for a better deal considering. Whoever owned it took off the fixed stock to put on an M4 style stock, only they lost/broke the parts you squeeze to be able to slide it. So went after it with a drill, you take a bolt out move the stock. Only theres just 2 holes, neither is close to straight, and neither one is long enough to be able to aim it. I have an extra stock off my other one so not a big deal. For some reason they took off the rear sight, and lost it. It was a cheap scope on top, but with way to high rings, and way to close together. I guess tried to take the magazine apart, lost the screws so used whatever. And only came with the one mag.

41magjh
02-05-2016, 10:02 AM
You will get hooked on the 41 it very pleasant to shoot. Welcome to the odd ball mag

Whiterabbit
02-05-2016, 12:51 PM
From the picture: is that SBH hammer dirty, or is it alloy steel?

If it is alloy steel, we need to talk.

Mica_Hiebert
02-05-2016, 07:02 PM
From the picture: is that SBH hammer dirty, or is it alloy steel?

If it is alloy steel, we need to talk. could be alloy I thought it was stainless until I was putting it back to gather and the top part apears to be blued... what's the significance of an alloy hammer?

44man
02-07-2016, 10:17 AM
The hammer will blue but it is usually left in the white with the checkering blue.

Mica_Hiebert
03-04-2016, 12:26 PM
Little update I traded hammers with white rabbit, my cylinder latch plunger finally showed up and while it was all tore down again I touched up the trigger bluing that I didn't notice before, then I didn't like how the paint pen touch up on the frame turned out so I stripped and painted it yesterday. Once it cures out I'll post up some final assembly pics.

Mica_Hiebert
03-08-2016, 05:34 PM
Final pics, painted frame, blued trigger, stainless hammer and all the guts in working order

http://i1172.photobucket.com/albums/r563/micahiebert/Mobile%20Uploads/20160308_131841_zpskngbpswm.jpeg (http://s1172.photobucket.com/user/micahiebert/media/Mobile%20Uploads/20160308_131841_zpskngbpswm.jpeg.html)

http://i1172.photobucket.com/albums/r563/micahiebert/Mobile%20Uploads/20160308_131920_zpsjqkqdc0n.jpeg (http://s1172.photobucket.com/user/micahiebert/media/Mobile%20Uploads/20160308_131920_zpsjqkqdc0n.jpeg.html)

Whiterabbit
03-08-2016, 06:10 PM
wow, that turned out great.

What holster is that? I may need one for my 7.5"

And how's the hammer working out? trigger nice and crisp, light? or at least crisper and lighter than factory Ruger?

Mica_Hiebert
03-08-2016, 06:34 PM
Just a inexpensive hunters brand holster. The hammer/trigger is smooth, lock up feels allot tighter too but that is probably due to replacing the shattered cylinder latch plunger. Thank you for the the compliments. wish I could take better pictures with my phone. there is a few places that look like shiny metal on the pictures but its just the lighting. the bluing is still a little light on the frame sides but it turned out pretty good for an old truck gun.

CraigOK
03-08-2016, 06:40 PM
Wow thats miles from where you started. I think someday I'll enjoy doing things like this....once I get all my must do projects done. Excellent work

Mica_Hiebert
03-08-2016, 06:59 PM
Still kicking myself for diving into the project before taking pictures. It was ROUGH

prsman23
03-08-2016, 09:09 PM
Good work. It may not have been economical. But you have work to be proud of.

Mica_Hiebert
03-10-2016, 12:20 AM
Good work. It may not have been economical. But you have work to be proud of.

allot of my tools are like this. Chainsaws, weed whacker, lawn mowers, cars, home, etc have been bought broken or in need of repairs and have been brought back to some thing I can be proud of and I generally end up with something equal or higher quality than I can buy new. I guess thats why handloading and casting fit into my life style so well. Even If I dont save money I take pride in the fact I built or rebuilt something instead of getting something assembled by a 5 year old chinese kid.

TXGunNut
03-11-2016, 11:54 PM
Nicely done. How's it shoot?

Mica_Hiebert
03-12-2016, 12:44 AM
Nicely done. How's it shoot?
Don't know yet. haha never shot it before the tear down and I am stuck on the island of week end grave yard shift. I'd like to think I'll get out to shoot it soon but wife thinks I'm supposed to be remodeling a bathroom and kitchen. Have a brand new 357 gp100, Ruger #1 in 475 linebaugh, new 44 mag black hawk, new ruger American ranch rifle and a r25 in 243 that I have not shot yet as well. Life has been getting in the way allot the last couple years. I also have about 5 rifles that I want to switch scopes around on and upgrade a couple so I Def have a back log of shooting projects that keep getting thrown to the back burner :-(