PDA

View Full Version : Lee cast iron vs Rockchucker Supreme.

Buttonbuck
01-17-2016, 11:44 PM
Wanting a single stage press for rifle bullets, sizing, maybe making some brass 410 shells etc. I have the cast Turret kit and bought an additional lee perfect powder measured. I was hoping to use lee dies with quick change dies preferably Hornady L&L because they are cheaper than lee. I've been looking at the deals on the rock chucker supreme press with its rebate vs the Lee cast iron press cost wise it's a wash. The strongest thing I see is the RCBS powder dispenser that comes with the kit. I would be loading 30/30 and 30/06 when I buy one this spring. I have been downsizing the number of firearms/calibers and striving for versitility and simplicity in the wood shop and want the reloading/casting area to be uncluttered by redundancy.

triggerhappy243
01-18-2016, 02:02 AM
I look at this.... this way. you buy both side by side. 2 or 3 years from now, both presses break beyond repair. Which one will replace it for free? RCBS WILL.

Buttonbuck
01-18-2016, 02:13 AM
So will the RCBS powder drop handle stick powders?

jmort
01-18-2016, 02:17 AM
Not sure how useful it is to pick a press based on a 2-3 year life expectancy. They will both last much longer. On Midway USA the Rock Chucker Supreme rates 4.3 based on 97 owner/user reviews. The Lee Classic Cast rates 4.9 based on 127 owner/user reviews. Either one will do the job, and then some.

DaveInFloweryBranchGA
01-18-2016, 02:39 AM
I had a USA made Rock Chucker and the Lee Classic Cast on my bench for three months comparing them with no bias, as I like both companies. I still have the Lee, the RC has been sold long ago. The Lee was simply the better press.

Ovationdave
01-18-2016, 03:04 AM
So Far, I have loaded Varget, Unique, Titegroup, Bullseye & HS6 and the only issue I ran into was some of the powders seemed to get "crushed" and clump in the Rockchucker powder drop. Then, based on a suggestion from this forum, I switched over to a smaller drum and cylinder (the small RCBS one), and everything is fine now. Working flawlessly.

sghart3578
01-18-2016, 03:05 AM
What are you going to do to a Classic Cast that will break it in 2 or 3 years? I have had mine for a long time and it is still going strong.

And enough about the vaunted RCBS customer service. I have tried twice to get simple replacement parts for my turret press from them. After waiting on hold, and offering BOTH TIMES to pay for the parts and shipping, I was promised that "we will get it out to you right away". It has been 9 months and no parts. So spare me.

That did not influence my decision to go with the Classic Cast. In fact, I have an old Rockchucker also. There is nothing that the Rockchucker can do that the Lee can't. And I like the way the Lee deals with spent primers versus the RCBS.

Steve in N CA

WFO2
01-18-2016, 05:03 PM
I use the Lee to resize .308 matter of fact I do most of my resizing on it .

triggerhappy243
01-19-2016, 03:07 AM
I was just using an arbitrary number. 2-3 years 20 to 30 years. whats the difference? you break an RCBS press that is 20 years old, they will replace it. LEE?............. I hear crickets. sorry. and as far as replacement parts go sghart3578, I was not privy to your phone conversation, but every time I needed parts, they arrived 3 days before I thought they would.

buttonbuck, I hand weigh all loads that use stick powders. I dont care what it is. If you hear that crunching sound while dumping stick powder, I assure you the powder kernels are being shattered.

and as far as the rock chucker supreme press is concerned... i dont own one. the 4 I have are all PRE-SUPREME models. I heard of the spent primer disposal issue with it. Yes, it needs help.

rpludwig
01-19-2016, 06:34 AM
Have RC supreme, great press, my second RC. Primer disposal issue is easily solved. It will likely outlast you, and I have never had to pay for or wait for any RCBS replacement parts...including those where I was at fault. Their powder measure works fine, get the micrometer adjustment add on...you will be cutting longer stick powders with most measures from my experience.

Great products, exceptional service.

toallmy
01-19-2016, 08:11 AM
I can't compare Lee to RCBS , but for 20-30 year's when I break a Lee part thay replace it. Usually the shipping is more than the part.

Garyshome
01-19-2016, 09:14 AM
I don't think the Lee will hold up like the RCBS. I have one of each but the Lee [breechlock challenger?] gets the light duty dirty work [de prime] and the RCBS does the heavy clean stuff [sizing cleaned cases....].

Petrol & Powder
01-19-2016, 09:26 AM
Both of those presses are more than strong enough. Personally I'd go with the RCBS just because I like the company.

dragon813gt
01-19-2016, 09:40 AM
Lee for primer disposal. Once you have one w/ a hollow ram the catch cups are just stupid. As far as lasting. People swage w/ the Lee Classic Cast. Far be it from me to tell others how to spend their money. But paying more for a press because of the name on it foolish.

Bonz
01-19-2016, 09:53 AM
I have broken parts on my Lee Classic Cast twice now and Lee refused to cover the parts under warranty. I was honest and told them I was swaging bullets. I have broken parts on my Lyman T-Mag II twice and had to pay for the replacement parts myself. I have broken parts on my RCBS and they shipped parts for free, even though I told them it was my fault. I have broken several parts on my Hornady LNL and they have sent replacement parts for free.

dudel
01-19-2016, 02:18 PM
My experience has been similar to Bonz ^^^^^, I've had parts break on a Lee Classic Turret, and got no satisfaction from Lee. My experience with RCBS has been like Dillon and Hornady. Parts shipped out very quickly at no cost to me.

fg-machine
01-19-2016, 02:56 PM
heres the differance between the lee press and the rock chucker .

the lee press is 100% made in the usa , that rock chucker is a chinese casting

dkf
01-19-2016, 03:06 PM
heres the differance between the lee press and the rock chucker .

the lee press is 100% made in the usa , that rock chucker is a chinese casting

I thought they tried getting castings from China, had a lot of issues and went back to US castings? Still glad I bought the Classic Cast though.

fg-machine
01-19-2016, 03:27 PM
that is quite likely , but once these companies start to out source anything i quickly lose interest in them and buy elsewhere when possible .

eli
01-19-2016, 03:41 PM
I have the Lee machine and though most of my reloading kit is Lee product, I selected my set-up for value, function and safety, in any order you might care to consider. I also have RCBS, Redding and Lyman tools, bought at the same time as the Lee stuff, because it was top quality and met the above
I think the Lee press is the better choice than the RCBS.

Guardian
01-19-2016, 04:00 PM
I have an older RC and a LCC. Agree that the LCC has a better spent primer disposal, but the bolt holes in the LCC are set more to the front than the RC. That may not be an issue on your bench, but it is on one of mine. I have a 1x3 trim piece on the front of my bench. The RC holes land in the plywood behind the trim. The LCC front holes land in the trim. The LCC does have 3 holes while the RC has 2, but in this case the LCC only had one functional. Again, this is a bench design issue, but it might help someone.

I've used the RC a lot more than the LCC. Neither is a bad choice. I just prefer the feel of the RC over the LCC, cam over on the former vs. hard stops on the latter. Both work, they just have a different feel.

For what it's worth, I'd part with both before letting go of my Redding T7.

troyboy
01-19-2016, 04:12 PM
Well you might buy both, give them a try and sell the one you dont like. That is what I have done with many presse that are talked about here. If you are not willing to do that,you will never know anything but others opionion.

eli
01-19-2016, 04:31 PM
You might contact a local shooting club and see if one or two of the members are willing to let you try the presses you are asking about.

Ole Joe Clarke
01-19-2016, 04:53 PM
I look at this.... this way. you buy both side by side. 2 or 3 years from now, both presses break beyond repair. Which one will replace it for free? RCBS WILL.

I have a Pacific multi power "0" press that I bought new about 1975, (last century :-)) that is not broken and I have loaded several thousand pistol and rifle shells on it. I also just purchased the Lee Classic. If these cast iron parts break in 2-3 years I'll be surprised. I don't abuse tools either, I have some machinist tools that I purchased about 1965 that are still good as new.

EDG
01-19-2016, 08:54 PM
And your computer is from where?

that is quite likely , but once these companies start to out source anything i quickly lose interest in them and buy elsewhere when possible .

r1kk1
01-19-2016, 09:48 PM

I believe this chinese **** is repeated over and over. I've sent an email to RCBS and they denied a Chinese foundry connection.

I'm not a fan of the RCBS RockChucker, Lyman Orange Crush, Hornady LNL or Lee. I wish the thread included Redding, but it didn't.

take care

r1kk1

LUBEDUDE
01-19-2016, 10:20 PM
RCBS has sent me free parts for a 40 yr old die that broke because of my stupidity.

Not a press, but speaks volumes of the company.

flyingmonkey35
01-19-2016, 11:00 PM
I just bought a rcbs rock chucker. I got it on clearance at a local cableals. Walked out the door with it for under $60 bucks.

It was the display model.and

Wow its one hefty press. They only thing I don't like about the press is there is no primer cathcher. Again no box

U am also not a huge fan of how the Lee dies disappear. Its hard to do a smooth pull on shorter cases. Perfect for rifle I suspect.

Anyway amazon has them on sale as well.

seaboltm
01-19-2016, 11:37 PM
Lee is cheaper and will likely last you a lifetime. RCBS customer service is very good though. I bought a press years ago from ebay. It was an old RCBS press and it was missing the link pin. RCBS said the pin had to be custom made as there were several different sizes and they would want to fit the part themselves. So I mailed it to them, and they mailed it back to me, in perfect working condition. Charge for the service? 0$ Now thats customer service.

In all fairness Lee has been good to me too, but I know others who tell Lee horror stories.

shoot-n-lead
01-20-2016, 12:03 AM
I sold my Rock Chucker after trying the Lee Classic Cast single stage...I like it a lot.

noisewaterphd
01-21-2016, 04:12 AM
As someone who has owned both presses, I can say without a doubt that the Lee is the better press.

Cheaper, and made in the USA to boot.

I like RCBS, and they have taken great care of me in the past when needed. But for me, so has Lee.

If you ever manage to break anything on the Lee Classic Cast (a few other posts were confusing it with cheaper Lee presses), then you deserve to pay for it.

Addtionally, my concentricity gauge shows the Lee making (however slight) more consistently concentric ammo. Which is the real reason I use it over the RCBS.

A pause for the COZ
01-21-2016, 04:25 AM
What are you going to do to a Classic Cast that will break it in 2 or 3 years? I have had mine for a long time and it is still going strong.

Buy the LEE, Buy the RCBS press and break it. Sure they will send you a replacement part for free. But you already paid for the part in advance by over paying for the press.
Break a part on the LEE and if the repair part cost more than 3 or 4 bucks you must have broken a major part.
Despite what some would like you to believe. LEE is making and selling the BEST cast iron presses right now.
So why pay more for less?

Now if you going to buy used... Buy RCBS. They honor the warranty no matter what.
My wish for RCBS is that they pick up the R&D and start to innovate to match the product with their reputation.
As far as buying good new ideas. I have been buying quite a bit of Hornady products lately. That LNL AP is awesome.

Ever notice other than Molds. no one talks up lyman any more for reloading tools?
Who wants to over pay for a 50 year old design with lousy customer service??

Buttonbuck
01-21-2016, 06:25 PM
What caught my attention was the RCBS rebate on their kit. This included a couple items that I could see as upgrades (the uniflow and hand held primer) it is about equal price wise). The best advantage I saw was that you can use Hornady quick change bushings with the RCBS which are less than lee but not sure if I can use the lee dies with the L&L bushings and dies. I mostly want the single stage for 30/30 and 3006 when I find one. I would also size bullets.

jmort
01-21-2016, 06:46 PM
There was a point in time that RCBS used Chinese castings on some presses, but they stopped that a while back. All the press castings from RCBS are from the USA. I have noticed, as in this thread, more people who have owned both presses prefer the Lee Precision Classic Cast.

Tackleberry41
01-21-2016, 06:48 PM
Only Lee presses I have broken were the lighter weight ones. The Lee classic one would not be easy to break, no more so than the RCBS. They have changed the RCBS, a friend has an older one, won't accept the larger dies like the newer ones will. I am not fond of his RCBS as it leaves primers everywhere. The Lee has the handy tube to catch them, a few escape but nothing like the mess the RCBS makes. Yes Lee has a limited warranty, but are you actually going to break anything on it?

Don Fischer
01-22-2016, 01:00 PM
So will the RCBS powder drop handle stick powders?

You would be surprised how well it will. One small secret, when you hit the top to fill the hopper, bump it a couple times and settle the powder in the hopper!

RogerDat
01-22-2016, 01:25 PM
The Lee has a bushing that can be removed allowing you to use the cheaper quick change bushings. Or those same outer thread also fit the 50 caliber dies.
I think they are both good, as someone already pointed out the no hassle RCBS warranty is of greater value if you are buying used. New press one can assume that any damage will be limited by your own level of care. I love the Lee through the ram primer disposal. Neatest thing since pull tab beer cans (twist off bottles for the younger ones who won't remember can openers)

Add on bundles are only of value if the tool included is what you would purchase without the bundle. If you would buy that powder measure or primer tool then bundle adds value. If you would spend 1/2 as much on a different model or a used one of higher quality of better features then the bundle adds nothing.

Having the choice you have is a good place to be when shopping for a press.

DocSavage
01-22-2016, 10:14 PM
Of the many reloading equipment companies out there I've dealt with in my 40+,years of reloading the companies I had the best experience with is RCBS,Dillon and Redding/Saeco. My fault,their fault,nobody's fault one phone call solved the problem. Lee equipment is more for the folks who don't have deep pockets for reloading equipment. Most of the folks I know started with Lee but as they gained more reloading experience went from Lee to RCBS,Lyman,Hornandy equipment. In other words pay once cry once

noisewaterphd
01-22-2016, 10:49 PM
Of the many reloading equipment companies out there I've dealt with in my 40+,years of reloading the companies I had the best experience with is RCBS,Dillon and Redding/Saeco. My fault,their fault,nobody's fault one phone call solved the problem. Lee equipment is more for the folks who don't have deep pockets for reloading equipment. Most of the folks I know started with Lee but as they gained more reloading experience went from Lee to RCBS,Lyman,Hornandy equipment. In other words pay once cry once

Sure, buy once, cry once.

Or, pay once, don't cry at all since the price was fair, and get a better press to boot.

That phrase, while cute, really doesn't apply to everything.

dragon813gt
01-23-2016, 08:34 AM
Lee equipment is more for the folks who don't have deep pockets for reloading equipment. Most of the folks I know started with Lee but as they gained more reloading experience went from Lee to RCBS,Lyman,Hornandy equipment. In other words pay once cry once
I am so tired of this elitist attitude. And that's exactly what it is. If you want to over pay for something than have at it. If a tool doesn't work for you than buy one that works. No single brand is superior to another. The Lee bashing is tiring.

Ole Joe Clarke
01-23-2016, 10:14 AM
I'm on fixed income, worked for 40 years or so, lost my job when government contracting dried up. Nobody wants to hire a older guy, but I feel I have paid my dues. I could buy any type reloading equipment I want to, but chose not to because I watch the budget. The young guns with more money than common sense have the elitist attitude, and that's ok, but I wish they would keep it to themselves.

Have a blessed day.

Motor
01-23-2016, 11:05 AM
I can't comment on the LCC because I haven't ever used one but I do have a lot of Lee and RCBS equipment as well as a few other brands.

The Lee tools work there is no doubt and some are very inventive but when I buy a Lee tool I buy it knowing that it basically has no warranty. Let's be honest, for 1/2 "retail" price plus shipping for any Lee tool I own I'm much better off just buying a new one.

RCBS on the other hand has AWESOME customer service. Plus I dare say if not all the time 99.9% of the time it covers stupidity too.

Motor

Buttonbuck
01-23-2016, 03:54 PM
I have mostly lee equipment. I consider it like a a debate like the one between say craftsman tools and say Snap On. Both good options having read some reviews and posts it seems the rebate is the deciding factor in the price point. The warranty helps. One problem I did see on some reviews was the quick change bushings get stuck. The second was with the primer arms. I am going to do some more digging.

JMax
01-23-2016, 05:56 PM
I owned a RockChucker and own a LCC. Both are great but would not trade either for my Redding T7 nor my Dillon 550's.

Tailhunter
01-23-2016, 07:11 PM
RCBS has the best customer service.

triggerhappy243
01-23-2016, 07:35 PM
where is the "LIKE" button. there are some excellent points being made here in this thread.

HangFireW8
01-23-2016, 08:23 PM
I have a mid-90's rock chucker and two Lee classic Cast. I can afford any single stage press in the market and I chose a second Lee after trying the first.

The RCBS only does one thing better. The handle doesn't come down and stick out easily like the Lee.

Motor
01-24-2016, 01:31 PM
where is the "LIKE" button. there are some excellent points being made here in this thread.

Look at the top of any page and you will see some drop down menus. Look in "Thread Tools" I believe if you "subscribe" to this thread it will save it in your "subscribed threads" menu. Give it a try.

If I'm wrong I surly hope someone corrects me. :)

Motor

Shawlerbrook
01-24-2016, 01:46 PM
This is kind of a Ford vs. Chevy argument. I have RCBS presses and both RCBS and Lee dies. They all have their good and bad points, but I don't think you can top RCBS's customer service. I also agree that Redding makes top quality reloading tools, especially scales and powder measures . Bottom line is they all crank out quality ammo and will give you years of service !

EDG
01-24-2016, 04:38 PM
When gathering opinions the Lee tool will have the advantage of a lower price if you buy a new press.

The Rockchucker will have the advantage of being the first in the market so there are many of them available used and there are a lot of people that have had good experiences with them. For example my Rockchucker has been in constant use for 44 years. When I bought it, RCBS sold a combo of the press with a set of dies. Since I did not need the dies the discount store agreed to take the die set out of the box and sell me the press for $35. That was when they sold a 788 Rem for $75. At that time Lee was still making only the whack a mole.

Duckdog
01-24-2016, 07:45 PM
If I break a piece of reloading equipment after using it for many years, I guess I just man the heck up and either repair it, or replace it. I personally feel if you use things, there is always the chance things may break or wear out, so I don't go into a purchase looking for a freebie before the product even has a chance to break or wear out. I'm not trying to offend anyone, it's just how I roll.

I never count on extended warranties, or lifetime warranties, because I've been burned by both. Lee makes fine products at a reasonable price that will outlast most of us, if cared for even close to reasonably. And, if Lee equipment does break, they have always treated me pretty good.

To have the arrogance to say that folks who use Lee do not have money, well, it's just foolish and it does tend to get old quickly.

EDG
01-24-2016, 09:24 PM
To have the arrogance to say that folks who use Lee do not have money, well, it's just foolish and it does tend to get old quickly.

Lee users say exactly that that all the time. That is they say they base their decisions on the lower prices of Lee products.

dragon813gt
01-24-2016, 10:28 PM
Lee users say exactly that that all the time. That is they say they base their decisions on the lower prices of Lee products.

Why pay more for a tool if the cheapest one works and lasts? This is how I look at. It's not like we are comparing HF power tools to the likes of Bosch. I can afford to buy any press or dies I want. I always start w/ Lee if they make it. If it doesn't work I buy another brand. I've had to do this a whole two times. And if Lee made small base dies it would only be one time. The money I've saved has allowed me to buy a lot of other tooling. It's a win win for me.

And just because someone says they based their decision on price doesn't mean they don't have any money.

13Echo
01-24-2016, 10:51 PM
I try to base my decisions on what works. The Lee Classic Cast works and works well and it cost less than the Rockchucker I used for many years. My brother has the RC and I have the Lee. I also have the Redding turret for my black powder rifles and it is a fine press. As much as I like and admire RCBS tools and dies I don't find much virtue in spending more for the same quality of tool.

Make your choice. Either is a superb press and you won't be disappointed with their performance.

Jerry Liles

Duckdog
01-25-2016, 12:01 AM
All people are free to spend their money however they wish. But what I have seen, over and over again, is that the folks who decide to spend more on a product will almost belittle those who decide not to. I suspect it makes them feel better about their decisions.

EDG, I do not know you, nor do you know me. I can tell you this. I do very well in my profession, and can afford to buy whatever I wish. Growing up, this was not the case, so I can say I appreciate everything I have, and know exactly what it takes for me to get them. I do not think I a alone is this and I am sure many members have the same history.

If you perceive that the items you buy are a good value for your money, then have a nut. But do not think you that you have the right to tell me that what I what I perceive to be a good value is junk. To do so makes you look snobbish, petty, and small.

I personally thought this thread had good info and input until the "Lee Bashing" started. Downright disappointing.

HangFireW8
01-26-2016, 02:04 PM
I'll say it again since some won't hear. I had a RC and a Classic Cast. I wanted a third press (for assembly line style precision reloading) so I bought another of the better press- the Lee.

I have every other brand, it's not like I couldn't afford whatever I wanted.

Buttonbuck
01-26-2016, 02:23 PM
Yes I want to buy what works. What makes forums great is that being a parent of 12 and 9yo that are homeschooled is shooting is part of the curriculum. Making economic decisions, social interaction, respectful dialogue, research, outside education, recycling and ballistics is part of the curriculum. The end result is pride in a well placed shot on a paper target or your quarry. Like many I suspect I have too many irons in the fire. Archery, traditional muzzleloading (1/2 of my guns) slug, pistol and soon rifle. Yes money figures in because we sell off the excess, trade up and purge ruthlessly things that don't work for us. In the end we strive for fun, education and satisfaction. Thanks for the help I find what is most valuable is concrete statements like the primers feed better, the quick change on the dies is precise on brand x compared to brand y. I like the adjustability of x compared to y.

dudel
01-26-2016, 03:24 PM
Wanting a single stage press for rifle bullets, sizing, maybe making some brass 410 shells etc. I have the cast Turret kit and bought an additional lee perfect powder measured. I was hoping to use lee dies with quick change dies preferably Hornady L&L because they are cheaper than lee. I've been looking at the deals on the rock chucker supreme press with its rebate vs the Lee cast iron press cost wise it's a wash. The strongest thing I see is the RCBS powder dispenser that comes with the kit. I would be loading 30/30 and 30/06 when I buy one this spring. I have been downsizing the number of firearms/calibers and striving for versitility and simplicity in the wood shop and want the reloading/casting area to be uncluttered by redundancy.

I think you have figured this out on your own. If cost wise both are a wash, and you prefer the Hornady quick change dies (because they cost less than the Lee version), and you like the RCBS powder dispenser that comes with the kit you are looking for, then go with the RCBS.

It seems that a tougher skin is required if you go with Lee!

Buttonbuck
01-26-2016, 04:49 PM
Really the big question is how well quick changing the dies works. Especially with how accurately they will index

Buttonbuck
01-26-2016, 05:00 PM
Really the big question is how well both presses will work with quick change bushings? I am trying to keep my adjustments down to a minimum between dies and different calibers.

dudel
01-26-2016, 05:58 PM
Really the big question is how well both presses will work with quick change bushings? I am trying to keep my adjustments down to a minimum between dies and different calibers.

Personally, I'm not a big fan of the quick change bushing, so take this with a small grain of propellant. prior to quick change bushings, I would set the die, then use a Hornady style lock ring. The type of ring that locks to the die. At that point, it was just a matter of spinning the die down to the lock ring and that was it. Sizing dies were particularly easy, you just grip the de-capping pin between two fingers and spin. Once you commit to quick change, you need the same style on all your presses. Lee quick changes don't interchange with Hornady. We went from standard dies which could be used on any modern press, to proprietary bushings that lock you to a specific vendor. I'm not sure that's progress. If you end up later with a progressive, you need new sets of dies or have to remove and replace them in the bushings.

One last thing, since the distance of the ram (at the raised position) to the bottom of the frame top is likely to change between presses, i'd be surprised if you could keep the same setting. If you had multiples of the same press, it might work.

triggerhappy243
01-27-2016, 02:00 AM
dudel................. excellent points.

sparky508
01-27-2016, 11:34 AM
One last thing, since the distance of the ram (at the raised position) to the bottom of the frame top is likely to change between presses, i'd be surprised if you could keep the same setting. If you had multiples of the same press, it might work.

Once you figure out the difference, between the two, or more... an arbor shim of the appropriate thickness under the adapter bushing will dial this in.

Geezer in NH
02-03-2016, 06:54 PM
I have 4 presses, 2 Lee classic cast, 1 Lyman Spartan turret and my original Redding heavy C single station press. As a former shop owner I had many presses and this is what I kept. However, as for dies and other things RCBS gets the best results IMHO.

I like stuff that works with out drama and there other than the presses are at the top IMHO.

Again I will use what works for the best cost, I have dies from 4 company's and they do what I want then. Having to keep sending stuff back does not make any manufacture a favorite.

I also will not send back a used item to one for free fix as I will always pay them after wood.

Hick
02-03-2016, 09:42 PM
Haven't tried Lee. Love my RCBS press, powder measure and scale--very flexible for all the types I load (38 Special, 9x18 Makarov, 32 Winchester Special, 30-30, and 30-06 for my Garand).

DaveInFloweryBranchGA
02-04-2016, 02:01 PM

I have used both presses with the Hornady Quick change bushings. They both work equally well. You install the die in a bushing, mount it in the press, adjust the die, lock the die in the bushing. When you're done with the die, remove it and bushing from the press. When you reinstall it in the press, the press with die are ready to go. No new adjustments needed on the die.

People will argue till their blue in the face, but what you will consistently see is when both presses are bought by someone and both presses used on the bench, the buyer generally keeps the Lee and sells the RCBS. That's not to say the RCBS is a bad press. It is a very good one. The Lee is simply a more modern design of the RCBS with improvements. It really is that simple.

jmort
02-04-2016, 02:18 PM
^^^ This is what I am seeing as well.

LUBEDUDE
02-04-2016, 02:25 PM
-----------------

The Lee is simply a more modern design of the RCBS with improvements. --------------.

What are the improvements of the Lee?

I've never worked with this press before, you now have my curiosity.

shoot-n-lead
02-04-2016, 02:30 PM
I had a USA made Rock Chucker and the Lee Classic Cast on my bench for three months comparing them with no bias, as I like both companies. I still have the Lee, the RC has been sold long ago. The Lee was simply the better press.

Sold my Rock Chucker, that had been around since the late 80's...after trying the Classic Cast.

jmort
02-04-2016, 02:34 PM
"What are the improvements of the Lee?"

I was only referring to the fact that most of the posts I read, where someone has both the RC and the CC, they more often than not find the CC better and chuck the Chucker. This is from Lee's site and is obviously biased, but no doubt there is some fact mixed in there

Classic Cast Press

Classic Cast Press
The largest opening in the industry and the longest stroke -- yet handle is adjustable to provide the least travel of any press. Rigid cast iron construction in a classic "O" design for maximum strength. Baked powder coating is durable and makes the Classic Cast a handsome addition to any reloading bench. Adjustable handle is movable side to side for left or right hand operation. Start and stop position is adjustable with a 48-tooth ratchet type handle clamp. In addition, the handle length is completely adjustable. Shorten it when loading handgun and short rifle cases. Automatic primer arm with bottom of stroke priming for best feel. Includes two primer arms for large and small primers. No more fumbling with tiny guides and springs. Largest 1 1/8 diameter hollow ram to catch every primer with hose fitting to allow primer disposal directly to a trash can. Supported by over 12 square inches of ram bearing surface. Threaded die adapter accepts standard 7/8-14 dies, remove and the press accepts 1 1/4-12 large series dies. Powerful compound linkage with positive travel stop prevents pres toggle "cam over." Accepts standard shell holders, ram insert can be rotated to allow primer installation on right or left side.

Buttonbuck
02-04-2016, 03:38 PM
So a smoking deal came my way which I couldn't pass up shot my budget until I sell off some stuff. I have like 11 Months to decide and sell junk off. It's part of the fun. I think I'll try out both presses if I can at a class or at the FFLs.

LUBEDUDE
02-04-2016, 03:49 PM
Thank you Jmort! :) Looks like good features and benefits.

HangFireW8
02-04-2016, 05:10 PM
What are the improvements of the Lee?

I've never worked with this press before, you now have my curiosity.

Well, I'll answer. The priming is greatly improved, the priming arm doesn't get in the way like it can on my RC. The other thing is the spent primers and their dirt go out an aquarium tube out the bottom, instead of "maybe" into the cup on the RC, and the dirt all over the ram.

The Lee is also a little bit bigger, with more hand clearance.

I didn't sell my RC. I have them set up 3 in a row, RC-Lee-Lee for assembly-line style precision rifle reloading. For handgun, I have a progressive. I use threaded inserts not anyone's quick change system, just my personal preference.

yovinny
02-04-2016, 05:52 PM
I use a pair of RC's as my single stage presses, one was old and well used when I got in 1982, it's still going strong.
My range box holds an rcbs partner press, used less and lighter weight, but again still going strong 30+ years.

I might try the cast lee if I need another, but I'm probably going to be at least another decade getting the taste of their PRO 1000 *** out of my mouth.

Just my .02

Geezer in NH
02-04-2016, 06:41 PM
Also to break a cast iron press how???? almost 50 years loading and never had no matter who made it.

DaveInFloweryBranchGA
02-05-2016, 09:23 AM
Also to break a cast iron press how???? almost 50 years loading and never had no matter who made it.

Use it as a swaging press, that's how to break even the best cast iron presses. That said, if you're doing standard reloading, the cast irons are hard to beat.

DaveInFloweryBranchGA
02-05-2016, 09:24 AM
I use a pair of RC's as my single stage presses, one was old and well used when I got in 1982, it's still going strong.
My range box holds an rcbs partner press, used less and lighter weight, but again still going strong 30+ years.

I might try the cast lee if I need another, but I'm probably going to be at least another decade getting the taste of their PRO 1000 *** out of my mouth.

Just my .02

One press has nothing to do with the other. One was Dad's design, the other was son's design.

Lefty Red
02-09-2016, 12:56 AM
I got to go with the Lee Classic Cast. Didn't see the extra price on the Chucker was worth it.

And as someone that was taught to reload metallic from here a long time ago, I started with Lee, and still with them. But I'm no companies fanboy. I have different shades of greens and reds on my bench. Just added a splash of blue even! :)
Good stuff is good stuff. I don't color coordinate. :)

MakeMineLead
02-09-2016, 02:35 PM
Lee for primer disposal. Once you have one w/ a hollow ram the catch cups are just stupid. As far as lasting. People swage w/ the Lee Classic Cast. Far be it from me to tell others how to spend their money. But paying more for a press because of the name on it foolish.

+ 1

I have a Classic Cast which was purchased when they first came out. It's still prefect. The Hollow ram (yes, a Redding Innovation) primer disposal is sweet. It's the only single stage press a man will ever need.

I did did have the toggle piece/ handle attachment part on my 35 Y/O RCBS luber-sizer break (spot weld broke) RCBS sent out a free Repair part ASAP

dudel
02-10-2016, 08:36 AM

I doubt you'd break any casting out there; but a press is much more than the casting.

Breaking/bending pins, linkage arms, shellholder slots will also take a press out of action. Lee had some problems with the linkage arms; but I don't think it was on the Classic Cast press.

OS OK
02-10-2016, 09:29 PM
I have broken parts on my Lee Classic Cast twice now and Lee refused to cover the parts under warranty. I was honest and told them I was swaging bullets. I have broken parts on my Lyman T-Mag II twice and had to pay for the replacement parts myself. I have broken parts on my RCBS and they shipped parts for free, even though I told them it was my fault. I have broken several parts on my Hornady LNL and they have sent replacement parts for free.

I'll buy the brand of whatever 'whatchamacallit' you got that you ain't broke. These companies are missing an opportunity for ultimate durability testing in your shop!
So far you have broken everything I own..to the press!

OS OK :P

Buttonbuck
02-10-2016, 10:51 PM
As of now I'm most familiar with the cast turret I own and my lee 20 gauge shotgun press for my daughters slugs and my Mec 600 for 12 gauge. As said I'm not a fanboy I just want to do what will work well for the rifle cartridges being 30/30 3006 and possibly .223 for my AR loads for coyotes. Really this thread has given me the practical advice I needed especially that the quick change ring on the dies is kind of a weak point. I will go with the locking ring as a means to index my dies over the quick change. Now the bench building can begin and I can stop fighting with the wife over the laundry table I built her. I have some 2" barn wood earmarked for the bench.

jimkim
02-10-2016, 11:43 PM
They had problems with the alloy toggle links on the old Challenger. They discontinued the alloy links in 2004, and replaced them with steel. The funny thing was they used the same toggles with the turret press, and you never saw them break with it. I think, the difference was the handle. I had a 1982 turret press, and my entire handle/lever assembly was that alloy. I think that handle had more clamping powder than that washer and bolt. Lee claimed that the toggles would break if the bolt loosened. They said the toggle would twist under load and snap. Now they have a few issues with the handle cracking if it's over tightened. They use sintered steel. It's very strong, but it's more brittle than cast would be. I think they could easily fix this by adding a crush washer, or annealing the parts with a heat treat oven.

OS OK
02-10-2016, 11:45 PM
As of now I'm most familiar with the cast turret I own and my lee 20 gauge shotgun press for my daughters slugs and my Mec 600 for 12 gauge. As said I'm not a fanboy I just want to do what will work well for the rifle cartridges being 30/30 3006 and possibly .223 for my AR loads for coyotes. Really this thread has given me the practical advice I needed especially that the quick change ring on the dies is kind of a weak point. I will go with the locking ring as a means to index my dies over the quick change. Now the bench building can begin and I can stop fighting with the wife over the laundry table I built her. I have some 2" barn wood earmarked for the bench.

There is a thread on here about…'post pictures of your loading bench'…be sure to check it out before you crank up the skillsaw!

Buttonbuck
02-11-2016, 09:14 PM
Definitely looking at pics and a means to mount the stations. I do my casting on the driveway to reduce lead exposure on surfaces. I have an old hospital food serving station like what you eat off of in a hospital bed.