PDA

View Full Version : PC oven recomendations and results - 2016 update

bangerjim
01-18-2016, 04:02 PM
There is a thread that is ~2 years old:

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?232896-Toaster-Oven-Recommendations

Read it to see what people did back in 2014.

Moving right along...... [smilie=2: ........ [smilie=2: ....... [smilie=2:........

This new thread is to provide information for newer people and those that are having problems with their boolit bakes.

Please list the NEW ovens, brands, and sources you have found to be good for precisely what we do.

Do NOT list junk ovens you found on Craig's List or at Goodwill, as those are hit and miss on finding them. And while yours may work, the next one may be garbage (after all, it IS something no one wanted, right?). We need a solid loading shop-proven list of NEW readily available reliable off-the-shelf convection-only ovens that have proven to have excellent tight temp control (not by adding a PID controller) right out of the box.

2 or 3 racks is what we really need.

Price range....whatever really works! To some on here, money is no object when it comes to their hobby.

I get asked this question by PM all the time.

Let's see your recommendations as to what REALLY works!

bangerjim

gunauthor
01-18-2016, 04:09 PM
I got the old leftover oven when we upgraded to a new one. Before I started using it, I bought an ACCURATE thermometer and found my oven temperature setting was off by 30+ degrees.

Markbo
01-18-2016, 06:10 PM
I just use my lead thermometer. My old/used toaster oven was off pretty good too.

reddog81
01-19-2016, 02:01 PM
I bought mine at Walmart last year for $39.XX in store. I just visited their website to see if I could find the make/model but had no luck. I'm pretty sure the brand was Oster, but it looks like they tweaked the design a little bit on the one currently for sale.

I have coated 1000's of bullets using it with no problems. I had to find a second rack and tray so that I could do 2 at a time. I tested the temperature when it was new and it was spot on. I did some this last weekend in my garage where the temp was in the teens without any problems.

bangerjim
01-19-2016, 03:35 PM
I bought mine at Walmart last year for $39.XX in store. I just visited their website to see if I could find the make/model but had no luck. I'm pretty sure the brand was Oster, but it looks like they tweaked the design a little bit on the one currently for sale.

I have coated 1000's of bullets using it with no problems. I had to find a second rack and tray so that I could do 2 at a time. I tested the temperature when it was new and it was spot on. I did some this last weekend in my garage where the temp was in the teens without any problems.

THANKS!

THAT'S the kind of real info we are looking for to help people make good choices on NEW ovens.

Keep 'em commin'.

banger

Markbo
01-19-2016, 08:43 PM
I saw one at WM while I was there. Oster convection toaster oven for $39.99. Extra racks and trays all over the place.

chutesnreloads
01-19-2016, 09:04 PM
Not sure of price because my sister-in-law gave it to us but knowing her it weren't a cheapo.

Hamilton Beach......temp is right on....PC'd around 1000 so far.

Brad Cayton
01-19-2016, 09:12 PM
My wife bought mine for me as a Christmas present. She spent more than I would have but it is a good one. The temp. control is pretty much dead on checked with an oven thermometer I keep in it when baking boolits.

It's a Hamilton Beach countertop convection, model #31100. Purchased off Amazon for $65.

khmer6
01-19-2016, 09:53 PM
Proctor silex from frys food for 15$ can fit two tracks in it.

Tailhunter
01-19-2016, 09:54 PM
Oster, walmart, works great but you will have to set it on about 270 to get 395-400*

Cord
01-20-2016, 12:09 AM
Thanks for starting this!

To those who have a good working oven, please turn it around
and look at the back side to find the make and model number,
and tell us what the heck it actually is…please! ....and thanks!

I have been doing a lot of studying/web shopping to
replace my $5 garage sale oven with a good convection model
from any source, new or used, in the stores, online or on Craig’s list.

I search on the make and model number someplace on the web like Amazon
and read the user reviews and comments.

I’ve seen some nice looking, reasonably priced brand name ovens
that only have 60% or less of buyers giving positive reviews!

Even more problematic are the reports of ovens catching on fire
and the shattering of glass doors, like this:

Oster TSSTTVXLDG Extra Large Digital Toaster Oven
“nice until the glass shattered”

I am looking for a good 2 rack convection oven
with a glass door that has a full frame around it
and quartz heating elements……If I find one I will post about it.

And if anyone posts the actual make and model number
of the ovens they are getting good results with,
I would be very, very grateful!!

Stilly
01-20-2016, 04:30 AM
I actually got one of these on Ebay for $53 shipped to me from HOME DEPOT. I got it because it has a probe and convection fan, but it seems to take a while to heat up.
http://www.amazon.com/Hamilton-Beach-31230-Toaster-Convection/dp/B0039BJ3JG I think it was warranty work and they just had them send it to me instead.

I also like the digital timer versus the old dial timer on my craigslist oster that I got for $15.

For me I want something with a fast warm up, temperature probe, convection fan and digital readout. I will be looking for another one of these in the future I think unless someone has a better model that heats up faster.

Here is how I found this, I went to Amazon and started searching the toaster ovens. When I found one that had the features that I liked, I went to Ebay and looked for that model.

I got lucky because I should have paid over $100 for mine but I have it now and the g/f said it was too pretty to go outside in the garage so she wanted it for the kitchen for heating up pizza (cause I guess we eat pizza all the time, hmm, dunno when the last time was though...) and other things. It DOES look nice and it DID have a lot of great reviews. but just search out models with your features and then go hunt them down on ebay. You could find a used one or you could find a new one but the chances are good they will be cheaper than other places.

RKJ
01-20-2016, 09:19 AM
I got a Black & Decker Toaster oven at Kmart on sale ($39.99) for $19.99. It's a small 1 rack but it works. It has a dial timer with icons and temps. I used HF red and set the oven in the 300-325 range and set it on bake for 15 minutes. The bullets came out solid and much better than I was expecting.

I changed the info on that oven. I thought it was a 2 shelf, but it's actually only a 1 and I put it on bake not broil. The temp was correct though.

Hickok
01-20-2016, 09:38 AM
I saw one at WM while I was there. Oster convection toaster oven for $39.99. Extra racks and trays all over the place.That is what I have been using. Works great. Also bought the oven thermometer at WM.

Mine seemed to be pretty close to the dial set temperature when it was new. But now I have to set it at 350 degrees to maintain 400 degrees. Either it changed some with a lot of use, or I just became more familiar with it and PC temps after much usage and baking boolits.

I place the thermometer in occasionally with a batch of boolits just as a check.

Hickok
01-20-2016, 09:46 AM
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Oster-Designed-for-Life-Convection-Toaster-Oven/35609013?wmlspartner=wlpa&selectedSellerId=0&adid=22222222282024436794&wl0=u&wl1=s&wl2=c&wl3=0&wl4=&wl5=&wl6=&veh=sem

popper
01-20-2016, 11:29 AM
Mine is a 25 yr old 1200 Watt Euro-pro convection with no insulation at all, 2 racks. Takes 12 min to get to 400F with 5# of boolits. I control it with my casting pot PID. Warning - the new euro-pro is now built by Shark - timer knob breaks and can't be fixed - junk knobs for $15 ea.

bangerjim
01-20-2016, 02:53 PM
I have been looking at that OSTER big digital oven. That exploding door picture was a review back in 2013 and from what I can read, they have changed the design today.

That thing is really HUGE inside! With 2 racks and digital controls. Should be accurate temp control.

Remember as I said in another thread, conv ovens control at 25F lower that the digital setting. My standard size kitchen convection ovens are both that way. So, a setting of 425 will be required if one wants 400F.

Best investment for ANYONE running a boolit bake oven.....a good oven thermometer! Or 2 for oven cavity profiling.

banger