PDA

View Full Version : Remlin 336C .35 Remington- worth it?

FergusonTO35
01-19-2016, 12:36 PM
Local shop has a Remlin 336C in .35 Remington for $399.95. I would rate it around 98% condition with no box or accessories and looks to have been fired little if at all. The action works smoothly and the barrel is even screwed on straight to my amazement. Does this sound like a good deal? .35's rarely ever show up around here and I've been thinking about getting one. Is .35 brass still extinct?

shredder
01-19-2016, 01:31 PM
No not extinct up here for me. With all the ammo scarcity on the shelves I found heaps of 35 Remington being ignored so I took lots home! New manufacture Remington ammo seems very available. I was even able to score a couple of bags of new Remington brass in factory bags.
My Remlin 336 in 35 rem needed a bit of help to feed reliably at first but that was an easy fix and she runs good now. For my money, I like the 336 in this caliber. When I started bear guiding many years ago some clients brought along an old Marlin in 35 rem and I have been lusting for one to call my own ever since. I do not think you will regret it, ammo should be very available. IF you were this side of the boarder I could set you up with ammo today!

FergusonTO35
01-19-2016, 04:06 PM
Cool, maybe the supply is coming back around. I'll see if it is still there when I go pick up some stuff I ordered next week.

Outer Rondacker
01-19-2016, 04:09 PM
I feel the gun is worth it. I take it as you reload since your on this site. Grumpa sells brass for a good price. My local gun show always has a guy that makes and sells ammo for a living. He gets 30 dollars a box of 20 loaded. I hope this helps.

TXGunNut
01-20-2016, 12:34 AM
Awesome rifle and cartridge. Ammo/brass is a bit of an issue now but I don't think it's something that can't be overcome.

northmn
01-20-2016, 11:35 AM
Most of the ammo I have seen lately is the Hornady LE's which I do not consider a bad thing. So far based on the three deer I have shot with them, they are very functional cartridges and also less costly than Remingtons. I do see a few Remington 150 grain on the shelves but for me they would be something to shoot up and reload. When the ammo was almost unobtainable I hand loaded some Remington Coreloks I had on hand with some Lever powder and they were good loads. I have Lee reloading dies and they work.
Lee is supposedly now making a 200 grain gascheck mold similar to the RCBS bullet, Hornady cases are considered excellent for reloading. Those that have had a bit of experience with J bullets like the Sierra or Speer 200 grain bullets made for the caliber.
One does not need to take out a second mortgage to shoot the caliber.

DP

Dan Cash
01-20-2016, 01:08 PM
I woiuld be very suspicious of any Remlin. Look carefully at the sights (are they clocked to 12 O'Clock,? Is the barrel straight coming out of the receiver or is it pointed off to the side or down when you look over the receiver top? Does the gun feed; dummy rounds are your friend? Does the butt stock fit the receiver or are there massive gaps or wood proud of the steel? Ammunition is the least of your worries as it can be had or made.

FergusonTO35
01-20-2016, 07:30 PM
Yes, I am very suspicious of Remlins. The sights are clocked pretty straight as far as my eyes can tell. Wood to metal fit is as good as my JM Marlins although it does have the typical Remlin fat forend. The stock appears to be sized properly to the receiver. Will have to examine it more closely to see how true the barrel is threaded into the receiver.

If this rifle was on Gunbroker or Darth Vader's Gun Shop and Range aka Bud's I wouldn't be interested. However, if there are problems the owner of this shop will make it right or give me a full refund; he takes care of his customers 100%.

dragon813gt
01-20-2016, 07:58 PM
I'd buy it for that price and I already have a few. I have a Remlin 1894C that's worked flawlessly since I bought it a few years ago. As long as it passes the visual inspection you are usually good to go. Won't hurt to take some snap caps to make sure it feeds properly.

FergusonTO35
01-22-2016, 09:52 AM
I agree, although I don't think .35 Remington snap caps actually exist. If the 336 is there next week and I don't notice any problems with it I will probably go ahead and layaway it.

upr45
01-22-2016, 10:38 AM
I'd get it if I was you, as you described it -- sounds like they made it correctly. A 35 is really handy and very effective without all the smoke and whistles. There's a guy here on this forum that makes the brass if you need to buy some and can't find it. Once you get it you will really be glad you have it.

MT Chambers
01-22-2016, 07:17 PM
I'd def. get it, you may have to play around with cast bullet sizing as I believe them to be Micro-groove, something that I am not sold on for cast, although others may be.

FergusonTO35
01-22-2016, 10:58 PM
If I can make it to work on monday I will stop by the shop. Got more than a foot of snow to push off the driveway first!

wrench man
01-23-2016, 12:12 AM
Hornady is selling component brass right now, it and the "LeveRevolution" brass are standard, so it's FAR from extinct.

FergusonTO35
01-28-2016, 09:40 PM
The Remlin is still at the shop. I looked at it today and couldn't find any noticeable defects. Unfortunately I don't have the cash to even layaway it right now. Being that deer season 10 months from now and it's a .35 rather than a .30-30 the rifle may be there for awhile. I'll see if I can scrape up some cash the next few weeks.

pietro
01-28-2016, 09:59 PM
Unfortunately I don't have the cash to even layaway it right now.

Exactly why God created plastic............ :drinks:

FergusonTO35
01-29-2016, 04:40 PM
I hear ya, but I spent two years cleaning up a mess created by too much plastic in my life. Mebbe someone needs a kidney for cheap...:-)

gordie
02-02-2016, 08:22 PM
sounds high priced to me... but in Ga. you can find JM's any day of the week.

FergusonTO35
02-03-2016, 11:14 AM
.35's are pretty rare around here. The rifle is still there, I might have enough to layaway it next week.

dverna
02-03-2016, 05:38 PM
Good luck Ferguson. The .35 Rem is a good caliber if you do not need to reach out too far. And it is a good cast caliber to boot.