PDA

View Full Version : Rediscovering the 38 Special.

Hickory
01-19-2016, 11:07 AM
About a year ago I picked up a S&W model 14-2 new in the box for $3XX. I put it away and forgot about it.
As I do every January, I take a few guns every day and disassemble them and give them a thourgh cleaning, oil & grease them as needed. This keeps the rust at bay and keeps them in good shape and they're always ready to go.

Today I discovered this shooter. I could kick myself, because, I let a couple of good buys slip by me on boolit moulds here on this site. although I have 8 or10 molds for this gun I don't have any wadcutter molds.

It's heck when you forget you buy something and discover it and need a few seconds to recall where it came from.
I'm going to make a point to shoot it this year.

Mumblypeg
01-19-2016, 11:17 AM
How could you forget such a beauty as that ? (I know, I have a few too). I had one once and let it slip away.... would love to have another. That is a rare find.

TCFAN
01-19-2016, 12:26 PM
I had a very nice 14-6 that I had to send back to S&W for repair work.Unfortunately they said they could not fix it and replaced it with a new 686 [my choice] 6 inch 6 shot revolver at no charge to me including shipping both ways.

Your 14-2 is a nice looking gun and I bet it will shoot wadcutters very well.If you want to try some WC boolits on the cheap get a Lee TLWC mold. Never had a 38 that did not shoot that boolit very well.............Terry

fecmech
01-19-2016, 12:40 PM
Hickory-what a terrible thing to do, keeping that beauty in a safe. I believe that may even be gun abuse!:kidding:
Lack of a mold is no excuse,you need to get with the program. Seriously, enjoy your find. My 14-3 is my favorite handgun and gets quite a lot of ammo through it.

Scharfschuetze
01-19-2016, 12:45 PM
You have probably the most shootable of the 38 Special revolvers extant. Not too big, not too small and a good sight radius. I generally add a Tyler T Grip to these K Frames or a larger grip for a better and more consistent grip, but that's about all.

My Model 14 has who knows how many thousands of rounds through it and it's still tight and accurate. Other than holster wear, it looks pretty new, although not as new as yours.

Hickory
01-19-2016, 02:21 PM
This is one of the tightest revolves I have ever seen. I hope it shoots as good as it looks.

I can't imagine how I bought this, put in the safe and forgot I had it. I remember buying it and putting it away, but I can't for the life of me figure out why I just forgot about it.
Must be old age setting in.

Der Gebirgsjager
01-19-2016, 03:52 PM
Here's my pair. Exactly the same size--the camera makes the one in the rear look smaller. Front one has target hammer and grips. Rear one fired thousands of rounds of wadcutter in PPC matches in the early '70s and was carried as a duty revolver for several years. I reblued it. Just like a new one! Still mechanically perfect. You're sure to enjoy yours. If handled with reasonable care and properly maintained it's just about impossible to wear one out.

Wayne R. Scott
01-19-2016, 04:26 PM
This is one of the tightest revolves I have ever seen. I hope it shoots as good as it looks.

I can't imagine how I bought this, put in the safe and forgot I had it. I remember buying it and putting it away, but I can't for the life of me figure out why I just forgot about it.
Must be old age setting in.

Don't you remember that you were going to sell it to me for $3XX?

Hickory
01-19-2016, 07:07 PM
Don't you remember that you were going to sell it to me for $3XX?

I may have some issues with my memory, but it's not that bad . . .Yet

MtGun44
01-19-2016, 11:17 PM
Holy cow! You stole that pistol when you bought it.

They are really nice guns. Better leave your excuses home when shooting it, though.
That gun doesn't allow for any excuses.

Ole Joe Clarke
01-20-2016, 10:36 AM
You can send that beauty to me, then just forget about it. :-) I will treat it with lots of TLC, and lots of SWC's since I have the molds.

Hickory
01-20-2016, 10:50 AM
Holy cow! You stole that pistol when you bought it.

I met a man who was in desperate need of cash.
He has more guns than I have cash.

I wonder if the phrase, "A fool and his money are soon parted." applies here?

rfd
01-20-2016, 07:43 PM
ah, the venerable 14-2 !!! a masterpiece !!! love the one i got from la-la land !!!

http://i.imgur.com/aLBaWNo.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/cBDbEdv.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/fhteSCm.jpg

Petrol & Powder
01-20-2016, 09:20 PM
The model 14 is a work of art.
Here's mine and I agree, leave your excuses at home. If you miss it's not the gun.

BTW, the OP Stole his at less than $400 ! :wink:

Hardcast416taylor
01-20-2016, 09:29 PM
I can`t even begin to guess how many Lyman #358429 WC`s that I cast up using 2 of their 4 holer molds and straight ww`s as they were so available back then. My 14-2 is still more accurate than I am after all these years. It now wears a set of Pachmyer professional rubber grips to be kinder on my hands than checkered wood is. My favorite PPC load is the Lyman WC with 3.5 gr. of either HP-38 or Win. 231 and Federal primers in Winchester brass. This combo won me a few matches and trophy or so.Robert