PDA

View Full Version : RCBS bench prime handle mod

abunaitoo
01-18-2016, 07:14 PM
I got an old RCBS bench primer with the stuff from a house I helped clean out.
Never used one. I use a RCBS press mount strip prime.
After cleaning off the rust, and finding all the parts for it, I got it to work again.
Seems like a good tool.
Only problem I see with it, is it has to be on the edge of the table for the handle to go all the way down.
Looking at it, it would seem that the handle could be angled up to clear the table top and hand.
Looks to be a simple cut and weld modification.
I looked at the RCBS web site, and saw a multi position handle on their .50BMG bench prime model.
Has anyone tried to modify the handle on one of these?????

bear67
01-18-2016, 07:36 PM
My bench mount RCBS stays bolted to the bench most of the time, although I can remove bolts from the tapped holes (1/4 x 16) in the steel bench top and remove. When I get through priming, I just remove the handle. The shoulder bolt works fine just hand tight and I store it in a drawer or library file underneath. I use mine for all rifle cases that are not loaded on a Dillon. It is uniform in seating after you get the feel and you can use Dillon primer tubes. This allows filling several tubes before starting your priming process. I like the little primer at almost the outside edge of the bench.

sandman228
01-19-2016, 12:31 PM
my rcbs bench mount priming tool is mounted to 2 layers of 3/4 plywood glued together cut to about 6x6 . I have a hole drilled in center of each side and take it on and off my bench with carriage bolts ,washers, and wing nuts . the extra inch and a half of height from the 2 layers of plywood gives it enough clearance that the handle don't hit the bench . only modify the tool itself as an absolute last resort .

Hardcast416taylor
01-19-2016, 02:53 PM
It`s amazing how much higher up several layers of 2x12 plank pieces will make things.Robert

Ole Joe Clarke
01-19-2016, 04:57 PM
Have mine mounted on some stacked 2 x 4's, the bottom one being longer that the others the the tool is mounted on. I don't fasten it down to use when I prime large primers. It works, I use a lee primer for small pistol though.

gunarea
01-25-2016, 11:43 AM
My days of using the Lee hand primer tool, sadly have passed. Even the advantage given by an RCBS bench priming tool has become a bit taxing for my arthritic hands.
159084 159083 159085
Along with a larger size for grip is an additional few inches for leverage. Just outside the base, under the lever, is a spring which gives enough relief for case manipulation without interference. Mounted as shown on the edge of the bench gives full travel and no pinch point.

Here is my greatest tip ever for priming relief [ GET SOMEONE ELSE TO DO IT ]

Good skill to you all
Roy

jmort
01-25-2016, 11:54 AM
I put my RCBS Auto Prime on a Quick Change Plate on my Inline Fabrication Ultramount. Problems solved.

Walter Laich
01-25-2016, 01:01 PM
mine is mounted to a 30" section of 2x4

I use it on the open tailgate of my truck held down with a quick grip clamp. It clamps to the short side of the tailgate at an angle. It doesn't mar the paint on the bottom (outside) of the tailgate and I can quickly attach and remove it.

It's nice to get outside and do reloading stuff now and them

r1kk1
01-25-2016, 03:08 PM
Mounted mine to a RockDOCK plate and clamped to the bench. Works very well.

take care

r1kk1

cheese1566
01-25-2016, 09:59 PM
Good tool. I got one from a member here a few years ago. I still like the hand primer, but I am holding on the bench style for the future and my hands.

I agree with the handle angle, but I mount all my extra tooling (except actual metallic presses) on a nice rounded over 1" oak board with polyurethane. Then c-clamped to the bench for portability. I can move it to the coffee table in the tv room if needed.

varmintpopper
01-26-2016, 02:36 AM
I simply heated the handle with a torch and bent it upwards to clear the table top when the handle is all the way lowered. Easy fix. works good.

Good Shooting

Lindy

ioon44
01-27-2016, 09:29 AM
I have mine mounted on a piece of 3/4" plywood and use a c-clamp to move it any where on the bench, I just let the handle hang over the edge of my loading bench, I stand up to prime cases. I am sure every ones set up will be different.

54bore
01-28-2016, 02:36 AM
Mine is mounted right in my way! But I've gotten so use to it that it doesn't bother me, I mounted mine to left of my press. I really like the tool! Before this I used an old lee hand prime tool that was given to me by a good friend that hated it, I eventually wore it out, I could have bought replacement parts and rebuilt it but I went ahead and splurged for the Rcbs bench mount and I have no regrets! I can't complain about that little lee hand prime tool I had, I primed several thousand cases with it before it started to fail, it got to where it wasn't seating the primer all the way to the bottom of the pocket